Gibson Brands Forums

NGD......I llittle Rickenbacker action!

NHTom

So what do you think of it?

I have to say that this is one of the most interesting guitars I've ever had.

It is a very small feeling guitar. Light, compact feeling, yet feels very solid in your hands. Very nice build quality and fit and finish.

Part of what I find interesting about it is that the sound of it makes me play differently. You always hear the term "Jangly" thrown around about Ric's, but it's actually very accurate. It's like a Tele Twang, but different.......

It loves to have big open chords smacked hard with almost a ripping feel to them.......they "snap" and "Ring" really well. All notes are very crisp and clear.

It is not a "fat" sounding guitar at all........I used to think of that as a fault, but I'm learning to think in the context of a song more. I'm picturing this thing layered over the nice thick sound of my R8, and I think the two sounds working together would be incredible.

It gives me a new and even higher appreciation for the "Ric guys" like Tom Petty, Mike Campbell, Peter Buck, etc.........

I will say, this is NOT a do all guitar. It will do a lot, but a bit of a specialty. I see why the players who use them, like them. It fits in well with the herd....exactly why I have LP's with humbuckers and P90's, strats and teles, etc.......each one has it's own voice and this one is definitely unique, but really cool too.

Very happy with it. Fills a great niche in the fleet!!!

NHTom

I have to say that this is one of the most interesting guitars I've ever had.

It is a very small feeling guitar. Light, compact feeling, yet feels very solid in your hands. Very nice build quality and fit and finish.

Part of what I find interesting about it is that the sound of it makes me play differently. You always hear the term "Jangly" thrown around about Ric's, but it's actually very accurate. It's like a Tele Twang, but different.......

It loves to have big open chords smacked hard with almost a ripping feel to them.......they "snap" and "Ring" really well. All notes are very crisp and clear.

It is not a "fat" sounding guitar at all........I used to think of that as a fault, but I'm learning to think in the context of a song more. I'm picturing this thing layered over the nice thick sound of my R8, and I think the two sounds working together would be incredible.

It gives me a new and even higher appreciation for the "Ric guys" like Tom Petty, Mike Campbell, Peter Buck, etc.........

I will say, this is NOT a do all guitar. It will do a lot, but a bit of a specialty. I see why the players who use them, like them. It fits in well with the herd....exactly why I have LP's with humbuckers and P90's, strats and teles, etc.......each one has it's own voice and this one is definitely unique, but really cool too.

Very happy with it. Fills a great niche in the fleet!!!

NHTom

A great and informational write-up, NHTom!

Thanks for that.

:)

Archived