Gibson Brands Forums: 2019 Les Paul Tributes...Gibson, we have a problem - Gibson Brands Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2019 Les Paul Tributes...Gibson, we have a problem

#41 User is offline   Rabs 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:01 PM

View Postpippy, on 14 September 2018 - 03:59 PM, said:

I hadn't seen that comparison set before, Rabs, and found it very interesting indeed.

I've only listened to the clip on my crappy PC's speakers but my initial impressions were firstly how much more focused / less wide ranging was the sound of the 2010 Standard compared with the other guitars; secondly how different the Classic sounded in comparison to the rest.
I really MUST listen to them all several times through 'phones and take notes as I go along.
Thanks for posting!

Posted Image

Pip.

Yeah it is interesting.. And im not saying in any way by my lackadaisical statements that there are no differences between them, rather that to me while I do hear some differences, they all sound like what I think a Les Paul should sound like :)

Mostly I think its down to the pickups.. They are all stock so two different sets of P90s, the ceramic twins and the 2010 Standard has Burstbucker Pros which have alnico V magnets in them.. And since we are at it has what they call an Enlarged Neck Tenon ( http://www.gibson.co...d/Features.aspx ).. Its why I love them all, they each bring something just slightly different yet are all Les Paul enough to keep me happy.

Ohh and by the way, if anyone notices my inconsistency of calling my Standard a 2008 or 2010.. Theres a good reason for that.. If you remember (and you probably will) a 2010 Standard was one of their robot guitars... What I actually have is a 2008 Standard spec'd guitar made in 2010.. What I was told was that these had been on a back order or something and Gibson were still making them in 2010 which I know as I have one :) So when I made that video I was calling it a 2008.. Now to avoid confusion in my head of when it was made I call it a 2010 Standard. So there :)

(edit)
I was just reading about what the enlarged neck tenon is. Interesting

New Enlarged Neck Tenon
The 2008 Les Paul Standard sports a revolutionary enlarged neck tenon designed by Gibson’s team of pioneering engineers. The expanded neck tenon features an innovative interlocking joint that allows the neck to be dropped into the body from the guitar’s top side, as opposed to sliding the neck in from the rim. When the glue is added, a solid unyielding bond is created that maximizes the wood to wood contact between the neck and the body, offering increased stability and superb transfer of vibration for enhanced tone, improved sustain, and superior resonance. It is also the largest neck tenon in the history of the Les Paul. :o

Which would look something like this
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Rabs: 14 September 2018 - 08:13 PM

"Im the one thats going to have to die when its time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I WANT TOO" Jimi Hendrix

#42 User is offline   MichaelT 

• Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
  • LocationSomewhere in Kentucky

Posted 17 September 2018 - 06:38 AM

View Postpippy, on 14 September 2018 - 03:59 PM, said:

Thanks for the kind words and the forbearance in my indulgence for posting the same hoary old snaps yet again.
It was looking closely at your own clutch of Lesters and their individual specs which really drew me in to this post.

I particularly love your Gold Tops.
I've long hankered after a '56 style LP mainly because I don't have a P-90 guitar and much as I love the original - and unplayable - '52 GTs the '56 model had the most practical "user" specs. It was also (not that it matters to many) the version played by Danny Kirwan who must be one of my absolute favourite guitarists of all-time. Sublime phrasing. Your 2018 Classic is a Damn-Near-Perfect recreation and an affordable option to an R6 but 11lbs is, quite frankly, unattractive. Your 2017 Tribute would also be Damn-Near-Perfect as an alternative to a playable 1952 Re-Issue if the post-holes for the bridge and stop-tail could be disguised...

However I must emphasise that IMO neither of your instruments are lacking in any regard whatsoever and I heartily congratulate you on your GT pair. Gorgeous creatures both.

Posted Image
Pip.

Thank you for the compliments as well. The 2018 Classic has no weight relief but I've played some that weren't nearly as heavy. I think a lot of them are between 9 and 10 pounds. I agree about the 1956 Les Pauls. I wanted one for a while and got the Tribute first and it turned out to be a fantastic guitar. The Classic is almost like an R6 and I just had to have it for its sound and feel. And, the discount I got for that guitar from Sweetwater made it very desirable as well. I considered putting period correct volume/tone knobs, pointers, truss rod cover and tuners on it. It's a really nice sounding guitar with the band and really cuts through. The clean sound is fantastic out of those P90's. It'll definitely cause some shoulder ache after a few hours.

#43 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Jumbo Go Away
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 17 September 2018 - 10:02 AM

View PostMichaelT, on 14 September 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

Might as well have it all! We didn't mention truss rod covers or "poker chip" yet though. Oh, wait, I just did. Oh crap.

Pickguard on or off?

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users