Gibson Brands Forums

Great Lead Guitar Players That Are Also Great Singers

kaleb

- Dave Meniketti (Y&T)

- John Sykes

- Zakk Wylde (at least in the 90s)

- Myles Kennedy (perhaps he's a great singer who's also a great guitar player?)

- Joe Perry

- Joe Bonamassa

- Joe Walsh

- Richie Kotzen

- Damon Johnson (Brother Cane, Alice Cooper, Thin Lizzy/Black Star Riders)

There's my list.

I would put Clapton at or very near the top of this list even though I don't follow him or even dig his stuff these days. He made his name as a player then singer and for most of the 70s was the premier rock musician in this position. Was Hendrix a great vocalist? I loved his voice as well as the guitar playing but think he himself would not have claimed to be a great vocalist.

On the other hand, B.B.King, Albert King, Otis Rush, Buddy Guy, T-Bone Walker and many more all preceded the rockers....where do you wanna start?

Wow, so many.... [confused]

Pretty much all of the above mentioned, plus

George Thorogood

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Lindsey Buckingham

Paul Simon

George Harrison

Tom Petty

Mellisa Etheridge (saw her do a solo show with a 12 string...)

Roy Orbison

and the list goes on and on...

D@mn, now I'm gonna have to break out Bring 'Em Back Alive.

I had the pleasure of opening for that lineup for three shows around here back then, right before that record came out. Of all the music I've owned in my life, it is one of very few records I would not want to be without. When I saw Hughie in...ojeez, I think 05, he was still one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. Truly a great band, and that is one of thee best records ever. With that said, I'm off to get the iPod...

rct

I had the pleasure of opening for that lineup for three shows around here back then, right before that record came out. Of all the music I've owned in my life, it is one of very few records I would not want to be without. When I saw Hughie in...ojeez, I think 05, he was still one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. Truly a great band, and that is one of thee best records ever. With that said, I'm off to get the iPod...

rct

Yep. Spent tha afternoon listening to that album and some of the earlier studio records while soldering up some stuff. It's definitely on my all time favorites list. Wish I had seen them live back then - I might've even applauded the opening act. [thumbup]

I really admire players that can do this. I sang backup but there is no way I can play guitar and sing at the same time. I'm better at it with piano but not good enough.

Geddy Lee always amazed me because his bass player is constantly moving with complex rhythms. I have no idea how he can sing while playing like that.

Robert Cray - the greatest hardtail Strat player in my opinion

Ian Gillan - I heard him playing in Munich during the Mr Universe tour in 1980, and he did it very great

Tom Johnston - he always was the very voice of The Doobie Brothers to me

Steve lukather?

Elvis?

Hmmmmmmmm

Steve Lukather can be mentioned as impressive lead vocalist. From the early Toto years, Georgy Porgy is a very great song to my taste, and listen to the whole Kingdom of Desire album - I think there's nothing missing.

Richie Sambora, just look at tracks like Dry County for some epic lead playing on the Bon Jovi side, and anything from his solo side for the lead playing and vocals.

River of Love and Rosie are two standout tracks from 'Stranger in This Town' with a good mix of lead and vocals. Harlem Rain is a superb acoustic track from 'Undiscovered Soul' which shows the variety the guy can achieve.

Archived