Gibson Brands Forums

New guitar, what should I get?

Jammin'

Hey guys, I currently have a 2011 fender strat. I'm looking into either a Les Paul (standard) or a SG (standard or angus young). Any input on which type or model I should get? I have played both, and am leaning towards les paul. I would be very helpful though, if someone could go through the pros and cons of each.

^- Fine guitars, indeed, hard to argue with a 335 as a good choice..

however..

One of the standard operating procedures for many years IMO for guitar players to "cover all the basis" is a Strat and a Paul.

Vote - Paul

Try a few, some are better than others, LP's have a distinct sound of their own, as have SG's.

My personal experience of the two is that I prefer the upper fret access of an SG, but prefer the sound and underlying soul that only a Les Paul has. I too, am a predominantly Strat biased guitarist too.

Both are great guitars and as said you gotta try them to really know..

BUT watch for neck dive on those SGs, they are famous for it (and it can be rectified with a good strap but I hate it)....

Also coming from a Strat to a Gibson you gotta watch the necks.. You have two main types 50s (rounded larger neck) and a 60s (slimmer more tapered).. However in saying that EVERY neck even on the same models are all unique as they are hand finished so really you MUST try them to know.. Its sometimes worth asking at the shops if they have more than one model in the back and ask them to get it out, so if you see one you like but don't like the neck as if they have more, its worth it.

Apart from that it also depends on what sort of music you want to play which may help you narrow your choices down a bit.. You have Burstbuckers that are great for all sorts of music, 57s which are more mellow and good for blues and classic rock and a few other types.. Check this page http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/humbuckers-1013-2011.aspx

If you like em, a semi hollow like a 335, 339 or 336 are amazing all round guitars if you can stretch that far and like that body style..

Happy hunting and let us know which way you go :) [thumbup]

Oh also one last thing.. You should also look at the LP Traditionals, they are very much like standards (some would say better) and you also have LP Classics if you can find one that are great guitars with REALLY hot pickups.

It also depends on what you like. Looking for a guitar that is radically different from a Strat, a Les Paul could be your choice for fat tone and superb sustain. The tone of SG guitars is more slim compared to a Les Paul with less sustain and obvious dull notes in many cases.

What ARE these "dull notes," you folks keep talking about, regarding SG's???! [confused]

My SG's have no "dull notes," per se'...and plenty of sustain! So, enlighten me, please! [tongue]

CB

Typically around 5th...7th fret on the B2nd, and 9th...11th fret on the G3rd, hardtail SGs lack fundamentals, and around 9th...11th fret on the G3rd they lack the 2nd harmonic, too. This causes weak notes on th B2nd when playing clean, and howling notes when playing heavily distorted. The notes on the G3rd tend to be pure staccato notes on all-mahogany SGs when playing clean, and squeal their 3rd harmonic for a short time at high gain settings. Three SGs of bandmates amd my own 1978 S-G Standard are affected as well as a few dozens more hardtail SGs I got to know during the past 33 years.

Maple-bodied (like my Supra), maple-topped and all kinds of vibrato SGs (like my Frank Zappa "Roxy" ones) perform much better in this respect.

Interesting, capmaster. Must be in a frequency, that I can no longer hear? My "baked maple" board

'61 SG "Satin" and my SG "Original" w/maestro, both seem fine, in those areas, you mentioned. There

are some areas, on ALL my guitars, that have somewhat less sustain, on various strings. Not sure if

that's what you're talking about, but it seems to exist on every guitar. Might be "bad" technique,

on my part, or a less than perfect setup, or fret dressings? Not sure. I know that the humidity,

out here, can play Hell, with neck relief, at certain times of the year. But, what you're describing,

sounds like something "inherent" in the design...or, not???

Again, maybe I'm not sophisticated/clever/enlightened enough, to be conscious of what you're

all talking about?? Wouldn't be the first time...LOL! [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Its a matter of needs and comfort, bro.

I got an LP cause it sounds amazing.....but

I got an SG next because it sounds almost as amazing and is LESS HEAVY......but

I got a Strat because it is as light as the SG, without it being top-heavy, and though its not as balls to the wall as the LP in sound, I can play it longer standing and I like the change from pup to pup and its just comfortable, damnit! If you get hot pups it can sound real kick arse.

So that's how I ended up with these guitars, it was a needs thing. If I would have just noted ALL my needs and not just gotten what was meeting some of my needs and desires I may only ever have gotten my Strat, though I must admit that my SG is the one I'd save in a fire.

I've used the analogy before and I'll use it again,

Les Paul - Hot chick everyone wants. Red mini and heels. When she hangs off you, you feel like a rock star because people are like, "wow, look at that lucky mo' fo'." She's intimidating because she has so much power. Sometimes you don't feel worthy of her. You mess up and you damn near apologize to her.

SG - Best friend. The pretty girl next door. Jeans and a T-shirt. You can hang with her and never tire of her and you don't feel self conscious around her and once in a while you look at her and think, "man, this is wife material." You mess up and she doesn't judge. You both just giggle.

Strat - Catholic school girl. Easy on the eyes...and just plain easy. You've seen everyone and their brother handle her so you think, "uhm, why is she SO popular?" Then you go out with her and you're like, "well THAT answered my question!" You may never want another girl because she's NEAR as sexy as the LP and as familiar and comforting as the SG.

Don't ask me about their cousins and sisters. The Mustang is Strat's kid sister in a training bra. The Flying V is a motorcycle chick with a switchblade. Seriously, this can go on forever...lol [flapper]

I think CB and I are basically of the same mind.

Here's the deal: Take a Strat and put a shorter scale neck on it, and no other changes, and your change in technique alone will affect the sound you get out of it even with all else equal.

I do not like the Strat. Never have. I don't like Fender necks, excluding Fender Basses that I like. I really don't care for how a Fender feels overall. But... I don't care for the LP for the same sort of reason: It just ain't comfortable for me to play how and what I play. Dunno why.

None of that hits at quality depending on how "You" consider quality. It's more a matter that at a certain point in one's guitar playing, one tends to realize that some instruments fit the sorts of things you're playing.

I own only one solidbody: An early '70s Guild S100c that's pretty much a "clone" of an SG but IMHO better overall playability for what I do - and a hugely versatile instrument I've used for jazz, rock, blues, country, country/rock... and all at the same time wearing 8-38 strings that supposedly cannot sound like the thing sounds. Okay. Whatever.

I have a cupla semis of the 335 shapes. Marvelously versatile but they play best for me when I'm sitting and holding them quite differently than I play any other guitar. When I'm in the mood for one of 'em, they're marvelous for bluesing up anything I'm likely to be playing - and they've even worked well enough for a fingerpicked bit of "Classical Gas." When I'm not in the mood for that shape or need them as a "horrid weather archtop" they stay in the case.

That last comment shows my comfort factor. I'm sorta a medium-size guy, arms shorter than most in comparison to the body. (32-inch dress shirt sleeves are too long.) I began playing on a classical guitar. My favored instruments for just pickin' around are 16-inch lower bout archtops with a 24 to 24 3/4 scale. My favored AE that plays the same stuff is not one of the nice and far more expensive "big bodies," but a cheapie Epi PR5e that's almost the same shape as an ES175, Epi Joe Pass, etc., etc., etc.

Bottom line here is you can buy all sorts of guitars because others play them, or you can find a guitar that plays itself for your fingers' touch. You don't wanna know how many guitars I went through during the first 20 years of pickin' and thinking that way.

Are you like me? Play as I do? Have the same geometry? No?

I'd say find your own, but don't get hung-up that "Gee, 'WE' don't use a Gretsch in our kinda music,'" or "All the pickers I like are using a 'Blankey X' style guitar." They use that guitar for various reasons in their heads and physical geometry. Is a copy that important? Or might a 'guitar that loves you' be a far better choice?

EDIT: I ain't gonna ask Izzy what she figures a 175 might be as a ... uhhhh ... girl.

Perhaps she's the lady teaching classical lit at university wearing tweeds, khakis and penny loafers who that evening pulls on a LBD and CFM heels, Grandma's cameo necklace and Opium for the opera; the next morning is in baggy jeans and such to go deer hunting in the high hills with a properly fitted bolt action - and then sings the h-e-doubletoothpick outa something Ella-like. The weekend morning it's an old-style Asian martial arts workout before a supper of carne asda y mariachi music... and... Howdat, Iz?

m

EDIT: I ain't gonna ask Izzy what she figures a 175 might be as a ... uhhhh ... girl.

Perhaps she's the lady teaching classical lit at university wearing tweeds, khakis and penny loafers who that evening pulls on a LBD and CFM heels, Grandma's cameo necklace and Opium for the opera; the next morning is in baggy jeans and such to go deer hunting in the high hills with a properly fitted bolt action - and then sings the h-e-doubletoothpick outa something Ella-like. The weekend morning it's an old-style Asian martial arts workout before a supper of carne asda y mariachi music... and... Howdat, Iz?

m

I reckon you married this miracle. I would O.O

I gotta meet more chicks! [thumbup]

Izzy...

Pretty much except the singing. Never could figure that one. Didn't even care to sing backup when she was playing bass in the trio.

But mean... mean as my Grandma if she thinks somebody's pushin' her around. Luckily neither would shoot anybody by accident.

And she likes me pickin' the 175. <grin>

m

Guest Farnsbarns

Typically around 5th...7th fret on the B2nd, and 9th...11th fret on the G3rd, hardtail SGs lack fundamentals, and around 9th...11th fret on the G3rd they lack the 2nd harmonic, too. This causes weak notes on th B2nd when playing clean, and howling notes when playing heavily distorted. The notes on the G3rd tend to be pure staccato notes on all-mahogany SGs when playing clean, and squeal their 3rd harmonic for a short time at high gain settings. Three SGs of bandmates amd my own 1978 S-G Standard are affected as well as a few dozens more hardtail SGs I got to know during the past 33 years.

Maple-bodied (like my Supra), maple-topped and all kinds of vibrato SGs (like my Frank Zappa "Roxy" ones) perform much better in this respect.

Every time I read one of your posts I like you a bit more. You have a very scientific approach when it comes to the physics of guitars. I hope you let the science go when you play! A healthy mix of science and creativity in a person is actually a rare thing. Ever considered a career in emarketing ?

Archived