Gibson Brands Forums

Head count

daveinspain

The Forum application lost connectivity to the database. At least that is what the error said. Why did it lose connectivity? Most likely the server that has the database was down and once it was restored the site came back. One thing the Admins need to do is to update the software ASAP. This version of the forum is very insecure and easily exploitable and it should become top priority for the Admins to get it done before the site does hacked and we have to read all about it on AGF.

Still not working properly.. VERY slow and no emails are coming through..

Same Here, Rabs.

Perhaps they're slowing down the Brit end as so many of us hereabouts have been joining recently........lol!

P.

The Forum application lost connectivity to the database. At least that is what the error said. Why did it lose connectivity? . . . . .

For those of us that have been around awhile, crashes like this one were a quarterly occurrence. Thankfully the occurrence rate has gone way down.

It's running okay for me in the US, but the post speed is very slow. If you keep a separate window/tab for the forum, you can reload it after you post and you'll see the post is made, meanwhile, the window with the the thread and post in it is still stalling on the reload of the thread - that's leading people to click "Add Reply" a second and third time, causing double and triple posts.

Regarding the cause - AFAIK, there haven't been official announcements about what caused these crashes. I gotta say, when a crash happens on a weekday and lasts longer than a few hours, there doesn't appear to be too high of a concern/priority on the maintenance of the forum.

I figured the Death thread got too literal.

rct

That's what I was thinking.

I started to go through withdraws and started looking at other forums. I'm glad it's back, the others just weren't fixing the Jones like this site does. (Though I did check out some cool Randall knives on knifeforums.)

Yeah, I began wondering whether what seemed as if a cordial and mostly philosophical discussion on "death" had led to the demise of the forum one way or another.

I hadn't noticed the slowdown, though, prior to the failure.

Haven't "we" been on an Amazon "cloud" somewhere? That seemed to have been the deal in the past.

All kidding aside, I think "we" are going to have to get used to a third world-style on our technology for a while - moreso if some of the solar flare predictions come to pass. That will be a zoo. Without computers and the web nowadays, you just plain don't do much if you're in the "media."

m

I figured the Death thread got too literal.

Proof positive there is life after death.

I, for one, was disappointed that thread was shut down. If they were going to shut it down, they should have after two or three pages instead of eight; even a mod contributed. Religion was only a small part, and some good discussion. Go figure.

Ziggie...

Ditto...

In a way, the "death" - or at least the coma - of the forum almost is an analog or metaphor for the thread itself.

"We" get used to something and then it's gone.

A parent, a friend... and "we" then wonder what happened, where did he/she/it go after the "shutdown."

It's interesting how each of us responding to the forum "glitch" will tend to automatically respond rather differently to the same circumstance, and would tend to wonder differently "where did it go."

Honestly, it's an interesting combination of circumstances that brought the forum failure simultaneous with the death of a thread on "what happens when" one is dead.

The truly interesting thing might not be so much the differing belief systems, but the different way in which individuals respond to loss of something/someone they've become used to - and what to blame.

Forget the actual loss of one's ongoing being, if you will, and consider this only as response to the forum's weekend outage. We are, after all, each of us part of this forum's "being."

... m

To be, or not to be, that is the question:

Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer

The Slings and Arrows of outrageous Fortune,

Or to take Arms against a Sea of troubles,

And by opposing end them: to die, to sleep

No more; and by a sleep, to say we end

The Heart-ache, and the thousand Natural shocks

That Flesh is heir to? 'Tis a consummation

Devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep,

To sleep, perchance to Dream; Aye, there's the rub,

For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come,

When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,

Must give us pause. There's the respect

That makes Calamity of so long life:

For who would bear the Whips and Scorns of time,

The Oppressor's wrong, the proud man's Contumely,

The pangs of despised Love, the Law’s delay,

The insolence of Office, and the Spurns

That patient merit of the unworthy takes,

When he himself might his Quietus make

With a bare Bodkin? Who would Fardels bear, ("bodkin," think dagger; "fardel" think heavy backpack)

To grunt and sweat under a weary life,

But that the dread of something after death,

The undiscovered Country, from whose bourn

No Traveller returns, Puzzles the will,

And makes us rather bear those ills we have,

Than fly to others that we know not of.

Thus Conscience does make Cowards of us all,

And thus the Native hue of Resolution

Is sicklied o'er, with the pale cast of Thought,

And enterprises of great pitch and moment,

With this regard their Currents turn awry,

And lose the name of Action.