Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul, 50s Tribute issues = crickets

nlowther

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That has clearly been repaired so it left the shop like that. If it was sold as seen you're screwed, more seeing was in order. I can't quite imagine how you'd miss that. I can't quite read the receipt in that pic, is there anything on it about being sold as seen or the damage?

Not sure but the reciept looks like there's no indication of anything about "used" or "as is." It says "1 Gibson LPXXXXX (Looks like the model designation) 1950's Tribute Gold, and then lists the serial number."

I deciphered the SKU and called my local GC and told them I wanted to buy one like my buddy had, that I wasn't sure what the model was, but that I had the SKU#. He said that the SKU numbers aren't the same for each store. Maybe I'll try calling that store in Orange, CA and ask them.

I mean, $600 is about right for a headstock repair right? If you're happy with the guitar, keep it, or return it and get a refund (if you can) and spend more and an intact guitar.

$600.00 would be too much for this guitar with a busted and repaired headstock. It's probably worth $400.00 tops. The repair isn't that great, either. The headstock doesn't look like it was fully returned to it's original position before it was glued.

as far as I know you won't get any warranty outside of USA, so you'd be best to ship it to a friend that lives close to the dealer and return it asap.

Gibson's lifetime warranty applies to guitars purchased in the US. Other provisions apply to guitars purchased outside the US. So the warranty wouldn't be excluded because of where it was bought, since it was bought in the US. [thumbup]

$600.00 would be too much for this guitar with a busted and repaired headstock. It's probably worth $400.00 tops. The repair isn't that great, either. The headstock doesn't look like it was fully returned to it's original position before it was glued.

that was my concern as well...wasn't "tap seated" properly, and an overall amateurish look to the repair in general, I mean really, couldn't even fill in the nail/pin holes when done?

1. Get ahold of the manager at the GC where you bought the guitar. I have had phone conversations with several different GC managers over several years trying to make sure a guitar I wanted to buy sight unseen was at least playable. In 2 cases, the guitar was NOT playable when I got it, despite assurances from the store manager and the guitar tech. I emailed them that I wanted to return it for a refund, they sent me a mailing label and I returned it and got my money refunded. I do not know how this would apply to you since you had it in hand when you bought it, nor how long the refund would be in effect, but I think you paid about $150 - $200 too much. Call them, send them pics and tell them the whole story. They SHOULD have pointed this out to you...that is a very poor repair and I would NOT have it touched up or cleaned up till I had tried to get a refund from GC. They do refund readily, which is about the best reason to buy from them. Their sales people seem like they have no idea what they are selling, but that bad break and poor repair should haver been pointed out when it was sold.

There is no way in hell that Les Paul shipped from Gibson like that...it would have been firewood.

2. IF you like the guitar otherwise, your repair/guitar mechanic may be able to stabilize and clean up that repair for a reasonable amount. I have an Epiphone Dot with a pretty ugly homemade repaired neck break and it plays very well and has been totally stable...I bought it dirt cheap, and it came with Gibson 490 humbuckers installed in it and it was in "an old hard case" which turned out to be a 1980's Gibson factory case for a 335, which is worth more by itself than I paid for the whole package...A decent repair will NEVER break again at the same place, but that one looks like it may need attention.

Good luck, whatever you decide...

Not sure but the reciept looks like there's no indication of anything about "used" or "as is." It says "1 Gibson LPXXXXX (Looks like the model designation) 1950's Tribute Gold, and then lists the serial number."

I deciphered the SKU and called my local GC and told them I wanted to buy one like my buddy had, that I wasn't sure what the model was, but that I had the SKU#. He said that the SKU numbers aren't the same for each store. Maybe I'll try calling that store in Orange, CA and ask them.

Zipper your'e a champion. I'll post a better copy of the receipt and the sale tag. I'll also call Block at Orange and see if I can talk to someone ion charge.

I'm going to see QOTSA and NIN tonight !! - good Americans, like you folk !

BTW. Finally a reply for Gibson. I have tried to contact GC, but they are ignoring my emails. They know damn well that I am in another country and are hoping I'm going to give up.

Hello Nick,

Thanks for writing, and we’re sorry to hear of the issue with your guitar. We don’t have any repair records for this instrument, but it does appear to have been broken and subsequently repaired based on the photos (of course we can’t be certain without a hand’s on evaluation). Gibson does not, and has not for quite some time, offer factory second or b-stock guitars, so it wouldn’t have been repaired by us.

We highly recommend contacting the store manager at the Guitar Center it was purchased from for any details on their history with the guitar. This guitar shipped to Guitar Center from us on 4/5/2013, so it was in their possession since that time; they should be able to fill you in on the details of the guitar, especially seeing as it was sold to you by them at a discount with known damage to the instrument.

Thank you for the inquiry.

From all the responses and pictures.. I am afraid to say that you need to call the number I sent you and see if you can pay for repair.. however the repair will more then likely cost more then you paid for the guitar.. before you give up CALL GIBSON and speak to someone don't be confrontational just tell them what is up and ask what you can do and what they suggest.. *)o(*b $600 for the guitar should have been your first clue.... I agree that this is well beyond a factory second.. and if the guitar was with you the full time the humidity atmosphere and Gravity issues from a transatlantic or pacific flight is never good... especially if you don't allow the guitar to adjust after landing..THIS IS A MAJOR DROP and BREAK from the look and it does not look like the factory repaired it... Again I would also look for a Reputable TECH and see what he suggest so you are not caught up in shipping the guitar.. I think at this stage that is going to be your only fix..*)o(*

Ed Roman used to claim that he INTENTIONALLY pre-emptively broke the headstocks off Gibsons that he was rebuilding to sell as HIS trademark guitars, then made the repair, because "it was gonna happen eventually anyway".

always a chytstorm swirling around him & his ideas.....but i've seen this quoted many times.

Ed Roman used to claim that he INTENTIONALLY pre-emptively broke the headstocks off Gibsons that he was rebuilding to sell as HIS trademark guitars, then made the repair, because "it was gonna happen eventually anyway".

always a chytstorm swirling around him & his ideas.....but i've seen this quoted many times.

[/quote

I don't agree with his thoughts on this all I want to see is this poor kid get out of the mess he is in with this AS IS repair what he purchased I was hoping at least he could find a competent Luthier to fix his guitar as it's going to go eventually.. the only other idea I came up with was purchase a stripped LP and have a good tech swap out the hardware so he had something trustworthy to play without having to spend another $1000

You can Try Warmoth Custom Guitar parts Bodies & necks and change out your hardware to a finished LP and neck they have per-finished Bodies and necks which for about $800 you could end up with something worthwhile or try EBAY under GIbson Bodies & necks there are indeed several that are listed and much cheaper just be careful warmoth at least will get you something that youwill find to be real wood and nicley finished as well as made or Ed Roman has custom gibson builds so there are several outs

Compare lpcp380a.jpg Details 5 lbs, 0 oz lpcp380 Chambered Regal Body

Vintage Tint Masked Binding. Clear Gloss Back. Contoured HeelSpecs: Maple on Mahogany, Rear Rout, H-X-H Pickup Routing, Drilled for TOM/STP, Angled Pocket, 7/8" (22mm) Side Jack Hole Jack, Vintage Tint Masked Binding Binding, Black Gloss Finish with a Clear Gloss back finish

I agree w/you BR T......I was just making casual observation.

in truth, although not the best looking repair, that guitar might just hold together forever, as is.

or it may snap back off tomorrow.....depending on the bonding agent used.

in the early '90s I had the headstock snap off an Electra SG copy & repaired it w/Elmers wood glue....it held just fine for a cpl. of years, then I sold the guitar & not long ago found the exact same guitar in pics someone posted online, w/MY repair still intact.

cheap axx Elmers had lasted +/- 20 yrs.......so if his was repaired w/anything better, it may just hold forever!

I was hoping at least he could find a competent Luthier to fix his guitar as it's going to go eventually..

You do realize that he is Australia

I 'm guessing because I'm 1000s of miles away in Australia

giving him names of good repair places in USA will not help him much..

Also looking at the way it was fixed, I don't think it will be a cheap re-repair.

"When I bought the guitar I inspected the headstock, neck and body and apart from a few marks on the body it looked like a normal Les Paul. Since returning to Australia, I have noticed a ridge/crack on the face on the headstock, which appears to be connected with a continuous crack around the top/ back of the neck and across the face of the headstock"

Did you inspect the guitar in person while handling it, or, did you inspect pictures of it? If you inspected it in person, bought it, then took it home on your flight with you, the damage occured in transit i would guess. It looks like a fairly typical headstock break. I think most breaks occur while the guitar is in the case in fact. Unless it's something to do with the air pressure in the plane.

If you only saw pics, then send it back to the store.

It's possible that they sold you a used guitar or a demo. I notice on the receipt that they charged you for the gig bag, that should come with the guitar at the very least. Did the guitar come with the paperwork that it should have? Does it have the warranty card, etc.? I once saw a Black Beauty at the Hollywood guitar center that had a neck that was cracked completely through. It is possible that they repaired that guitar and sold it to try and save or recoup some money.

It's possible that they sold you a used guitar or a demo. I notice on the receipt that they charged you for the gig bag, that should come with the guitar at the very least. Did the guitar come with the paperwork that it should have? Does it have the warranty card, etc.? I once saw a Black Beauty at the Hollywood guitar center that had a neck that was cracked completely through. It is possible that they repaired that guitar and sold it to try and save or recoup some money.

I got a reply from Anthony (Manager GC at Block at Orange) last week and spoke to Chris who said they are happy to replace the guitar, don't know how it was sold like that etc. I just have to ship it back to them, looking at estimates from UPS this is close to $400-500 !! which they will play for. I can't see that being worth their while, i'll have to call UPS to get a reality check on that online estimate.

You might try asking the managers of GC whether they have any contacts / franchises in Australia - or even try asking your nearest Gibson dealer how they deal with deliveries / returns from the USA.

I've only once tried UPS as an overseas delivery agent and the price they quoted me was around three times the going rate from some other companies.

Good to hear GC is prepared to swap the guitar, though!

Looking forward to seeing how this gets resolved.

P.

It sounds like there will be a happy ending for you.

I've always found both Gibson and Guitar Center to be great to deal with.

USPS is the way to go for international shipping but it's probably easier for them to just issue a call tag and use UPS. If the guitar wasn't broken before odds are it will be after UPS gets done with it, ha, ha.

Thanks for your replys guys. I bought the guitar in person, Its an easy defect to miss in a shop with no natural light - I though it was just part of the grain and this is a Gibson right? I'm not expecting to seem defects like this! it hasd scratches on the body and on from the tuning pegs - I though that was it. . You can see by the varnish in the crack that it has either been repaired and then re-varnished or the crack was evident during manufacture then repaired as best they could.

The guitar was with me on the plane all the way in a soft case ( yes they let me take it on the plane) in the compartment above me - if anyone dropped it, I would have seen or heard it.

I can tell you right now that headstock was broken off and repaired badly

WHen shipping the Guitar back.. OF all the shippers that you have access to the top three UPS FEDEX & DHL .. I would suggest that you do not use DHL.. I have only had problems with DHL not all of the time but the ne time I did have a problem it was with DHL.. *)o(*.. make sure to have the guitar professionally packaged *)o(*b

Archived