Gibson Brands Forums

I have yet to see a good looking guitar on this forum.

daveinspain

12Electronics.jpg

Headstock2.jpg

This project took me 2 years to complete. Three attempts at the gold leaf failed and the guitar had to be stripped and started over. I didn't do the gold leaf myself, I got a professional to do the work. I got someone who works restoring antiques but that's not the same as refinishing a guitar. She applied stucco to the top of the guitar in an attempt to fill the grain of the wood. The base guitar I used in the project was a LP worn brown studio, the finish wasn't smooth. After applying the gold leaf, what looked like a smooth surface was loaded with bumps and imperfections. Took the guitar back down to the wood. Next we applied the gold leaf strait to the wood. Came out beautiful. Sent the guitar to my luthier to apply the Nitro. After spraying the guitar black finger prints started popping out all over the gold leaf. Took the guitar back down to the wood again. After applying the gold leaf again a protective lacquer was immediately sprayed over the top to avoid any chance of that happening again. We still don't understand why but after the nitro was sprayed on again black lines appeared in the seems of the sheets of gold leaf. The guitar was taken down to the wood again. I was about to give up but decided to make one last attempt. Can't think of anything else we did differently but for some reason this last time it worked. Later many more coats of nitro were applied and Wha Laa... [biggrin] The gold leaf was expensive but I didn't get charged for every attempt…

The Gold leaf is not the 100% pure gold leaf that comes in smaller sheets and is much harder to work with but it does contain a good percentage of gold. The refinishing was just the last step of this project though. Every part of this guitar I hand picked. Some of the pieces were bought on ebay like the nickel tail piece and stop bar. I wanted 70's double line double ring tuners which I also found on ebay. The electronics I ordered from RS Guitar Work ( Jimmy Page push pull kit with bumble bee caps) The pups are Seymour Duncan custom shop Jimmy page 4 lead hum buckers. The first tone and volume knobs I put on were vintage amber but I later changed them to Gold reflectors.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok not to upset anyone but I have never been a big Strat fan (well this is a Gibson forum) [omg][smile] . I have had a few Strats over the years and my absolute favorite was my Fender Iron Maiden Strat,what a monster! I dont know how close it was to anything anybody in Maiden played but with the 3 stacked humbuckers and the Floyd Rose I had to buy it.Jet black with a mirror pickguard and a maple neck (I dig maple necks) it sounded killer and the tech at Mars where it came from did a free set up for me so it was amazing feeling after that.I never was able to find out much info on this axe,like how many were made,any reviews on them,Fender for some reason made it seem like they never exhisted.Still one killer axe.

MVC-106S.jpg

MVC-107S.jpg

How about a Parker P-38 one of the first inexpensive ones they made but still had all the bells and whistles and worked with most styles of music except harder rock or metal.Anybody ever have or play a Parker,dont hear much about them around the forum.

MVC-036S.jpg

MVC-027S.jpg

hey cookieman took my sienna burst strat...

no wait, it's still here... phew..

(really - it looks just a lot like yours, awesome guitars ay?)

and by the way,,, I had to wipe my keyboard off from the drool the white falcon left behind..

Damn you!!!

Of course they do !!! They look great all pretty'd up and outside for a picture :)

Cheers man....

And yes im pretty happy with them. I was just checking the weight of them the Oak one is about 9lbs and the beechwood one is about 7/8lbs.. which is about where youd want to be :)

Your guitars are unique… You can and should be very proud of them. I lean towards the pointy cut aways but thats just my preference, both guitars have lots of style... [thumbup]

Thank you for the kind words sir :)

Ahem....

Your Honor I believe the proposition stated in the title of this thread has hereby and forthwith been comprehensively disproved by the substantial and perhaps even incontrovertible evidence exhibited.

Archived