Gibson Brands Forums

Sometimes progress just ain't progress.....

Buc McMaster

Don't like the looks. Don't want it on the end of my guitar. Don't want to deal with it when it stops working (and it will stop working). Don't and won't buy a guitar with one of those on it. I know how to tune my guitars. Too many great used guitars out there to spend my money on this.,,,,,,,,Aside from the internet, I haven't heard any discussion regarding this.

According to the comments it's hard, if not impossible, to tune manually. So you have to remove it.

I would not pay extra for a tuner that I then have to remove and then replace my tuners. Let's hope Henry gets the message before he gets to the acoustics. Otherwise, I'd predict a serious drop in sales for however long those contraptions come with the guitar. I mean, the people on this very board have to constitute at least 15% of annual sales, right? Right? [thumbup]

Let's hope Henry gets the message before he gets to the acoustics.

Evidently he didn't get the message. ;) http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2016/J-45-Progressive.aspx

Gibson thinks it's "progress"… just look at the name.

J-45 Progressive

A handmade guitar for the contemporary progressive acoustic player

Combining our rich history of hand built acoustics with modern innovations the J-45 Progressive is outfitted with cutting-edge features to enhance all playing styles.

New and Improved for 2016

Gibson G Force Tuning System: Quick access to standard and alternate tunings

Tune-o-matic Bridge: Titanium saddles allow easy string height adjustments and superior acoustic guitar intonation

The only way I would ever buy a guitar with something like this added to it, is if it was completely invisable, weightless, and could be turned off and removed without leaving a trace. Oh, I forgot to add, the tuners would also have to work normally without any sign of interference from the thing. In other words, if you could make it go away...

One of rhe reasons I love acoustics is that they lack electronics. I don't want computer chips, batteries, wiring, or anything that would need plugging in to a socket or being charged in any way. The only acoustic I have with electronics is my recentt White Falcon 12-string, which has a combined pickup and tuner unit. If there had been a version without it, I would have jumped on it instead.

I love the fact that when it comes to pure acoustic instruments, the sound is all in the craftsmanship, design, and materials. It is pure! I have electrics, but I don't love them the same way I do with my acoustics. This tuning thing goes against what I want an instrument to be all about.

Lars

See my post above, they have already introduced a version of the J-45 with these tuners. One of those "long awaited" 2016 models. :rolleyes:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2016/J-45-Progressive.aspx

Not a guitar I'd be interested in….Richlite fretboard and bridge? …these specs plus the tuners would be dead-in-the-water for me….

It could LOOK better if it was mainly hidden somewhere, like the Baggs p/u or Fishman stuff.

But stuck there looking lonely? Maybe they will come up with something where most of it goes inside a peg case like the Rotomatics?

The bright Snarks looked horrid on a vintage guitar at first, but now everyone has them, so maybe we just need time to get used to that big black box sticking there?

BluesKing777.

I hesitate to bring this up, but "Progressive" is also a political philosophy which is sort of "liberalism on steroids". They should have done more research in marketing coming up with a name at least, since they missed the boat on the product "enhancements.

It's almost like they had a contest to see how much they could do to destroy the iconic Gibson J-45.

Henry had nothing to do with this. Just so you know.

A product manager in Nashville found himself with a boat load of the goofy tuners and he called Montana for help. The management in Montana has no idea of Gibson history or even what a good guitar is so they said we'll take a bunch. The marketing Dept. devoid of any intelligence came up with this so aptly coined "Frankenstein".

This is the direct result of Ren Ferguson leaving Gibson. They have no one that even knows how to tune a guitar let alone build one. Thus the auto tuner. Where is Val Bolitho when you need her? She got out just in time.

I have no idea where the bridge came from. Maybe someone saw a picture of a B-25 with a plastic adjustable bridge and out of ignorance thought it was cool. This is so unacceptable on so many levels. I can just see guys like Eldon Whitford, John Thomas, and George Gruhn rolling their eyes.

I saw trouble when they put flubber on the iconic Hummingbird and they got away with it. This is the next manifestation of their complete, total ignorance.

I can only imagine that the next new feature will be a tiny crank on the end of the J-200 that plays the Mickey Mouse theme when turned.

Gibson....Please hire a luthier and get the folks in the marketing dept. new jobs. I know the last Marketing Director quit but seriously you need to get help and fast.

When Gibson decided to do the "Homecoming" the intent was to use the folks as a resource for customer information. It's called a focus group. There are many who if asked would tell Gibson how foolish this idea was. All they had to do was ask. They have the names and E-mail addresses of all the folks that attend. Just ask if you don't know. Sure they will think you are ignorant for trying such a goofy stunt but at least the serious guitar community will be spared your ignorance. This is one guitar that Chris Martin won't copy.

The sad thing is that there is more to come and history won't be kind.

Funny you mention others copying it, Hogeye, because the makers of the tuning unit also have a new version that can be added at home to existing Gibsons and now Fenders, Charvel, Yamaha and Ibanez electrics as well as....ha ha...Taylor acoustics! [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

No mention of Martin....

Tronical Tune article:

http://www.gizmag.com/minetune-tronicaltune-robot-tuners/27155/

BluesKing777.

Hogeye - I use to have one of those ukelele- sized. plastic Mickey Mouse guitars with the little crank that played a music box song. I had forgotten all about it. Now, I'll have to forget all over again!

Seriously - this new J45 is frightening on many levels. If this is any indication of the direction Bozeman is going, or even how they intend to spend their scant Research and Development dollars - I will be turning in my Mickey Mouse Club ID card and looking for an alternative. Guitar Lite would probably describe me as a 'fan boy", but that will no longer apply if their Marketing geniuses trot out a Bride of Frankenstein to go with this one.

It's almost like they had a contest to see how much they could do to destroy the iconic Gibson J-45.

A product manager in Nashville found himself with a boat load of the goofy tuners and he called Montana for help. The management in Montana has no idea of Gibson history or even what a good guitar is so they said we'll take a bunch. The marketing Dept. devoid of any intelligence came up with this so aptly coined "Frankenstein".

This is the direct result of Ren Ferguson leaving Gibson. They have no one that even knows how to tune a guitar let alone build one. Thus the auto tuner. Where is Val Bolitho when you need her? She got out just in time.

I have no idea where the bridge came from. Maybe someone saw a picture of a B-25 with a plastic adjustable bridge and out of ignorance thought it was cool. This is so unacceptable on so many levels. I can just see guys like Eldon Whitford, John Thomas, and George Gruhn rolling their eyes.

I saw trouble when they put flubber on the iconic Hummingbird and they got away with it. This is the next manifestation of their complete, total ignorance.

I can only imagine that the next new feature will be a tiny crank on the end of the J-200 that plays the Mickey Mouse theme when turned.

Gibson....Please hire a luthier and get the folks in the marketing dept. new jobs. I know the last Marketing Director quit but seriously you need to get help and fast.

When Gibson decided to do the "Homecoming" the intent was to use the folks as a resource for customer information. It's called a focus group. There are many who if asked would tell Gibson how foolish this idea was. All they had to do was ask. They have the names and E-mail addresses of all the folks that attend. Just ask if you don't know. Sure they will think you are ignorant for trying such a goofy stunt but at least the serious guitar community will be spared your ignorance. This is one guitar that Chris Martin won't copy.

There is nothing as sad as a train wreck one sees coming in slow motion, and is powerless to do anything about it. I cant imagine that the respected JMorton and DRufatto are ok with this. Oh well. I love my Gibsons.

The last two (new) Gibson's I bought were the 2013 Limited Edition OJ and AJ. Exceptional instruments for sure, I own new and vintage. I was happy that even after Ren left, they can build outstanding instruments. But this is way to progressive for me! I really wonder what the marketing director was thinking and who are the customers they target with this.

Archived