Gibson Brands Forums

Stage Fright

dbrian66

I don't know for sure, as for some reason I never had stage fright.

Just forget about the audience and have fun. They are not judging you, they are with you 100%. And if you screw up and can't cover it over, laugh with them. Everybody does and the audience will be sympathetic about it.

The audience wants to like what you are doing, most of them are impressed that you can, and they are with you.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your comfortable when your playing stuff warming up and sounds good, but when "spot light" time you fall apart, that's not your ability, that's confidence and not "trusting" yourself.

Not sure if you play golf, but it's the same thing when you set up for T-shot and there's a bunch of guys hanging around watching I know that if tell myself "CRAP, I just know I'm gonna shank this" then I can rest assured I will.

Same translates to playing.

AS you go through your sets try to get your self out in front just a little bit more each time, bit by bit, build up your confidence this way. Do those intros yourself, don't be shy!!

Test your boundaries as you go along, and the less you'll fear the dreaded clam, eventually it'll be like falling off a log

and just remember one very important thing, unlike a heart surgeon, if you make a mistake, NO ONE dies. Don't over think this. it's some chords you're playing... that's all it is man.

If your comfortable when your playing stuff warming up and sounds good, but when "spot light" time you fall apart, that's not your ability, that's confidence and not "trusting" yourself.

Not sure if you play golf, but it's the same thing when you set up for T-shot and there's a bunch of guys hanging around watching I know that if tell myself "CRAP, I just know I'm gonna shank this" then I can rest assured I will.

Same translates to playing.

AS you go through your sets try to get your self out in front just a little bit more each time, bit by bit, build up your confidence this way. Do those intros yourself, don't be shy!!

Test your boundaries as you go along, and the less you'll fear the dreaded clam, eventually it'll be like falling off a log

and just remember one very important thing, unlike a heart surgeon, if you make a mistake, NO ONE dies. Don't over think this. it's some chords you're playing... that's all it is man.

Thats funny. When we were leaving i said to my drummer, "see, thats why I dont like doing stuff all by myself", and he just laughed and said, "it was a great set, nobody died!"

Thanks for all the kind words. I know its a confidence thing thats all in my head. And i guess I know i just have to get do it more to get over it. Its just hard messing up in front of people.

My first instrument is the drums; been playing for 40 years. I could play in front of as many people as possible and it would not bother me at all. I would love it.

But put a guitar in my hands, and put me in front of 5 people, and I am full of anxiety.

I've only been playing the guitar seriously for about 9 years. But I don't know if I will ever be able to conquer my stage fright with the guitar.

Weird how that stuff works huh? :-k

My first instrument is the drums; been playing for 40 years. I could play in front of as many people as possible and it would not bother me at all. I would love it.

But put a guitar in my hands, and put me in front of 5 people, and I am full of anxiety.

I've only been playing the guitar seriously for about 9 years. But I don't know if I will ever be able to conquer my stage fright with the guitar.

Weird how that stuff works huh? :-k

I agree.... weird!

Artists are their own worst critics. It's the 'nature of the beast'.

I make mistakes every gig. Wrong note, misplaced lyrics, got distracted, really wasn't as memorized as I thought, the list goes on.

Most of the time I can cover them up or recover quickly so that the audience doesn't know. Sometimes even my band-mates don't know.

But there are those that occasions when you just can't cover it up. If not serious, just move on. If it's a train wreck, stop the music, get on the mic, and tell the audience something like, "Did you ever have one of those days? Did you ever go into the kitchen and forget why you went there? I just went to the third verse and forgot which verse I was gong to."

Then you can add, "If I was a baseball player, I could strike out 2 out of 3 times and still get paid a handsome salary." or "If I was the weather man, I could get it wrong most of the time - let's see - you have a 5% chance of missing the third verse."

The audience won't be criticizing you, they will be laughing with you, they will be relating to you, and they will be bonding with you. We are all human and when we share our humanity, it brings us closer together.

<...> and he just laughed and said, "it was a great set, nobody died!"<...>

I like that ;)

A few years ago, when the baby-boomers were entering the over 50 communities we played the song "Wooly Bully" and a woman fell and broke a leg. A few parties later, another one fell and was taken out on a stretcher. Then a third one fell a few weeks later. All on the same song. So we quit playing it late in the evening when the combination of alcohol and high heels can be dangerous.

That cured the problem.

I guess "It was a good set. Nobody broke any bones on the dance floor."

On the other hand, if you want to go home early ......... (Just kidding, we never want to go home early, but want to be coaxed into playing a few encores).

I like that ;)

A few years ago, when the baby-boomers were entering the over 50 communities we played the song "Wooly Bully" and a woman fell and broke a leg. A few parties later, another one fell and was taken out on a stretcher. Then a third one fell a few weeks later. All on the same song. So we quit playing it late in the evening when the combination of alcohol and high heels can be dangerous...

For us it was Mustang Sally.

rct

there's always a way to hide a clam!

hmm, but now that I think of it, the only time I remember a clam that it was impossible to hide at a bar gig, many moons ago, our drummer at the time was very energetic and very physical, hit them hard and his entire body was always involved.

So he goes for one of his big "roll outs" during a rocker (I actually think it was Flirting With Disaster cuz it was right at the end of a set.) anyways, he goes a$$ over apple cart, right of the drum riser, took half his hardware with him too. We had no idea this was going on till all hell broke loose.. I turn around and shrug "Where the hell is Billy?"...

"ah there he is", slowly emerging from the pile of rubble that was his kit. all we could all do was laugh, when he got back on his feet, the crowd went crazy, they ate it up actually. He got knocked up pretty good said he was hurting for a few days after that. but didn't change the way he played, the guy still is an animal, he's great.

So many wonderful insights here. Thanks, everyone, for sharing your thoughts.

Just forget about the audience and have fun....

If YOU are having fun the chances are your audience will be having fun.

Best of luck!

Pip.

For us it was Mustang Sally.

rct

And unfortunately for me...it still is....(shrug) I get a solo anyway....and I like watching women stumble about in ridiculously high heels.

"We always have something very "funny" (odd) happen, when we start that number!" Mick Jagger, re: "Sympathy For The Devil," at Altamont!

CB

CB - I found out the other day there is a band called the Meredith Hunters which is the name of the poor guy who got killed.

I don't think that is a good name for a band. I think it's BS. I don't want to listen to or hear them AT ALL on account of the name.

As to stage fright:

I often sweat copiously from the head in the 1st number, depending on what the gig is. The more gigs I do, the less that happens.

Last Saturday I got it all over with before playing; while setting up in the very confined space I was given I began to get very hot and sweaty but I expect this now and take a towel.

Oddly enough, the bigger the gig, the less I care.

Let's also list 2 psych-ups I might use to bolster my confidence:

1) It is ME who is playing NOT them. They don't know anything and that is partly why they are watching - to find out.

2) The audience might be completely filled with better guitar players than me. THEIR BAND OBVIOUSLY DOESN'T HAVE A GIG TONIGHT!

Good luck!

CB - I found out the other day there is a band called the Meredith Hunters which is the name of the poor guy who got killed. I don't think that is a good name for a band. I think it's BS. I don't want to listen to or hear them AT ALL on account

of the name.

Yea, jdgm...I was only referring to the fact that even the "Biggest" bands, have songs that "weird" things seem to happen, when they play them.

CB

I've never had an issue playing in front of people, but when I have to talk? Can't seem to make eye contact (important) with the crowd, and fidget quite a bit, but give me a guitar, and the crowd ain't even there, because I tend to get 'lost' in it as well...

Forgot to mention.... :unsure:

Some performers drink alcohol for enjoyment and/or to alleviate stage fright...

Food for thought.... <_<

V

:-({|=

One of the bandmates of my very first band, active 1979-1980, drank alcohol. Since then all of us stayed sober. We experienced it is definitely best in every respect.

I drink a glass of saltwater before entering stage since a near-collapse after a gig in 1982. I lose typically 2 kgs or 4.4 lbs per hour when playing live, mainly sweat, and have to fill up my minerals by time. On stage I drink mineral water exclusively. I never had any medical problems after a gig since then.

One of the bandmates of my very first band, active 1979-1980, drank alcohol. Since then all of us stayed sober. We experienced it is definitely best in every respect.

I drink a glass of saltwater before entering stage since a near-collapse after a gig in 1982. I lose typically 2 kgs or 4.4 lbs per hour when playing live, mainly sweat, and have to fill up my minerals by time. On stage I drink mineral water exclusively. I never had any medical problems after a gig since then.

Yeah, there's a few around here, that use alcohol, for stage jitters. Problem is, way after they've relaxed, they're still drinking,

and after about the 2nd set, they're (too often) TOO "loose," for the rest of us. Volume goes way up, tone goes out the door, along

with some of the audience, and even loose musical "arrangements" seem to be changed, or made up, on the spot! [flapper] NOT good! ](*,)

CB

oh yes CB, I've experienced a lead singer from that school of thought firsthand - keeps you agile I suppose...

I have a straight shot of bourbon at the start of each set to relax - seems to take the edge off and give the hint of a buzz without getting drunk or needing to pee.

Not sure how helpful that is for the OP's church band though (unless they happen to be playing rct's place of worship)

Archived