Gibson Brands Forums

I Forgot This....

Murph

Acoustic Blues Tribute to my Uncle. I had posted it on the acoustic side, but you guys/girls might like it.

He was a Marine, Vietnam Vet., flew Medevac and saved countless lives. He put me on a stage in a bar at the age of 12, and first put me on a motorcycle. The cancer got him and I'm missing him a lot. Another generation of men we are losing far to quickly.

My daughter is playing bass.

That's a really nice tribute, Murph. Lots of the Vietnam vets are passing away these days like your uncle. My ex business partner got it and died at 59 - Agent Orange. An ex band mate is about 69 now and he's got it bad. Lots of rough stuff happened to those guys. Bless them.

Played like only a Chicago boy can do it. Nice man. I lived in Chicago for several years. My father was in the Corps and the last job he took was at Great Lakes Navel Base as a Drill instructor. He was in 'Nam as well.

Man I love Chicago, especially about 15 years ago, when you could still see Otis Rush, Buddy Guy, Albert Collins, and so many great Bluesmen every weekend. But still my 2nd favorite city. (I live in LA for a reason). But much love to Chicago...great job, love the minor tone that carries the tune. Good runs, and good groove.

You get the Jay stamp of approval. =D>

Sounds nice as usual Murph! My godfather was in Vietnam too. He actually came from Cyprus to the US, and joined the army knowing full well he'd be sent of Vietnam. I went and saw him a few years ago. At the time he was Commandant of the MD Military Order of the Purple Heart (first non-US born person to have this position). I finally gathered enough guts to ask him about how he got his purple heart. I was glad that he finally told me his story. He never told my father (his best friend) or even his former wife (my second cousin). Someday I'll write about here (it's really messed up). He passed away last year, and I miss him dearly.

That's a really nice tribute, Murph. Lots of the Vietnam vets are passing away these days like your uncle. My ex business partner got it and died at 59 - Agent Orange. An ex band mate is about 69 now and he's got it bad. Lots of rough stuff happened to those guys. Bless them.

Not really wanting to be reminded of some things thanks fellas.....Grin~

Nice sentiment by the way!

Many thanks to all for the kind words. I've lost both parents, Grandparents and many other family members, co-workers and fellow musicians, but this one has been tough. We were more like brothers, he was the youngest son, my Dad was the oldest and I am his oldest, if you get my drift.

I realized some of us have been on this Forum for nearly a decade and it's nice having this group of friends to vent sometimes.

I want to clarify....... He was a W.F.O. type of hard living man. There is a line in the song that says "ain't never worked, and he never will" and that was his motto. "Sugar Hill Bill, ain't never worked and he never will." But..... He wasn't a welfare / disability type either.

He was a "Hustler".

He wheeled and dealed his entire life, (land, houses, buildings, cars, trucks, knives, guns, a little pot here and there) and it ran him afowl of the law on several occasions. He was not reluctant to change his address if it became necessary. That's what I meant by "He played this Country, like a violin." He was a Capitalist and he was usually very aware of his boundaries.

But, Missouri Picker, he was a truly decent man and in the last few decades became very good and charitable.

The World is changing and sometimes I wonder as we lose these generations of men, "characters", wide (wfo) open, Katie bar the door, hero's rushing "towards" the danger, types how it changes generations to come?

Archived