Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Smells

photodusty

I have a 2008 J45. It smells.

Every time I am alone without it I think I smell it.

If I am driving in my car, I smell it.

I have yet to smell it in the shower.

As I am going to sleep, I smell it.

That fabulous spruce and mahogany wood smell. Will it ever go away?

I hope it does not.

Doe your guitar smell?

db

The smell lasts a lot longer if you keep the guitar in a case when you aren't playing it.

Each of my guitars has its own smell, depending on the age and the woods it's made of. I can easily identify each one by its smell.

I spent years building and restoring boats (both as hobby and profession), which I describe as an exercise in turning large piles of expensive, endangered tropical hardwoods into large bags of worthless sawdust. I can still identify teak, mahoganies, several varieties of oak, and several varieties of cedar by smell alone, especially when running them through a planer or table saw.

Almost every time I pull one of my guitars out of its case, I give it a good sniff to absorb the aromas. Both mahogany and rosewood have lovely smells.

I probably could benefit from some professional intervention.

Glad not to be the only one noticing the bouquets of cherished instruments. Ever notice that some of 'em absorb the ambience from places where they've spent a lot of time? My "bar guitar", for example, smells like - you guessed it - beer and cigarette smoke.

I just took my 2008 Masterbilt out of its case and it does not smell anything like my J45. Very weak smell.

J45...very good......Masterbilt not as good. My Blueridge...not that good either......my new Ibanez AC240....not a potent Mahogany smell (but sure sounds amazing)

Another thumbs up in a very different way for a True Gibson. Smells, who woulda thunk it?

db

I just took my 2008 Masterbilt out of its case and it does not smell anything like my J45. Very weak smell.

J45...very good......Masterbilt not as good. My Blueridge...not that good either......my new Ibanez AC240....not a potent Mahogany smell (but sure sounds amazing)

Another thumbs up in a very different way for a True Gibson. Smells, who woulda thunk it?

db

Nitrocellulose lacquer vs. polyurethane has quite a bit to do with it as well. Some types of woods are naturally more aromatic than others. The various mahoganies (true and otherwise)smell almost nothing like each other. Ditto with "rosewood" varieties.

Then there are the variables like the glue used to assemble both the guitars and the cases they are stored in. Lots going on here.

When I bought my 1959 LG3, 5 or so years back, I was happily playing away for a few weeks and then the weather warmed up suddenly and the guitar started to smell horrible....like vomit. Cleaned and polished, in case I had leaned it in something, to no avail - it was emanating from the soundhole! A brave look in showed it to be clean as a whistle, so I guessed the vomit had soaked in to the interior wood.

A few drops of Tea Tree Oil fumigated it a bit, but the Better Half bought me a little $100 vial of Sandalwood Oil and I splashed 3 drops in to the guitar. Still smell the sandalwood every time I open the case and play the guitar - very nice, though my mind goes back to some hippy shacks in about 1972......... [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin] Where's the Petuli Oil?

BluesKing777.

When I bought my 1959 LG3, 5 or so years back, I was happily playing away for a few weeks and then the weather warmed up suddenly and the guitar started to smell horrible....like vomit. Cleaned and polished, in case I had leaned it in something, to no avail - it was emanating from the soundhole! A brave look in showed it to be clean as a whistle, so I guessed the vomit had soaked in to the interior wood.

BluesKing777.

I've spilled beer in a guitar case, but I have yet to blow lunch inside a guitar.

Chances are it's something other than vomit, but I'm not sure I want to know.

Anyone keep a durian in your guitar by any chance?

All of mine used to smell like beer and cigarettes.

They lived in bars back when you could smoke in bars.

I think they've all aired out pretty well......

I still have my main guitar that I played in the bars during the early 70's. Never could get the smell out of that case.

I've spilled beer in a guitar case, but I have yet to blow lunch inside a guitar.

Chances are it's something other than vomit, but I'm not sure I want to know.

Anyone keep a durian in your guitar by any chance?

Do tell, Nick, if you owned a 59 LG3, kept a durian in it, sold it to Elderly...etc.?

Was it you let my bike tyre down in a locked garage? (Pumped it up, thinking about a new tube, and it is still up months later!) Would that rotten kid next door be capable of picking that lock, putting durians in guitars?)

My 52 LG1 smells like it was buried with a previous owner and some Gibson fan went back a few months later and dug it up....

Even though I haven't had a ciggy for at least 4 years now, I just can't smell them on my old guitars or cases though they probably reek. I probably had at least 10 smokes every time I played them.

BluesKing777.

Archived