Gibson Brands Forums

What happens to me?

awel

I think you're right, perhaps I am too straight with some things like the perfect pitch which it seems not easy with Gibson even after a good set up :)

I mean by example, guitar is perfectly tuned and then I start 'the thrill is gone' with a bared Bm chord and it sound out of tune and I have checked the harmonics are perfectly setup, it is an issue that I had with all my Gibson!

But anyway when I don't have one, I feel like I miss something ;)

Life is hard sometimes lol ( I am joking here )

what gauge strings do you use ? i'm heavy handed. if I use anything lighter than 10's or 11's, it can sound out of tune because of my fretting.

I mean by example, guitar is perfectly tuned and then I start 'the thrill is gone' with a bared Bm chord and it sound out of tune and I have checked the harmonics are perfectly setup, it is an issue that I had with all my Gibson!

HARMONICS ARE INHERENTLY SHARP, THEREFORE, AN INHERENTLY INACCURATE WAY TO INTONATE YOUR GUITAR.

Just a tip.

rct

what gauge strings do you use ? i'm heavy handed. if I use anything lighter than 10's or 11's, it can sound out of tune because of my fretting.

10's ernie ball slinky like on all my guitars

HARMONICS ARE INHERENTLY SHARP, THEREFORE, AN INHERENTLY INACCURATE WAY TO INTONATE YOUR GUITAR.

Just a tip.

rct

Hi RCT,

Thanks for your tips I will try that.

Am I wrong, or am I upsetting you?

Don't get me wrong you have the list of Gibson I have had I think I don't have to prove that I like Gibson guitars even if I am into a love/hate relationship :)

I don't complain about the guitar nor the brand just saying that I wonder if they fit me

Hi RCT,

Thanks for your tips I will try that.

Yes, harmonics start sharp, sometimes by quite a bit. That sharpness lasts just about long enough to tune the guitar. If you can get to a strobe tuner and watch the very high fundamentals, they are easier to change with our tuning machines, while down low the fundamentals we hear the best are slower to change. Intonating or even tuning in the bar using harmonics will invariably result in somebody being 1.)out of tune and 2.)butt hurt because everyone is hollering at them because of 1.)they are out of tune.

Am I wrong, or am I upsetting you?

Not at all brother.

Don't get me wrong you have the list of Gibson I have had I think I don't have to prove that I like Gibson guitars even if I am into a love/hate relationship :)

I don't complain about the guitar nor the brand just saying that I wonder if they fit me

It is all good, you have nothing to prove to me or anyone else. I am pretty evenly split between Gibson and Fender, but I am a Fender grrl to the end. When I have to start selling the Gibsons will be first.

rct

I think you're right, perhaps I am too straight with some things like the perfect pitch which it seems not easy with Gibson even after a good set up :)

But anyway when I don't have one, I feel like I miss something ;)

Life is hard sometimes lol ( I am joking here )

Besides not using harmonics, the best way, and for me the ONLY way, to tune and set up a guitar is to do it exactly how you play it.

For example: you aren't playing harmonics when you play a song, so what they say on the tuner is irrelevant.

Also, I don't set up a guitar using the open strings. That's using the nut as the reference. I check where it is in or out of tune on the frets, and intonate there. About half the time, the nut is out enough I want to do some work on it so it's in tune better. That goes for Gibsons or Fenders.

When I actually TUNE my guitar, I hit the strings at the frets (often I use the 5th fret) the same way I will play, and tune that up.

You don't have to go to such extremes, or even tune the same as I do, but take these two tips: If the Bm chord is out of tune to your ears, tune that up the way you play rather than being all delicate tuning to harmonics and such, and you will be a lot closer. That's a good example of how one should tune the way they play. The other tip, intonate and set up the guitar using fretted notes, so you can CHECK the nut and determine if it needs work, rather than using the nut as the reference (and that goes for harminics- useless for tuning and setting up).

As someone who owns over 50 guitars I still find excitement in buying & selling. I have a good variety of makes & models but the bulk of my brothel is Gibson & Fender. There's so many great guitars out in the world that I enjoy playing them all. As my dear Brother Bobbie used to say to all of us - "guys.. this is supposed to be fun". Enjoy every minute folks. Nobody promised us a tomorrow. Play on B)

Tuning a guitar is always a bit of a compromise, but if the strings are all in tune plucked open and your Bm is out of tune (I'd guess sharp) it sounds to me like the nut slots are too shallow.

But in the larger sense, is it possible to really admire a particular guitar brand or model and never bond with it as far as your playing style... yes, by all means it is possible. I feel I may be in this boat with Gretsch.

Tuning a guitar is always a bit of a compromise, but if the strings are all in tune plucked open and your Bm is out of tune (I'd guess sharp) it sounds to me like the nut slots are too shallow.

But in the larger sense, is it possible to really admire a particular guitar brand or model and never bond with it as far as your playing style... yes, by all means it is possible. I feel I may be in this boat with Gretsch.

Awww Pup that's just because you've never played this Gretsch. [thumbup]

IMG_2588_zpse5007624.jpg

Awww Pup that's just because you've never played this Gretsch. [thumbup]

IMG_2588_zpse5007624.jpg

No doubt... because I can't afford that Gretsch, Cookie! The nice ones are not attainable by public school teachers... That's a beauty.

I'm fortunate enough, to have quite a few guitars, of several different brands, models, and price ranges.

NONE of them are "Perfect!" ALL of them, are GREAT though, and give me everything "I" can get out of them.

ALL of them, will sound different (to varying degrees), when played by other players. Style, technique,

musical expertise, etc.

I would only suggest, as other's have, that you not worry about it, enjoy your musical journey, and all

the things you've learned, and will learn, along the way, from each instrument, and the people you play

music with. Don't let anyone else determine what guitar (model or brand) is "right" for you. Only YOU,

can know that!

Cheers,

CB

Since I started I always wanted a Gibson (Les Paul)

Now I have this 335 but even if the sound is really nice, I cannot handle the body, cannot find my mark on it. So I try to sell it

So perhaps I am a Fender guy, I love the Gibson and always be but perhaps I am a Fender guy.

My number guitar is my 2010 American Special Tele, it is a 'cheap' guitar for sure but it seems it is for me, these Texas Special pu sounds like P90 and I find it so comfortable.

Perhaps I will look to find another SG (Derek Trucks?) but I am done with Les Paul.

Do you think it is possible to be really in love with a guitar but that that guitar is not for you, this is how I feel with Les Paul?

Cause this is how I feel :(

I used to think the Les Paul was the ultimate guitar too. Now that I've had a few, I've also discovered that I like SGs and Teles a bit better. I like Les Pauls enough to always keep one around, but I can make the same noises with my modified SGs, which I enjoy playing more.

Yeah, them guitars are just too big for me, looks like I'm playin a trash can lid. I have not bonded with my current hollerbody and it is going out the door next month. I just don't reach for those kinds of guitars, so I won't bother with them anymore.

I feel the same way about them. Semi-hollowbody guitars look cool, but I've just never bonded with one. I had a 339 most recently, which was a gorgeous guitar, but I never really loved it. The baseball bat neck was part of the reason, but the tone never did much for me either.

Play what works best for you and forget about the brand. [thumbup]

1463519457[/url]' post='1770209']

As someone who owns over 50 guitars I still find excitement in buying & selling. I have a good variety of makes & models but the bulk of my brothel is Gibson & Fender. There's so many great guitars out in the world that I enjoy playing them all. As my dear Brother Bobbie used to say to all of us - "guys.. this is supposed to be fun". Enjoy every minute folks. Nobody promised us a tomorrow. Play on B)

Wow! 50 guitars?msp_thumbup.gif I really don't need that many but when I go inside a great guitar shop, I'm like a little kid in a candy shop. I want to try them all out. I had to get rid of 16 guitars when I married and wish I had two of them back. I miss my old metallic silver solid body Gretch and my Ovation 12 string classic. I have 5 guitars now again and their all different brands. Still trying to convince the wife I need more. I tell her I need to keep these three tuned a certain way and different songs require a different sound. So far she's not buying into it! Lol I really only have room for 2 more in my art room.

There is no such thing as The Perfect Guitar which is what you've discovered.

Some of them will feel, sound and play right and with others you just have to work at it until it does.

My Martin dreadnaught is a perfect case in point: the body is pretty good sized and the neck is a stout vintage type. It took a lot of time to get used to it but now it's "my" guitar.

It's a much better instrument than I am a guitar player, it's up to me to improve.

I always think back to that Steve Howe line: "A guitar gives back what's put into it" or words that that effect.

I thought my ES175 was a big guitar, until I bought my J200. Now that is a big instrument, but I love her sound and am used to the size now.

Nothing wrong with an SG! Maybe search for one that's a little more unique to suit your needs. You don't see many in white, they look awesome. Or find an SG Custom.

I don't know what to do, someone propose me a exchange with a Clapton Strat which is nice because I had one but I already have a strat so do I really need it or even want it ...

I am playing the 335 every evening perhaps try to convince myself I don't know, I find this 335 so beautiful, I am confused now [blush]

I thought my ES175 was a big guitar, until I bought my J200. Now that is a big instrument, but I love her sound and am used to the size now.

tru dat!

After using my SJ200, pickup another guitar right after, and feels like I'm holding a toy. But I got used to it, not a big guy..

I don't know what to do, someone propose me a exchange with a Clapton Strat which is nice because I had one but I already have a strat so do I really need it or even want it ...

I am playing the 335 every evening perhaps try to convince myself I don't know, I find this 335 so beautiful, I am confused now [blush]

Awel,

Unlike most everyone else, I was perfectly happy with one (electric) guitar. I didnt even seriously look for another for best part of 20 years. Now however, I have a bunch of them and I use & enjoy them all. They are all different and all a pleasure to play.

The thing is to forget about their shortcomings and simply enjoy the diversity.

My old guitar still remained my favourite for quite a while, but now I have a new favourite. It also happens to be one of the cheapest I have.

Appreciate your opportunity to get to know a 335. Try to find its sweetest tones this evening. If not, tomorrow evening or next month.

Of corse. The Clapton Strat is worth half of what a 335 is worth. But that's not the point.

You haven't had this guitar all that long. You CAN'T know everything about it or what you really like or don't like when you haven't even got used to it yet!

Personally, part of the joy of owning a guitar that I KNOW is a good guitar but isn't "me" is the journey of learning. Learning stuff about guitars, learning about other players, learning about why some use it and how they use it.

There is no pressure, and nothing that says I have to bond or replace another guitar I have bonded with. Just, pure joy and fun. Discovery, the not knowing. What makes a 335 so NICE?

It really doesn't matter what you do, it isn't the end of the world either way. Just an idea, keep it as long as you want to fully get to know it. You can dump it anytime, or even never. I don't see 335's becoming unwanted or being the guitar everyone is trying to get rid of anytime soon.

Hello again.

Les Paul tuning problem is a general Gibson problem. It's the headstock design. At the nut, the strings have break angles on two planes: to follow the headstock angle, and to turn towards the machine head posts. Plus, the Corian nut. High-tech plastic or bone nut solves these issues.

By the way, I just got 3 camel bone blanks delivered by Her Majesty's Post.

$_1.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item58baf7d2aa

Probably, You could also customize Your Les Pauls...

Bence.

\

i agree here, fix the problem you are having then you will be able to enjoy it.

I solved the tuning problem with a new nut and a set of 21:1 gohto tunning machine heads now even keeping it in case when not in use i rarely have to tune it cause it stays tuned.

I imagine every guitar company has a problem on every guitar they make, i couldnt say it is just gibson. even the usa strat may have issues

Archived