Gibson Brands Forums

guilty pleasure movies

saturn

You know. Movies that will never win any awards, have little or no socially redeeming value, or are just plain stupid. But you find yourself watching them whenever they come on.

I'm not including any Monty Python, Mel Brooks or Zucker Brothers, because I consider them silly, but brilliant.

Some on my list:

Super Troopers

Dude, Where's My Car?

Napoleon Dynamite

Weird Science

More than I could list...

But I love the 80s gory horror films like Brain Dead and Evil Dead and the George A Romero zombie ones like Land of the Living Dead... they are so silly but made with such passion, creativity and humour....

And most things animated... Including Manga....

How about They Live.. its not such a well known film but its an 80s classic... a lot of sub text about society...

They did a modern day version of these type of B movies about a killer rubber tyre :)

Plan Nine from Outer Space

Anything else is a distant second.

The Raven (1963 movie by Roger Corman) about a wizards duel.

It stars

Vincent Price

Boris Karloff

Peter Lorre

Hazel Court

And a very young Jack Nicholson.

Lorre steals every scene he's in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Y7FnlkuCg

Ahh, a thread after my own heart. I love Plan 9. it's so bad, it's great. and the Roger Corman stuff is too. the Raven is cool, but the one they made after that I love even more. "Comedy of Terrors". Karloff, Price, Lorre & Rathbone.

theres an old black & white scifi/horror flick i love. my wife & kids hate it because I use to play it so much. "The Deadly Mantis". a giant Preying Mantis escapes from the ice in Antartica and attacks unsuspecting cities.

also, "The Claw". this giant goofy looking bird wrecks havoc on the world. gave me nightmares when I was 8 years old. now it makes me laugh. you can see the strings attached to the bird. plus it looks like some goofy turkey buzzard. just silly.

also, Napoleon Dynamite . I seriously love that movie. lol. I still watch it every once in awhile.

Do the chickens have large talons?

rct

lol, "son, I have no idea what you're talking about"

I think 'The Cable Guy' is among the funniest movies I have ever seen.

I have to agree. but I didn't always feel that way. when I 1st saw it, I couldn't even finish it. turned it off after a 1/2 hour. later watched it again and made it thru an hour before I turned it off. It just annoyed me to watch it. But for some reason I kept watching it again, lol. now I think its great. I love it. It's a masterpiece of annoyance, lol.

The first thing that comes to mind is probably Jennifer's Body. I'm not super crazy over Megan Fox but she's not unattractive and it's a pretty funny movie

I don't rate good crappy sci fi and horror movies as guilty pleasures because they are some of the most entertaining movies

Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure!

Loved it when it came out. Love it to this day. And I will watch it anytime it comes on. I never get tired of that one.

I have no idea how many times I've seen it. And i would watch it right now if it was on.

Steve McQueen in the Blob. And just watched Lou Ferigno in Hercules for the first time. What a dumb show. Both made me laugh there so stupid. Maybe I am for watching them.msp_flapper.gif And I'm thinking of adding The Good The Bad and The Ugly on the list. Love that western but I watched it the other day and caught laughable stuff. It's based on the time of the civil war. Black powder ball and cap revolvers are used. That's correct. If you notice, the revolver itself has a ball and a cap to fire it. That's correct. But they have .45 cartridges in their belts and load them with bullets. You can't put a bullet in a gun that clearly shows a cap on the end of the cylinder. Later they made modified cylinders to load bullets but in the movie, they have caps on them espeacialy in the end scene.

Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure!

Loved it when it came out. Love it to this day. And I will watch it anytime it comes on. I never get tired of that one.

I have no idea how many times I've seen it. And i would watch it right now if it was on.

I was going to list that one also, but wasn't sure if I should because many people think of that as kind-of classic.

Most of the movies I'm thinking of were the silly movies that never tried to be anything but that. Not so much the unintentionally bad movies that ended up being enjoyably campy.

Don't know if it counts as a dumb movie, but I've found that whenever I need background noise I put on Event Horizon (Sam Neill, Laurence Fishburne) - it's a film I can happily watch and pay attention to, or ignore completely as it plays away on Netflix while I restring. I think it's at that perfect level that it's entertaining but doesn't require much brain power to watch.

Another vote for Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure here. A true dumb classic, but I love it [thumbup] Never liked Bogus Journey though...

also, California Man (called Encino Man in the US I believe)

I do enjoy Gremlins and the Blob too every now and then.

Another vote for Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure here. A true dumb classic, but I love it [thumbup] Never liked Bogus Journey though...

also, California Man (called Encino Man in the US I believe)

I do enjoy Gremlins and the Blob too every now and then.

Encino Man is pretty great. Saw that many times in college.

Archived