Gibson Brands Forums

2017 Models predictions and wishes

Rabs

I saw that Gibson acoustic have released 2017 models ALREADY ...

Here if you are interested http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2017.aspx

So it got me thinking... Last year the 2016 info started coming out in like September time.. If they do that again that means it may not be too long before we start seeing some info....

So what do you guys reckon they will do this year... A continuation of the HP and T line? Something totally different (oyyyy!!)

And what would you like to see?

For me, always more double cuts, faded, standard, custom as long as its a double cut...... :) And id like to see the Nighthawk again to, I think they are pretty funky.... And obviously the Classic, been sorely missing this year.. How about a Classic Plus...

I cant even begin to work out if they will continue with two lines... I have no idea how they went down (the HPs).....

(Edit, check this then http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars.aspx?ModelYear=2017)

Cessation of this stupid *&%$#@g '201X Model' cr@p - what is this, the 1950's US Automobile industry??

What was ever wrong with an LP Standard just being that, rather than having to think of the features of a given year? [cursing]

Rant over [flapper]

Here if you are interested http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2017.aspx

So it got me thinking... Last year the 2016 info started coming out in like September time.. If they do that again that means it may not be too long before we start seeing some info....

So what do you guys reckon they will do this year... A continuation of the HP and T line? Something totally different (oyyyy!!)

For me, always more double cuts, faded, standard, custom as long as its a double cut...... :) And id like to see the Nighthawk again to, I think they are pretty funky.... And obviously the Classic, been sorely missing this year.. How about a Classic Plus...

I cant even begin to work out if they will continue with two lines... I have no idea how they went down (the HPs).....

I wish Gibson would make some acoustics with a slimmer nut width like a 1.68. My 1974 J-50 has that slimmer feel and my only complaint on Gibson acoustics is they all tend to be have bigger nut widths and wider frets. For small handed guys 5'8 and shorter its harder to get around. I could understand tho why the taller guys 6' and over prefer the 1.725 because then they dont feel crunched and have room for their big hands. It just seems that the majority of Gibson acoustics today are made on the bigger side, wish some were slimmer.

From my experience tho, Gibson quality control on acoustics is excellent!

I wish Gibson would make some acoustics with a slimmer nut width like a 1.68. My 1974 J-50 has that slimmer feel and my only complaint on Gibson acoustics is they all tend to be have bigger nut widths and wider frets. For small handed guys 5'8 and shorter its harder to get around. I could understand tho why the taller guys 6' and over prefer the 1.725 because then they dont feel crunched and have room for their big hands. It just seems that the majority of Gibson acoustics today are made on the bigger side, wish some were slimmer.

From my experience tho, Gibson quality control on acoustics is excellent!

Check these then :)

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2017/HP-415-W.aspx

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2017/HP-665-SB.aspx

For me, always more double cuts, faded, standard, custom as long as its a double cut...... :)

Me too.

I really wanted to like the 2015 DC, and played several of them. But I just didnt like the sound of the P90s.

I hope so. So a DC LP HP with mini humbuckers would be hard to resist.

I think I am finished buying guitars, but it's always nice to daydream...

It would be nice if the 3PU '57 Custom was back in production. Iconic guitar - deserves to be in continuous production. I would rethink my first statement, if Gibson made a 3PU Classic Custom (with mahogany top) at a nice price.

Bence.

I think I am finished buying guitars, but it's always nice to daydream...

It would be nice if the 3PU '57 Custom was back in production. Iconic guitar - deserves to be in continuous production. I would rethink my first statement, if Gibson made a 3PU Classic Custom (with mahogany top) at a nice price.

Bence.

Ooh yes. I'm lucky to have a 2009 '57 Custom which you've probably seen before. A classic custom with 3 pickups would be very cool, in natural, walnut and wine red finish options. I'd also like to see a 3 pickup SG Custom like the mid to late 60's versions with the full guard...and an ES 345 Stereo.

Gibson1957LesPaulCustom_zpsd482cb39.jpg

humm, i watched the video on the new hp, id like to try one out. I had a j15 and i loved the sound, just found it a lil big. These look lovely!

The bruthas over in the acoustic forum had a discussion on these a few weeks ago. Lots of comparisons to Taylors,, and they (mostly) don't like Taylors... it didn't end well.. [biggrin]

I'm at a loss for what I'd like to see... Not in the market, so I have no dog in the fight. I do agree with others that the overlap of models is a little bit much these days. but I guess there are smarter people than me figuring all this crap out.

Very nice, Cody! [thumbup]

It's my long-time dream guitar! I wish, one day I can add one, or an Artisan to my collection.

Bence.

Thanks.

Yes, I always wanted an Artisan too - beautiful guitars. Don't think I'll ever get around to getting one though sadly. Be great if they reissued them for 2017! The closest we got was the Lee Malia (is that how you spell his surname?) Epiphone which looked pretty good.

You've got that fantastic LP Recording though [thumbup] I'd sure like one of those someday.

SG Custom with three pick-ups would be cool, maybe offer a second color along with the classic white finish.

'57 Les Paul Custom would be really cool, yeah.

'59 Flying V needs to get made again with actual Korina wood. No more '59 Mahogany V's, please.

'59 Explorer would be cool, too.

'54 Les Paul Custom would be nice. All mahogany with the P90 and staple pick-up.

No more guitars for me, unless of course one falls from the sky, hits me in the head and I catch it before it bounces to the ground and smashes to pieces. Could happen... [rolleyes]

Hope it's not a Flying V, Explorer, or EDS-1275 that falls on top of your head. Those things are either pointy or heavy. Ouch!

There is one up for auction in Bath in a couple of weeks. 1970's model estimated at £1200 - £1800. I'll find a link if you're interested.

Thanks for that. I think I know the one you mean at Guitar Auctions? They have some excellent stuff for the next one. Did you see the 60's SG? That would be tempting too. I'm trying to avoid buying any more guitars at the moment as I've got to pay off a few on finance towards the end of the year, but thanks for the info. If I had a spare £2000 right now I'd find it difficult to resist getting that Recording or SG.

A few simple questions...

Why does Bob Dylan need a signature model again? EVERY. *******. YEAR!

Why the hell are there so many variants of the bloody J-45? Five different models, really?

How come Gibson can't seem to do a J-185 as part of the STANDARD line up? It's only ever limited in the run, and in production number.

Rant over, for now.

More accurate renderings of the coveted 1958 Les Pauls, particularly those made in the last three days of the waning lunar cycle, the period universally acknowledged by tone mavens as the best time to build for the utmost responsiveness and resonance.

I would like to see particular attention paid to the air surrounding the guitar, as this is well known as an important detail to tone fanatics all over the world.

I also would like to see these re-issues accompanied by the correct color and scale of dim, flickery, incandescent 40 watt bulbed two prong lamp cord light, as Les Paul aficionados know is needed to reproduce the period correct sweet, caramel overtones from the correctly reproduced PAFs.

I'd like to see Gibson offer a customer upgrade to include an accurate reproduction of June Cleaver to go with each of these fine guitars, as the discerning tone freak knows that you need the appropriately polite mom knocking on your door to tell you dinner is ready in order to grok those original harmonics and powerful overdrives found only in the best of the best of the Bursts.

An additional option that would be nice to have would be a 9000 pound Daphne Blue, Chromium trimmed automobile to drive these new re-issues to the gig at the bowling alley, as any self respecting tone guru knows is crucial to delivering maximum sonic punch from the non-weight relieved one piece fully breathable 3.834427 pound premium mahogany body.

I also think Gibson could do their best to stimulate tensions between the US and the Russkies, because nothing makes coaxing a few delicious runs out of your re-issue more sweet than knowing that just like the originals in the hands of the tone hounds of yesteryear, this could be your last time playing it too, and what could be better than having your baby in your hands when you see that last blinding flash and feel the rush of the nuclear wind, just before it vaporizes your mid-century ranch.

A few more small things, but probably not worth mentioning in the Pantheon of tone details.

rct

Archived