Gibson Brands Forums

David Crosby bashes Gibsons..wow!

magictwanger

I read a piece about David Crosby,I believe it was in a recent Acoustic Guitar Magazine.Sheesh! He is not a fan of the latest Gibsons! I remember him stating he thought "some" of the Custom/Limited editions were OK,but in general he felt the last few years Gibsons were poor instruments.He went on to state that Martin slaughters Gibson in almost any area of tone and build.Though he did say he had a good Custom J-200....I was surprised...Not that I'm a Gibson lover,but I've played some very nice Gibsons lately and have an absolutely fabulous Fuller's 1939 J-35 Reissue.....Hmm!

David has strong opinions, and has pretty much always been associated with Brazilian rosewood Martin dreads (as well as a few other guitars). Gibson doesn't really have anything to make a straight comparison with those.

He is known for speaking his mind, for better and for worse.

I love his singing and playing, and tolerate the rest of him just for those two qualities.

I dont know if he was bashing, seems the standard production models have been better in previous years, i own a 2015 but had several 45s and other models in the mid 90s that seemed better playing in general, and, seeing as they make changes every year maybe g thinks they can do better too...j I wish they would just,.at a reasonable price point, build like they did in the best years and be done

I read a piece about David Crosby,I believe it was in a recent Acoustic Guitar Magazine.Sheesh! He is not a fan of the latest Gibsons! I remember him stating he thought "some" of the Custom/Limited editions were OK,but in general he felt the last few years Gibsons were poor instruments.He went on to state that Martin slaughters Gibson in almost any area of tone and build.Though he did say he had a good Custom J-200....I was surprised...Not that I'm a Gibson lover,but I've played some very nice Gibsons lately and have an absolutely fabulous Fuller's 1939 J-35 Reissue.....Hmm!

I must say that I've become a fan of Martin with the purchase of a D35 and my custom 000. I do not agree however that the build of a Martin is "better". As I've thought about thinning the herd, I am hard pressed to determine which Gibsons to sell. Those that I've kept, all sound, play and look great. I guess guitars are sorta like girl friends, keep as many as you can afford at any one time. They all have their particular charms and appeal.

Crosby is a great entertainer but his decision making skills are suspect .... just saying.

For those of you who simply can't stand your Gibbys anymore, PM me and I'll furnish my address. Since I'm doing you a favor by taking those losers off your hands, you won't mind paying the postage!

I think he has an official affiliation with Martins now days. Gee, I wonder if that could have anything to with his stance. True, he has always been a Martin firster, but a pay check can be an excellent reinforcement.

Could Crosby's opinions be somewhat tainted by the fact that Martin has made his signature models? (Edit: Hall, we had essentially the same thought at the same time!).

Yes or no, a multitude of factors can influence one's comfort level with a particular line of guitars. Personally, I much prefer the fretboard radius of Gibsons. I've owned many Martins & currently still have two, but they seem to be the last acoustics I reach for, primarily because of playability nuances.

But also tonally, my Gibsons & Guilds seem to be much more inspiring.

Crosby speaks up and sometimes gets loud.

I know the J-200 Nicks talks about is a custom rosewood guitar, but else he haven't owned'n'played many Gibsons over the years - if any.

Could it be something from when choosing brand as a young man in 60's, then pro-longed into the Norlin era, , , or simply a matter of taste.

His former partner Graham Nash - who like C has a Mart-signature model - keeps a long string of contemporary slope shouldered Gibsons (plus 1 or 2 185's), which he brings with him on the road and in the studio.

Croz must have tried them out during all those tours, , , and decided to stay behind the Martin dreads - typically 3 late-60's D-45's and a hog 12-str.

He also owns a serious smaller vintage Mart. an Olsson, etc and besides is a McAlister fan.

Well. . .

Crosby's a fine musician and he's welcome to his guitar opinions. Doesn't mean much more than just that, to me anyhow. All of us have our varying notions about makers, eras of production, new v. used v. vintage, specific models, sources, price points, price trends, and the list goes on.... I find everyone's notions to be interesting, but that's not to say they're necessarily going to be a direct influence on my thoughts or behaviors. So, David Crosby, nice to hear from you! ☺

He's an O.K. musician but he's been smart enough to surround himself with very good musicians who drag him up to their level-Roger McGuinn,Steve Stills, Neil Young etc.I'll admit that he's written a good song or two but then there's "Almost Cut My Hair". Yikes! Now he's insulted both Daryl Hannah and Neil, and Graham Nash has gone on record as saying he's fed up with Crosby and his mouth and CSNY will never play together again-because of Crosby. He's lucky that Chris Martin keeps him around.

He's an O.K. musician but he's been smart enough to surround himself with very good musicians who drag him up to their level-Roger McGuinn,Steve Stills, Neil Young etc.I'll admit that he's written a good song or two but then there's "Almost Cut My Hair". Yikes! Now he's insulted both Daryl Hannah and Neil, and Graham Nash has gone on record as saying he's fed up with Crosby and his mouth and CSNY will never play together again-because of Crosby. He's lucky that Chris Martin keeps him around.

All you say is true, but he still has the voice of an angel. And he still lets his freak flag fly.

Disagree - Crosby is an excellent composer, lyricist, player, singer and harmony-singer. Besides a genuine and important original.

When he was/is at his peaks over the years, he went up there with the greatest. Alone in singersongwriter performances as in full-band set-ups.

The man has limitations and would be the first to admit he can't play solos and piano. Still the few songs written on keys are stellar.

Listen to Delta, Homeward Through the Haze, , , and check songs like Page 43, Shadow Captain, In My Dreams and of course the outstanding Guinnevere.

The recent album Croz from 2014 is a chain of shimmering pearls.

Then add the early 90's Yvette in English co-written with Joni Mitchell - the only tune she ever shared with anyone.

In my perception, he can't be overrated as an artist. A groundbreaking and non-compromising carved rock in the foundation of so called modern music.

Crosby has his opinion and that's fine.

OTOH Crosby's opinion on Gibsons is worth . . . . . . 2¢

Actually, since on the take from a competing guitar company . . . . . more like 1¢.

Questioning build quality . . . come on!

Sound is worth looking at, but then comparing Martin to Gibson is tough. There are people that prefer the Martin sound. There are people that prefer the Gibson sound. And, there are players that see good things in both sounds and own products from both companies, as well as others.

One last thing - Martin does Martin great, but let's look at the Gibson 'copies' Martin has put out - the CEO's - not that great, by a long shot (clown burst).

Martin%20Gibson%20MARTCSJ_front_zpspsp2sccq.jpg

Disagree - Crosby is an excellent composer, lyricist, player, singer and harmony-singer. Besides a genuine and important original.

When he was/is at his peaks over the years, he went up there with the greatest. Alone in singersongwriter performances as in full-band set-ups.

The man has limitations and would be the first to admit he can't play solos and piano. Still the few songs written on keys are stellar.

Listen to Delta, Homeward Through the Haze, , , and check songs like Page 43, Shadow Captain, In My Dreams and of course the outstanding Guinnevere.

The recent album Croz from 2014 is a chain of shimmering pearls.

Then add the early 90's Yvette in English co-written with Joni Mitchell - the only tune she ever shared with anyone.

In my perception, he can't be overrated as an artist. A groundbreaking and non-compromising carved rock in the foundation of so called modern music.

I respectfully think that his writing is not quite top-drawer but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and your opinion is worth every bit as much as mine. Doesn't stop me from still feeling that he is a goof. (I'll give you "Guinnevere" though!)

Senor Crosby has been around the block a few times and still finds no need to stifle his own opinions....no matter what the outcome. His talent and standing in the music industry should be accepted ....his personal diatribes and beliefs are another matter. And so it goes.......

I respectfully think that his writing is not quite top-drawer but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and your opinion is worth every bit as much as mine. Doesn't stop me from still feeling that he is a goof. (I'll give you "Guinnevere" though!)

All fine with a little room for disagreement. And you naturally can have any thoughts on D.C. you want, , , like he can air his thoughts about Gibsons.

Different opinions are interesting - and none of the above will change my mind anyway ;-)

Here's the Delta I mentioned. A big slow ballad from the mid-period.

I've actually seen CSN perform this one while Crosby still was keen on the piano.

Later a real key-player took over - but brave and bold enough to have dared that too.

They sure sail it home

1982 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjwaFmWxYgk

Rock on ^

... he's been smart enough to surround himself with very good musicians who drag him up to their level-Roger McGuinn...

It's a fairly well known story about Crosby getting fired from the Byrds. McGuinn showed up at his house one morning and told him he was out of the band. Years later, when CSN was still playing stadiums and McGuinn was playing the "Oldies" tour, they crossed paths. The story about Crosby's firing came up and David asked, "Hey Roger, how'd that work out for you?"

Far's I know, Lucifer was an angel! Well, that's what I HEARD👹

Angels come in all sorts, good and bad. But I think they all have nice voices.

We saw Crosby live earlier this year, and I was pretty surprised at how good his voice still is at 75. The keys to success of CSN were Nash and Crosby's voices, and the guitar of Stills. Both Crosby and Nash have solid guitar chops, and Stills has a voice that blends well with the others. Ironically, it was always easy to tell which voice was which. They blended, but they were (and still are) distinctive.

I always take his pronouncements with a grain of salt, and still love my Gibsons.

It's a fairly well known story about Crosby getting fired from the Byrds. McGuinn showed up at his house one morning and told him he was out of the band. Years later, when CSN was still playing stadiums and McGuinn was playing the "Oldies" tour, they crossed paths. The story about Crosby's firing came up and David asked, "Hey Roger, how'd that work out for you?"

Sounds like him.

I think he has an official affiliation with Martins now days. Gee, I wonder if that could have anything to with his stance. True, he has always been a Martin firster, but a pay check can be an excellent reinforcement.

Nah, he just prefers Martins. No need to make A Thing out of it. Martins work for what Croz does and that's that. As for his musicianship, there moe going on there than cowboy chord strums. He has some nice moves up the neck. Check out the Stoney Evening CD. No band, No Roger, No Stephen, no James Raymond. He holds his own.

As for Gibson? We'll always have Jackson.

Archived