Gibson Brands Forums

David Crosby bashes Gibsons..wow!

magictwanger

Angels come in all sorts, good and bad. But I think they all have nice voices.

We saw Crosby live earlier this year, and I was pretty surprised at how good his voice still is at 75. The keys to success of CSN were Nash and Crosby's voices, and the guitar of Stills. Both Crosby and Nash have solid guitar chops, and Stills has a voice that blends well with the others. Ironically, it was always easy to tell which voice was which. They blended, but they were (and still are) distinctive.

I always take his pronouncements with a grain of salt, and still love my Gibsons.

Totally agree - still love my CS&N, too😃

Regarding angels, I see Nash as the angelic force of the band. Stills is the muscle and Crosby the spirit. Young comes and goes as the wild-card vagabond.

But here's a tale from the real world. A Dave Zimmer, probably an engineer, recalls :

Well, this story does not involve me personally, except that I was in the room, in the studio, when Stephen Stills and Graham Nash were doing some final studio work on the 1982 Crosby, Stills & Nash-album, Daylight Again, with long-time engineer Stanley Johnston at Devonshire Studios in Los Angeles. Stanley played back three different mixes of the album's opening track, a Stills song called "Turn Your Back on Love."

Nash spoke up first: "I like the 'ahhhs' on the second one."

Stills nodded. Then Stanley said, "What about our idea for 'The Wizard of Ahhhs ?'

Graham's got to play the Tin Man. We'd have to get Neil back to play the Scarecrow."

Stills added: "Crosby'd be Dorothy," to which Nash said: "No, Crosby's the Cowardly Lion. You're Dorothy, Stephen."

Stills glowered, rose from the mixing board, and announced in mock fury, "I am the Wizard!"

Year unknown ~ The%20Wizard%20of%20Oz%20Photograph.jpg

The Older martins that he plays and boasts about, only a guy like him can afford. I am sure the ol boy hoards them like every other superstar.

Kind of short sided and self righteous to proclaim ones love for Brazillian Martins, when many struggling blue collar muscians who support him will never have the opportunity

to play one.

Like my old man used to always say before he whooped me and my brothers as*es, "If you dont have anything good to say, dont say anything at all".

Not a big fan, but not, not a fan either, although I do understand his importance and talent.

Nonetheless, he makes no impact on my preferences.

I read a piece about David Crosby,I believe it was in a recent Acoustic Guitar Magazine.Sheesh! He is not a fan of the latest Gibsons! I remember him stating he thought "some" of the Custom/Limited editions were OK,but in general he felt the last few years Gibsons were poor instruments.He went on to state that Martin slaughters Gibson in almost any area of tone and build.Though he did say he had a good Custom J-200....I was surprised...Not that I'm a Gibson lover,but I've played some very nice Gibsons lately and have an absolutely fabulous Fuller's 1939 J-35 Reissue.....Hmm!

I read the Acoustic Guitar mag article when it came out and watched the video and as far as I can see after re-reading and watching, DC doesn't even mention Gibson:

http://acousticguitar.com/david-crosby-a-life-acoustic-his-story-as-seen-through-the-prism-of-his-guitars/

http://acousticguitar.com/david-crosby-talks-about-his-impressive-acoustic-guitar-collection-the-one-that-got-away/

BluesKing777.

I read the Acoustic Guitar mag article when it came out and watched the video and as far as I can see after re-reading and watching, DC doesn't even mention Gibson:

Yes, I also read these a month ago, but thought magictwanger had his stuff from elsewhere.

May be an idea to bring the source forward.

The same stuff that killed his liver is documented to kill brain cells as well.

Who gives a crap what he says.

Martin gives him free guitars, free guitars aren't free.

P.S. I couldn't care less who he voted for either, bet we had different views on that as well.

Shut up and sing.

Off topic... but Crosby and his son wrote this song a few years ago called Lay Me Down that makes me cry whenever I hear it...

A great song from an equally great album. I like Don't Dig Here but like other CSN songs the chords seem to be blocked on the net. Pity!!.

Crosby got the golden pipes through a twist of fate akin to winning the giant Powerball jackpot. So did Linda Ronstadt and a host of others. Linda's luck ran out rather abruptly and her gift has passed. Joni had a great ride but smoked hers away from what I can tell. And then age-the-great-equalizer catches up with pretty much everybody. Good thing we have recordings of all of them in their youth and prime. I find it interesting that a lot of songs from the heyday of rock and roll have no widespread, recognizable guitar part(especially to the vast majority of the fans of those songs...they just don't care about the instruments used) attributable to a certain type of guitar, while other songs just have to have a certain Gretsch or Martin or Les Paul or Danelectro sound or it doesn't sound right. I didn't know until a couple of years ago that it was a Telecaster used on the Stairway to Heaven solo. I just knew it was Jimmy Page. C,S,N &Y had the complete contingent of creative personalities to virtually guarantee that there was going to be frequent and volatile pyrotechnics, all to the point where I have to believe that all of that craziness was the crucible from which a lot of great music got produced. I bet jannusguy could tell us lots of stories about the musically gifted he's encountered and his take on what comes with the territory of being physically gifted and creative and then thrust into the spotlight of fame.

The Older martins that he plays and boasts about, only a guy like him can afford.
The man paid his dues to get where he is. These days, he's not so well off now as you'd imagine. And he doesnt boast--he appreciates. For good reason. The average Martins has a rich, articulate note-to note sound that is perfect for what DC does. A Gibson wouldnt give him the ring, sustain or low end it would take to do his thing, so naturally, he wouldnt think much of them. .

Oth, a Martin dread or OM wouldnt give Jorma the clarity for he needs for his fingerpicking or Jackson Browne those rich chords.

The man paid his dues to get where he is. And he's not so well off now as you'd imagine.

All true. Just the fact that he's lived this long, considering the life he's led, is a major accomplishment. I don't envy the man his guitars, wouldn't trade places with him if I could, and can't say that what he thinks of Gibson guitars concerns me one way or the other. I like his music.

People seem to have the idea he's some spoiled rich hippie. He's a working musician, comfortable but not without sacrifices. He had to sell the boat Mayan, which was his prize thing. He couldnt afford to keep his CPR band going. He has to be out on the road to pay the bills. Sleeping on the bus to cut costs. At age 70 + with health issues.

He had to sell his boat, which was his prize thing. He couldnt afford to keep his CPR band going. He has to be out on the road to pay the bills. Sleeping on the bus to cut costs. At age 70 + with health issues. People seem to have the idea he's some spoiled rich hippie. He's a working musician.

But you still can't make chicken soup out of chicken feathers (I was being polite on the last word).

Don't have a great deal in common with Crosby, but I admire his musical skills. Top notch songwriter. I don't pay much attention to the comments of very many celebs. For me, too many of them pontificate on something and a lot of people take it as the proverbial "gospel" on the subject. I'm glad Crosby is still with us though. He's a lucky guy. Spent almost half-a-century frying his brain and liver, but he seems to have finally gotten his life together. Hope he has many more years and I hope he writes many more songs. I'm not a big fan of his performing solo, but with a group he blends well. When you get people like Crosby, Graham Nash, and Stephen Stills together, it would be literally impossible to not be influenced by the other two guys. They're great songwriter/musicians, but their personal views don't really mean much to me.

Archived