Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson product of the day

Searcy

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with you on blue guitars. They all look off to me.

Then again, I think no LP, Gibby or Epi, should be in any colour that makes it look un-Slash-like, that no V should be any colour other than yellowish white, that it isn't an Explorer if it has a pickguard, and that kids should get off my lawn if they know what's good for them.

Gibson Firebird II Artist CMT 1981

Very rare and unique 1981 Gibson Firebird II Artist CMT. Reportedly only about 160 or so of this model were made. Maple body with bound flamed curly maple top in Antique Sunburst (tobacco burst) finish. 24.75" scale, rosewood fretboard, 3-piece maple neck, 1 11/16" nut. Weighs 9.0 pounds.

These guitars originally came with the same Moog-designed active electronics from Gibson's "RD Artist" series, with compression (neck pickup) and expansion (bridge pickup) options available

GibsonFirebirdIIArtistCMT1981_zpsca807f5f.jpg

What I'm trying to do here is, when I remember too, post a different guitar here every day from the "Gibson Family of Brands". For the most part they will be the lesser known guitars but not always. Feel free to love them or hate them.

Today we have the ES 335 studio.

2014 Gibson ES-335 Studio

ESSTMBBT1-Finish-Shot.jpg

Ive seen one of these at my local store. I had not noticed the odd looking plate at the neck join though (maybe that was a 2015?).

Without f-holes and body binding, these look a bit strange. I dont mind a single pickup, but not at the bridge position, and then certainly not a dirty finger. So no GAS for this one either.

The pictures, also on Gibson.com, show a pickup with six screws and six slugs and a metal frame around the coils, the specs say the magnet(s) were AlNiCo 2. Dirty Fingers pickups feature twelve screws and three ceramic magnets each.

The pickup of one for sale at the bay clearly has same sort of frame but a pickup featuring twelve screws. Mysterious... :-k

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Gibson-ES-335-Studio-Single-Midnight-Blue-/151982471500

It's strange Gibson could never really break into that market. I guess their history works against them in cases like this. Maybe if it was shaped like a Les Paul it would have worked [biggrin]

These really are amazing guitars. The body style is beautiful and they sound great. I think they flopped mainly because the asthetic of exotic woods and odd looking mother of tortoiseshell pick guards didn't fit in with the target audience of shredders and metal heads.

These really are amazing guitars. The body style is beautiful and they sound great. I think they flopped mainly because the asthetic of exotic woods and odd looking mother of tortoiseshell pick guards didn't fit in with the target audience of shredders and metal heads.

I think you're right about the appearance probably not appealing to metal heads. They look pretty cool to me, but I know some metal head friends of mine wouldn't care for them. I always loved the look of the US-1 and would love to try one, but I think the M3 you posted looks more distinctive and original in design.

Although I'm not among shredders or metal heads, the pickguard also doesn't do it for me. Neither cool nor funny, just wrong, with a black finish as well. :(

Note: Picture taken from http://www.ebay.co.u...foAAOSw5cNYVwmV

s-l500.jpg

[scared]

Archived