Gibson Brands Forums

Personalization......

Buc McMaster

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yes - It can be done.

I like this one a lot, she really melts into the quilt. Do we sense Dove-lOVE here.

Actually ordered a bunch of decals a few years back, but it takes courage and the match must be right. You got both.

Here's a vintage one posted a long time ago. Think it works too.

~ GibsonJ-20019534.jpg

~ GibsonJ-20019532.jpg

~ GibsonJ-20019533.jpg

~ GibsonJ-2001953.jpg

How easy is it to remove those decals? Isn't the normal Martin logo a lacquered-over decal? The standard gold Gibson block logo and banner logo as well?

There may be a risk of color change in areas protected from sunlight by the decal, so it probably isn't a good idea to leave anything on for a long time unless you want to be reminded of it forever.

Personalization of a guitar is sort of like getting a tattoo on your face. Be sure you're sober when you decide to do it. Believe me, I know about this one. Just look at my avatar.

I've done worse things to a Gibson... I've heard "car guys" talk about how they don't own a car collection, they are merely caretakers for the next generation. There is some truth there but for me it's the reverse. Guitars are devices made to bring me happiness, not the other way around. Cars can be enjoyed through viewing but guitars have to be touched and handled to produce any worth. Where do you think mojo comes from? Old lacquer? No, it comes from someone playing a guitar to death because sounded so good. What's one little duck sticker? At least they didn't drill a hole into the side of their Gibson like I did. I'll just leave that there.......

Well, at least she's a blonde, so she blends well with the maple...

Obviously this is not a 'right' or 'wrong' question but a personal matter of taste. I associate stickers with trashy, beaten up campfire or dive bar gig road guitars, not select ones like this. But if it floats your boat, why not?

The duck on the back of that vintage J-200 looks equally aged in with the guitar so it gives it a certain 'story'. I think high end guitars (particularly Gibson ones) are beautiful and ornate enough by themselves. It wouldn't be a deal breaker though if I loved the guitar. I might save the stickers for the case though...

While really common on ukes, electric guitars and banjos, I never liked that type of adornments on acoustic guitars. Now that I think about it, I don't know why. But of course you own it, do what you like. Kind of reminds me of WWII aircraft art. Maybe add a slogan like "Bombs Away". . B)

The WWII aircraft notion crossed my mind, too, as did thoughts of awakening on the morning after an especially drunken USMC night on the town. Of course, I couldn't speak from experience re. the latter😇 If it were my guitar, I'd christen it "The Blonde Bimbo" and glide into this 'brave new world' of political incorrectness knowing I'd commemorated the coming year (or four) in typically cynical fashion💩

Archived