Gibson Brands Forums

Which has been the best decade for music?

Spiritinthesky

I don't think there ever was a bad decade for music. Ever. I've been alive since the first half of the last century but have heard music from centuries ago. It's all been good. I think the focus of this question is pop-rock music and that limits your perspective. Many "classic rock" fans decry the state of music today but to me much of that criticism sounds like the criticism I heard from "older" folks back in the 50's and 60's. "You call that music" they said, and we said yes. We may be too old for today's music but that doesn't make it bad.

You can cite the 50's, but taking into account that the world as a whole didn't have what we know as pop until the 60's, its not enough.

The 50's attest to a good deal of music making its way to and from Europe, an undeniable cause/effect relationship that continues to this day.

First its Elvis, and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Then its the Beatles as part of the first British Invasion.

It comes and goes.

Hendrix crosses the atlantic.

Then the guitar gods make their way.

The 60's begin with Les Paul's studio magic as a matter of record.

The Beatles demonstrate what a competent group of musicians can achieve.

They also take studio production magic to the next level.

The first generation synthesizer is recorded by the Beatles.

The amount of gigs the Beatles played around the world, to include non-english speaking nations, attest to the creation of world music in its earliest form.

Ritchie Valens had already began to explore the use of Latin rythyms just before he died.

Something that a former violinist named Carlos Santana would later explore successfully.

Fusion was also a phenomenon that in the popular view was already present.

So, going beyond what most people assumed as being exclusive to the 50's, you have a good number of reasons to consider the 60's.

Pop music is much older than the 60's. Stephen Foster is considered by many to be the first "popular music" writer. After the invention of the phonograph and radio there was "pop" music. Lots of it. Elecrified rock is more of a 60's thing but "pop" music has been around for a while.

Easy.....

Late 60's to early 70's no question. Only a few good bands since then.

My 14 year old daughter just asked me the other day why so many "Old" bands are getting back together. I just said, because they played together when music was good and they realize that there has been very little good music since.

I don't think there ever was a bad decade for music. Ever. I've been alive since the first half of the last century but have heard music from centuries ago. It's all been good. I think the focus of this question is pop-rock music and that limits your perspective. Many "classic rock" fans decry the state of music today but to me much of that criticism sounds like the criticism I heard from "older" folks back in the 50's and 60's. "You call that music" they said' date=' and we said yes. We may be too old for today's music but that doesn't make it bad.[/quote']

+1

Archived