Gibson Brands Forums

59 burst on Ebay

Rabs

The uncovered pickups, pickguard and poker chip seem awful white and not the aged cream color. I personally don't like the Bigsby on it. It's got a nice flame on it though. It would be nice to have more information about it. He or she has changed the tuners and is including them, it seems. Way out of my range though. :)

It's an old guitar in nice shape I guess. Still, just an old guitar. I could do a lot with a quarter mil, and that ain't even close to on the list.

rct

These people offer/sell lots of guitars on ebay using 2 different seller identities. I've often wondered how they get their hands on so many Tanglewood acoustics, all listed as used but usually with the swing tags still present. Returns? B stock? Rejects?

I think if I was really trying to sell a guitar for a quarter million dollars, I wouldn't do it on eBay and I certainly wouldn't buy a guitar that expensive on eBay, even if I had millions or billions of dollars, without fully checking it out and verifying what it is. The headstock does have quite a bit of aging on it. I'd like to see a serial number too.

Interesting to see you can pay by credit card. [blink]

A few years ago I took the limit on our (only) credit card back to $1500 - enough to cover 99% of bills or on-line purchases. I suspect having a credit limit that pays for that LP would be a fast road to divorce. [laugh]

I am not an expert on 59s, but this one doesn't look like any other I've ever seen. First the flame is nice, but doesn't look like a "Sunburst" to me, looks more like Honeyburst and I didn't think they did that in '59 (although I could be wrong). Never saw one with uncovered pickups or a Bigsby from the factory. The jack plate looks like a replacement. Tuners replaced with old ones included.

So no I don't think it is "all original" by any means. From the crackle finish you can tell it is old, but no serial number to verify.

A nice old Gibson LP, but ridiculous money no matter what it is.

For an old guitar the frets look surprisingly good. Plus are they fatter than Gibson fitted back then? If you have a guitar and want 250k wouldn't you clean the case? It looks like it's been purposely dirtied. If I were going to buy this I'd want someone from Gibson to authenticate it first.

For an old guitar the frets look surprisingly good. Plus are they fatter than Gibson fitted back then? If you have a guitar and want 250k wouldn't you clean the case? It looks like it's been purposely dirtied. If I were going to buy this I'd want someone from Gibson to authenticate it first.

The condition of the frets (and existent nibs after all this time) caught my eye too.

I have never seen a 59 like that one (including the colour). Was the Bigsby a factory original fit? There can't have been many 59s fitted with Bigsby's.

Still, a nice looking guitar nonetheless but I would have thought a genuine seller of a 59 would have nothing to lose and everything to gain by showing the serial number.

The condition of the frets (and existent nibs after all this time) caught my eye too.

I have never seen a 59 like that one (including the colour). Was the Bigsby a factory original fit? There can't have been many 59s fitted with Bigsby's.

Still, a nice looking guitar nonetheless but I would have thought a genuine seller of a 59 would have nothing to lose and everything to gain by showing the serial number.

This page has the most extensive list of bursts ive ever seen... http://www.burstserial.com/

Some of them do indeed have bigsbys but theres just pics to go on so no info on what specs they were (or are)

This page has the most extensive list of bursts ive ever seen... http://www.burstserial.com/

Some of them do indeed have bigsbys but theres just pics to go on so no info on what specs they were (or are)

Wow! That's a whole lotta Bursts!

Did any of them ever have a Varitone fitted as original equipment I wonder. I know a few odd Super 400s have got them.

I am not an expert on 59s, but this one doesn't look like any other I've ever seen. First the flame is nice, but doesn't look like a "Sunburst" to me, looks more like Honeyburst and I didn't think they did that in '59 (although I could be wrong). Never saw one with uncovered pickups or a Bigsby from the factory. The jack plate looks like a replacement. Tuners replaced with old ones included.

So no I don't think it is "all original" by any means. From the crackle finish you can tell it is old, but no serial number to verify.

A nice old Gibson LP, but ridiculous money no matter what it is.

Honeyburst is just a cherryburst that faded. The red dye would fade over time leaving various colours that modern LPs try to replicate (iced tea, lemonburst, etc.).

This guy has a guitar shop in Sunderland and he sells along with other things Tanglewood returns and seconds.

I would guess that the ambiguous format of the E bay lisiting is to get exposure, I'm sure he doesn't expect to sell it on E Bay. After all a location of North East hardly fills you with confidence and the price is just daft, I would look to a Price of under £75.000 in Denmark Street.

PS I think the Bigsby is right but I can't say I like it.

Archived