Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson introduces Guitar w/Built in Overdrive

RevDavidLee

Back in the mid '60's (Last Century) when I came of guitar playing age, there was a regionally famous, and

excellent "Live" band, called "The Blue Things," and their lead guitar (Mike Chapman) had a built in "Fuzz"

(as we called ALL distortion devices, back then), in his Danelectro Guitarlin. He made excellent use of

it, as well. It was the first such "built in" device, in a guitar, that I'd seen, at that point (1965).

But, aside from not having to be in one particular place, on stage, to engage it, I can't think of any

real advantage, to built in, over stomp on! [biggrin] I suppose one could change the amount of "fuzz"

and/or "tone" too, of the distortion, on the fly, so to speak, if that is wanted/needed?

CB

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"If there is one thing the blues is afraid of, it's the pipes" - Robbie Basho.

That's Brilliant!

msp_laugh.gif

I've also heard them described as "Bagpipes; the 'Missing Link' between Music and Noise".

I'll see your Robbie Basho and raise you a Rufus Harley;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zvRV9DSNzM

Serious, for a second.

Thanks for the Robbie Basho clip, jdgm. I'd never heard of him before.

Had a quick 'wiki' and he sounds like an interesting chap. I'll have to track down some more of his stuff.

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

...and Scotland is generally rubbish.

Yeah, but at least the Scots-Irish didn't feel the need to inflict a class system on the populous in order to cloak our joy of inbreeding!

(notwithstanding our lack of the prerequisite for a class-anything...)

You guys o'var are smarter and funnier but we have cowboys and everybody kind of wants to be a cowboy 'cause then nobody questions how much of a tough guy you are. (Ricochet sound) [thumbup]

There were so many westerns on TV when I was a kid that some of us didnt realise it was America's past. We thought the whole country was cowboys, covered wagons, wooden forts & tribal Indians.

Guest Farnsbarns

There were so many westerns on TV when I was a kid that some of us didnt realise it was America's past. We thought the whole country was cowboys, covered wagons, wooden forts & tribal Indians.

[scared] it's not???

Guest Farnsbarns

I don't know what part of the country y'all are from, if you're in the US but around here in Kentucky it surely is.

I'm from the part which is on the other side of the Atlantic ocean.

Archived