Gibson Brands Forums

It happened again.............NGD

NHTom

msp_love.gifmsp_love.gifmsp_love.gif

Tell Us More!

I'm not too familiar (i.e. I'm completely ignorant) with the Fender Custom Shop stuff.

Is it a '65 (-ish) 'Transition Period' reissue? with a rosewood cap 'board? And is that finish called 'Burgundy Mist' by any chance?

I'll bet it plays like butter!

V. Nice Score, Tom!

eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif

Pip.

It's a 2017 Fender Custom Shop "Postmodern" Strat with "journeyman" relic in Burgundy Mist.

The whole postmodern thing is kind of odd but kind of cool. They blend a lot of vintage appointments with some modern things like the contoured neck heel and tone circuit but has vintage style tuners, bridge, etc. I'll get all the specs tonight.

The journeyman relic is wonderful as I feel it gives it a broken in/used look without appearing to have been dragged behind a truck.

I've had this on layaway for a while and funny story, My local shop treats me very well and said "since it's been in the box for so long, lets just check all the action, etc"...........pulled it out after months on a shelf and still actually almost perfectly in tune........action like Butter!!!

Short story on why I chose this color........

As a kid, there was an article in one of the guitar mags (Guitar player maybe) where they featured a different guitar each month in a centerfold. Elliot Easton of he Cars, was featured in one and he had a 64 or 65 that was un-played with all the hang tags, etc in left handed. I fell in love with that color and have always wanted one. Fast forward a few decades and I walked into my local shop and they had made a few special purchases from Fender at NAMM........This one was hanging there and since I never see any in Burgundy Mist, I couldn't walk away.

More to come later!!!

NHTom

Thanks for the story behind the purchase, Tom. Sounds like an interesting proposition.

Oddly enough the first time I saw a Fender in Burgundy Mist was also in Guitar Player back in the early '80s. They were featuring some choice beauties from John Entwhistle's extensive collection and he had a '63 B-M Precision. I seem to recall him stating that it's one of the rarest of colours to find in terms of all-original instruments which might explain why they almost never pop up.

I believe there were a few Squiers made recently in B-M but I can't remember seeing a USA-made Fender in that finish over here in the UK.

Looking forward to the tone-report!

Pip.

Forrest White was the color guy, he elbowed Leo in the ribs about color and binding on the Tele Custom. I recall him saying the Burgundy Mist was really inconsistent and that it yellowed fairly quickly. A good spray is apparently hard to find.

rct

Forrest White was the color guy, he elbowed Leo in the ribs about color and binding on the Tele Custom. I recall him saying the Burgundy Mist was really inconsistent and that it yellowed fairly quickly. A good spray is apparently hard to find.

rct

Interesting.......might explain why they are on the rarer side if they were difficult to work with.

\

NHTom

Good find, and a rare color apparently. Congrats and enjoy [thumbup] [thumbup]

(And you are correct - you have NO willpower!!)

well....this isn't exactly a "Don't buy the guitar" support group...lmao.

NHTom

Not usually a fan of gold hardware, but in this case.... Yum!

I'm the same way.......normally hate gold hardware, especially on a fender, but for some reason, I liked it on this one.

NHTom

It's a 2017 Fender Custom Shop "Postmodern" Strat with "journeyman" relic in Burgundy Mist.

The whole postmodern thing is kind of odd but kind of cool. They blend a lot of vintage appointments with some modern things like the contoured neck heel and tone circuit but has vintage style tuners, bridge, etc. I'll get all the specs tonight.

The journeyman relic is wonderful as I feel it gives it a broken in/used look without appearing to have been dragged behind a truck.

I've had this on layaway for a while and funny story, My local shop treats me very well and said "since it's been in the box for so long, lets just check all the action, etc"...........pulled it out after months on a shelf and still actually almost perfectly in tune........action like Butter!!!

Short story on why I chose this color........

As a kid, there was an article in one of the guitar mags (Guitar player maybe) where they featured a different guitar each month in a centerfold. Elliot Easton of he Cars, was featured in one and he had a 64 or 65 that was un-played with all the hang tags, etc in left handed. I fell in love with that color and have always wanted one. Fast forward a few decades and I walked into my local shop and they had made a few special purchases from Fender at NAMM........This one was hanging there and since I never see any in Burgundy Mist, I couldn't walk away.

More to come later!!!

NHTom

a few more observations...........

Plays like butter. Neck is fairly big and chunky and the smoothed off/"worn" finish on the back of it is awesome. Nice pickups. Good definition and a nice twang/crunch thing without being at all ice pick. I see this being a great all around as it does strat sounds perfect, but has enough girth to fill in as a "humbucker light" kind of feel if required to in a pinch.

A couple more of the "Postmodern" things on it.......no string trees which is kind of strange visually. Also, this series comes with Schaller lock buttons installed.......great for me because that is what I use. But there are no locks with it.......comes with a strap, and the buttons, but no way to attach the two. I have a call in to the dealer all ready on that one. I will try to get some sound clips and post those.

NHTom

A couple more of the "Postmodern" things on it.......no string trees which is kind of strange visually.

That's because it has staggered height tuning machines. I do this to all my Strats. Much preferred in my opinion. [thumbup]

Archived