Gibson Brands Forums

Do you name your guitars?

Pin

I am tempted to name my Fingerbone strat 'Stinker'. Although I have scrubbed & scented it a few times it still has a slight but definite tobacco smell.

I have since given it a couple of rubdowns with vinegar.

Leave it out in the sun a while.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am tempted to name my Fingerbone strat 'Stinker'. Although I have scrubbed & scented it a few times it still has a slight but definite tobacco smell.

A guitar that stinks of tobacco smoke is as it should be! [biggrin]

• 2 months later...

Naming an inanimate object serves no purpose...........but it can be fun.

I have a name for my Harley, my wife names every car she has had "Betsy" but guitars not so much.

Until my latest acquisition, my white Les Paul studio I have named Angel, because it is white w/gold hardware and she has a the voice of one. [tongue]

I have named a few of mine.........but not all.

Some I just refer to by what they are......Fender American Select with Blackwood top just becomes "The blackwood" Double Cut Special is the "double cut", etc......

A few have earned names though..........

I have a capri orange strat with cream pearl pickguard.......begged to be called the "creamsicle"

My Les Paul Studio Gem......Dirty Sheila.....not sure why, it just fits

and my R8 Lemonburst.......I really wanted a Collector's Choice Keith Nelson "Louis" burst, but way out of my price range, so my lemon R8 is Lois.....close enough, and like boats, they should be girls names

I can see where a professional big time musician would actually name them just to speed up and simplify things with their guitar tech. "tonight I want to use blackie on Layla" that sort of stuff.

NHTom

I've decided to name my Tribute "the 2017 Tribute that I bought with a bunch of money I had, money I decided to spend on the guitar in question".

Or "Malnutrition". Most people don't justify buying a guitar when they're broke with "it'll be like an adventure". It's what separates the men from the boys.

Joking aside, you can live on very little if you put your mind to it. Butchers sell cheap scraps of grade-A meat that'll do you for protein - just ask (and make sure they sell it cheap because it was cut wrong, not because it's BSE concentrate). Pasta costs next to nothing. And thanks to modern science, we no longer need to ingest vile weeds for vitamins.

I also advocate making your own wine. You'd think you could do without, but from time to time you go, Al Bundy-style, "Oh God, look at my life", and you'll find it comes in handy.

Plus, a bottle of rotgut wine is five bucks here in Sweden, and that's a good three-four bucks in taxes.

• 2 weeks later...

No. My instruments, guitars, saxes, etc., are extensions of me, not individual entities.

I am 'one with my instruments'. But if I want to refer to one, I'll call it by brand and/or model.

I name my cars because they seem to have a mind of their own, but my instruments are like gloves.

Notes

Archived