Gibson Brands Forums

What type picks do you use ?

brc

Dunlop tortex 1.14 mm. I think I started using them in the mid 80's. I used plastic picks for a while but I'd break the medium ones and wear down the heavy ones too fast with the music we were playing. I tried one of the Dunlops one day and I've been using them ever since, when I use a pick. I've tried probably just about every style, shape, thickness and material there is. I play classical as well and I use my fingers when I'm fingerpicking. I never was able to make much use of the thumb and finger picks that you wear. The Dunlops wear as well but they'll last a good 6 months, if I don't lose them. I always have at least two in my "pick pocket" of my jeans, a bag in whatever case I take with me, a few on my desk and in my desk drawer and a couple on the table next to the couch. I couldn't even begin to imagine how many picks I've owned over the last 40 years. The little guys sure like to sprout legs and run away, that's for sure. I always have a strip of duct tape on my mic stand to hold 10 picks there for an easy grab when I'm playing live. Yes, I know there's actual pick holders for that purpose. It's just what I'm used to and it works for me. However, I can and have used other picks and don't have a problem using anything else.

vendorimagesB0002GX7ZM_img1._CB353073079_.jpg

Hey there Mr. T

What the hell up ?

There are times when I wish I still did live in So Ca.

Kind of ironic, that we discover we actually lived maybe 20/30 min. from each other and did not start talking until I move 1/2 way around the world.

What I did when I started playing the alternating bass with my thumb was, just make it a point that I spent certain amount of time while I was playing/ practicing, and to set at least 20 min. for just the practice of using the thumb pick and do it over and over and over until it came naturally .

I started that style probably in the late 1960s, maybe early 1970s.

You will get so tired of the same thing, but even if you are sitting down watching TV, just grab a guitar and do it over and over .

But set a certain amount of time each time you play, to practice the alternating bass run.

When I was teaching guitar, I had lessons just for the Atkins/Travis style, even though they sound some what the same, the are completely different styles.

Lotsa cabinets and tamales over here haha. Any progress on that Strat?

I’m gonna follow your advice on practicing with the finger and thumb picks. Is there a brand or type that you like best? I’d like to get some different ones to try out

Lotsa cabinets and tamales over here haha. Any progress on that Strat?

I’m gonna follow your advice on practicing with the finger and thumb picks. Is there a brand or type that you like best? I’d like to get some different ones to try out

Got that Strat completed, and he loves it.

I am now working on a custom Telecaster for another customer.

As far as picks, try the “ Sharktooth” thumb pick, and a Dunplop fingerbpick. ( thin )

I would set picks to where just the very lip of the pick extended past my thumb and fingers .

I always had a tendency to pick very deep into the strings, so by having just the very tip of the pick extending past my fingers, I got away from picking deep into the strings.

Plus it gives you a smoother sound from the pick striking the string.

Early on when I used very light gauge strings I used a thin pick. Now that I gone to a little heavier gauge strings (.10s) I use Fender mediums. I use heavy picks for acoustic and when I play the L-5.

I always get white cause most of the time I played in bars with poorly lit stages and if you dropped one they were easier to find. I too used to tape a couple to the mic stand, but recently I broke down and bought a proper pick holder.

Archived