Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

RevDavidLee

Ordered today from American Musical Supply - will be delivered Saturday. $419 for USA made & comes with padded gig bag. There are mixed reviews on this one which I understand for the price. The reviews are from 5 stars down to 1 star. I will write my own review once she gets here.

I've had good experiences with some cheap guitars in the past few months so I'm not afraid to try this one. From my $99 Epiphone Les Paul SL to my $199 Squier Telecasters. I have been pleasantly surprised & pleased with those purchases so we'll see how this one rates. Time will tell & if it doesn't measure up I'll return it. Anyway here she is. Pic from the internet - will take & post actual pics when she arrives. :)

Gibson-SG-Fusion-S-Series-Bright-Cherry-2017_02.jpg

What ever job you have I want. Every week you get a new axe. Congrats.

Lol - everyone wants my job. I'm retired. :) Thanks to investments & 3 pensions I was able to retire way ahead of time & I'm loving it. I get up in the morning, eat breakfast, grab a guitar & play my guts out. Hook up with my friends (who are still working) for lunch, then go home & grab another guitar & play my guts out. Rinse. Repeat. Life is good. Have the nicest wife on the planet. When we got hitched 8 years ago, I already had a ton of gear & was gigging every weekend. She knew the life she was getting into & so when a new guitar, or amp, or pedal (or all of them at once) comes into the house - she doesn't bat an eye. My house is paid off. My car is paid off. The best part is simply this - music is like oxygen to me. I can't live without it. It is long past being a "hobby"... it's a way of life. And discussing gear & reading your threads about your latest acquisitions is one of the things I look forward to everyday. The sense of humor & fun sarcasm from the lot of you lets me know many of you would be my close friends if you lived nearby. Hell, many of you would be in a band with me. Have fun every single day. One never knows when there will be no more tomorrow. :)

Lol - everyone wants my job. I'm retired. :) Thanks to investments & 3 pensions I was able to retire way ahead of time & I'm loving it. I get up in the morning, eat breakfast, grab a guitar & play my guts out. Hook up with my friends (who are still working) for lunch, then go home & grab another guitar & play my guts out. Rinse. Repeat. Life is good. Have the nicest wife on the planet. When we got hitched 8 years ago, I already had a ton of gear & was gigging every weekend. She knew the life she was getting into & so when a new guitar, or amp, or pedal (or all of them at once) comes into the house - she doesn't bat an eye. My house is paid off. My car is paid off. The best part is simply this - music is like oxygen to me. I can't live without it. It is long past being a "hobby"... it's a way of life. And discussing gear & reading your threads about your latest acquisitions is one of the things I look forward to everyday. The sense of humor & fun sarcasm from the lot of you lets me know many of you would be my close friends if you lived nearby. Hell, many of you would be in a band with me. Have fun every single day. One never knows when there will be no more tomorrow. :)

Good for you Rev. I too was able to retire five years ago at age 53, Mine was just a matter of being lucky more than how hard I worked,just really fortunate. I love it. Sounds like you have your routine down. Enjoy the new guitar, that is a great price. Congratulations.

Yea, me too. It paid off in the end for certain.[thumbup]

edit: and nice guitar also!!

...There are mixed reviews on this one......from 5 stars down to 1 star. I will write my own review once she gets here...

Yes.

Reviews are fine if you understand and / or are in tune the perspective of the person doing the reviewing.

I'm 100% with M-E in that it just needs to be 'Good'; it doesn't have to out-perform a Custom Shop R-I and I'm absolutely sure you, more than most, are fully aware of that, Rev!

I've said it before and I'll say it again; my cheap-as-chips Squier Affinity Tele has the best, most comfortable and fastest neck of any Tele I've ever played.

I, too, am looking forward to the review.

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

That is amazing and also awesome in the original sense of the word! You go man

F-I-N-A-L-L-Y arrived! Was supposed to be here last Saturday. The fit & finish are perfect! It's a gorgeous guitar! When it was delivered it was 2 degrees outside & so I have not tuned it up or plugged it in yet because I'm letting it acclimate to the house temperature first. I did take photos of course & will post them very shortly for your viewing please. More of an overall review once this girl thaws :)

There are lots of things there that look to be very well done.

The neck / body join appears to be super; ditto the rear of the neck itself; the peghead and all fitments look spot-on.

I think you've 'done real good', Rev! And it can almost be that missing 'Fiesta Red' guitar that you don't have...

msp_thumbup.gif

Of course if it were mine I'd probably put p'up covers on it.

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

EDIT : Looking at the shape of the heel I'd like to ask whether it has a neck profile somewhere between a '59 and a '60?......eusa_think.gif......

I spent the evening with her. I love it. I'm very happy with my purchase. The action & playability is surprisingly good - I'm guessing it was setup before it left AMS. The only thing I had to do was tune her up once she warmed up. It's got a nice bite & sounded great on both chords and lead riffs. I played her clean with no pedals, then I hit the Fat button on the amp to add some gain & received a nice tweed crunch that quite frankly, I could play for days.

I see a couple retailers are still selling these for $699 - I imagine once they find out other retailers are selling them for $419 they'll either lower their prices or end up not selling them. I also purchased a generic sg case from Musicians Friend (open box) for $37 which also arrived today - perfect timing especially since the guitar took longer to get here than expected.

545175000001000-00-500x500.jpg

Life is good. Rock the hell on 2018 [thumbup]

Looks good. In my experience with guitars in this price range, they're incredibly good value for money if you can do things like fret work and soldering (to test different cap values) yourself. Phillip McKnight actually did a good video the other day about how to make a squier feel more like a fender. He ended up doing a fret polishing, filing and rolled edges as part of the modifications

Archived