Gibson Brands Forums

anybody really want a darkfire?

Gibson rocks

The new Dark Fire is nice but is anyone out there actually bothered to buy one? i mean there all singin'n'dancin but if this guitar is the best (meaning most indepedent) it can go wrong cant it? say you were in a live gig and the auto tuning mechanism broke and suddening went out of tune or to another tuning, not very clever is it! or if the master nob malfunctioned but thats my opion just like to here others

say you were in a live gig and the auto tuning mechanism broke and suddening went out of tune or to another tuning, not very clever is it!

Thats why right out of the box it defaults to the "Bypass" mode - where it operates just like a normal passive electronics Les Paul - even with a dead battery , you can still tune it manually, and play it for years as it essentially sounds like a Gary Moore BFG.

Its only when you pull the MCK "up" that the Robo fun begins.

If the "robo fun" should break mid set at the gig, just push the MCK down, and you still have a great sounding Les Paul. - Yes you can Manually tune the thing too.

Its far more clever than a Variax in this regard - and instead of the Variax's pseudo DSP emulated guitars with poor dynamic range - the Dark Fire has a 100% analog audio path that reacts to all your picking dynamic's , Heavy Metal Palm Muting, and the real "DSP Flutter free" alt tuning of Dark Fire allows singing Ry Cooder / Mick Taylor slide solos, or Jimmy Page DADGAD "Kashmir" in seconds.

I find it the most brilliant guitar to arrive on the scene in years. Everyone should go play one before jumping to false conclusions.

dinosaur001A.jpg

There are some guys in the Dark Fire section that will answer your questions... If they got a dark fire here I would be the one buying it... I like the options and think it is a very good idea, prety useful in the studio or live (or home, but the price makes me think about producing money).

The auto tuning system is a cool thing but I wouldn't even notice it... I would have it off most of the time. The real cool stuff is in the pickup config and the ability to shape the tone... that and the ability to send every string to a different signal.

They look good also (not great). I would have liked them to release the dark fire in "normal" colors... like they did later with the robot... I think black binding and black inlays are wrong... they dont work with the guitar's finish but against it.

When electric windows were first optional on cars my dad said "how ridiculous, what if they break. I can wind the window down my self!"

I remember remote controls being met with cynicism and people saying things like "I am only two foot from the tv. I can press the tv buttons without a remote"

Of course we all live happily with the above now! These are trivial examples too.

I have some reservations about technology in music of course but try and remember that sometimes my thought may be influenced my technophobia LOL.

I think Gibson should be applauded for striving to innovate with their guitars. Yes there have been some commercial flops, and no doubt will be many more, but there desire to keep testing and trying new things makes them one of my most cherished brands.

Matt

man, so think of it this way

lets say your axe isnt making any noise, youve looked at everything else and it HAS to be your axe that is the prob.

if you have a meter and a soldering iron, you can isolate the problem in your axe, and fix it in a timely fashion, now thats for a more traditional guitar, all the parts are relatively simple, boom your back to making noise again

i dont even want to think about trying to open up a darkfire if it crapped out on me, thats just my opinion

Fantastic innovation' date=' I'd love one but I think I'll wait until the second or third evolution. I'm sure this one's great but I'll give them a couple of years to refine and perfect the technology.[/quote']

+1. Concept is great but I would also want to wait for Gibson to improve on the design/tech before considering it. I never want to get the first of anything because they never get it right first time around.

The new Dark Fire is nice but is anyone out there actually bothered to buy one? i mean there all singin'n'dancin but if this guitar is the best (meaning most indepedent) it can go wrong cant it? say you were in a live gig and the auto tuning mechanism broke and suddening went out of tune or to another tuning' date=' not very clever is it! or if the master nob malfunctioned but thats my opion just like to here others [/quote']

Imagine this.

You are in the middle of your licks and every time you bend the string the damn thing

keeps on slacking to stay in tune. That's gonna be really hilarious.

they used to think trains were the devils carriage.

look how many people around the world use trains now.

people need to get over themselves.

i myself think its a great idea and would buy one this second if i had the money

Imagine this.

You are in the middle of your licks and every time you bend the string the damn thing

keeps on slacking to stay in tune. That's gonna be really hilarious.

doesn't happen unless you leave the mck up.

once you push it back in it becomes a normal tone knob and doesn't try to retune.

call me a traditionalist but its more of a toy than a musical instrument

1 it tunes itself (if your too lazy to tune your guitar im asking why you have one)

2 the new pickups, so much for every guitar having its own tone its own personality, this guitar can duplicate the sound of any guitar i think thats just crazy

3 picking up off of 2 i think its a means to an end for gibson if you can make your guitar sound like any guitar in the world why buy a new one? just go to ur computer and dial the tone in.

this post sounds like im some emo kid who hates the world

I had a Darkfire in fact I had two when they first came out both came with major issues and the switching switch and volume knob was damaged on both. while it was a cool concept I decided I could live without it and gave up on the order. when the technology is finally all worked out I think it would be great to be able to change tuning in seconds and use one guitar to perform but for now not worth the frustration and issues.

Archived