Gibson Brands Forums

"Cover" Bands Rant

What percentage of bands actually get to the making a record part of being a musician and touring as a support act and then go on to bigger and better things? Not sure but I'll bet the band that make it ratio to bands that don't are in the favor of band that don't.

Anybody can make a Record. All it takes is money. It doesn't mean it will be any good though. All the rest of it is the hard part.

It's like playing Pro Sports or Running for Congress or going to the Olympics... At least a million to one shot. That's why I say it's a tough Business, it takes everything you got & there are no guarantees.....

But learning your Craft well, approaching it as a Professional & as a Business it's very possible to make a good living as a Cover Band. It's very do-able.... It does help to live in the right Places.. you may have to move..

Lars

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes I see singer/songwriters as having a holier than thou attitude, like they are true artists and those that do cover songs are not really artists but lesser beings. I see it not only in this thread but also in many forums. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the responses.

Try telling Luciano Pavarotti, Yo Yo Ma, Joshua Bell, Vladimir Ashkenazy, Sarah Chang, Anne-Sophie Mutter, Itzhak Perlman, and so many others that they are not artists because they only interpret other people's songs.

Try telling the New York Philharmonic, San Francisco Symphony, St. Petersburg Philharmonic, Gewandhaus Leipzig, Montreal Symphony and others that they are lesser beings because they are just covering other people's music.

There are many ways to be an artist. Writing songs is an art. Singing them is also an art, and no lesser of an art than writing them - just a different art.

My all-time favorite tenor sax player, Stan Getz had a long career playing other people's songs better than anybody else, and his improvisations were so appropriate that they seemed to be compositions in their own right that someone might have slaved over for months instead of coming off the top of Stan's head at the moment.

And in addition. There was a time when the songwriter/bands/artists were cover artists to the background parts made by The Wrecking Crew, The Swampers, The Funk Brothers and other groups of studio musicians. I can imagine the songwriter/guitarist after the session thinking, "Now I have to learn that solo Tommy Tedesco played note for note before I bring this tune on the road."

When I was younger, I was the opening act for a number of hit artists in the day. Many of them didn't nearly have the chops the Wrecking Crew had, and may have been good songwriter singers, but a bad cover band for the instrumental parts.

I also remember an interview with the great Otis Blackwell. The interviewer asked if he minded sharing the writing credits to "Don't Be Cruel" and others with Elvis, even though Elvis didn't write a thing on that song. Otis responded he was overjoyed because he knew that if Elvis sang it, it would sell a million copies and he would get half the writing credits, if someone else sang it, it could be a flop.

I think of all the wonderful performance of top40 singers in my life that didn't write their own songs, and I think how much sadder my life would have been if these great artists didn't interpret the songs the way that they did.

Thanks to all the cover bands and cover artists that enriched my life, and thanks to all the songwriters who penned the songs that I love.

Ain't nothin' wrong with being a cover artist.

Insights and incites by Notes

We are talking about two different topics. The OP is talking about the type of cover band you see at every bar, possibly even including bigger tribute bands such as Led Zepagain.

You are referring to artists who quite obviously put their own spin on their covers, with the exception of the classical artists who are obviously not relevant to this discussion at all.

I'm gonna go play lots of covers tonight, and have a blast doing it. And make some $ and watch some hot women dance as I play.

Some of the cover bands I've played with in the past have also mixed in originals. They usually went over fairly well. I've never had a lot of success writing complete songs, but can start a basic idea, or contribute to someone else's song idea.

We are talking about two different topics. The OP is talking about the type of cover band you see at every bar, possibly even including bigger tribute bands such as Led Zepagain.

You are referring to artists who quite obviously put their own spin on their covers, with the exception of the classical artists who are obviously not relevant to this discussion at all.

All the Orchestral Masters (Mozzy, Ludwig, Gustav ect) wrote music for many musician's (orchestra's) to play, so they probably other then when they were composing and working out parts never gigged, so to speak their own music.

...There are many ways to be an artist. Writing songs is an art. Singing them is also an art, and no lesser of an art than writing them - just a different art...

^This.

The musical score is the script. The interpretation and playing of that notation is the performance of that script. Both are vitally important.

Pip.

Still? Again? It is my long experience that when these threads start, quarterly like clockwork, on almost all guitar forum type places, it is because somebody is all mad because they were out in a bar and my crappy band was getting paid generous money plus free drinks plus free food plus I was settin the hook like Quint on every mom I could while they stood in the back and nursed one beer for three hours all bunched up in the shorts because their way-better-than-my-crappy-cover-band originals outfit couldn't score a gig if they paid for it.

I'm not saying anything bad, I'm relating experience.

Sure sure, Bob and I have written a bunch and sure, once in a while we toss one out but not often. It just isn't what they want in 95% of the places out there, 100% of the places we play. It's truly a situation in which it is entirely appropriate to say "It is what it is".

rct

Anybody who can make money doing what they enjoy is okay with me. I personally have a low tolerance for repetition, so if I'm listening to a cover band, it's better to me if they can find a way to make their sound fresh.

Still? Again? It is my long experience that when these threads start, quarterly like clockwork, on almost all guitar forum type places, it is because somebody is all mad because they were out in a bar and my crappy band was getting paid generous money plus free drinks plus free food plus I was settin the hook like Quint on every mom I could while they stood in the back and nursed one beer for three hours all bunched up in the shorts because their way-better-than-my-crappy-cover-band originals outfit couldn't score a gig if they paid for it.

Sure sure, Bob and I have written a bunch and sure, once in a while we toss one out but not often. It just isn't what they want in 95% of the places out there, 100% of the places we play. It's truly a situation in which it is entirely appropriate to say "It is what it is".

rct

+1

Lucky

What about people like me who enjoy playing guitar but make ZERO money doing it?? LOL [biggrin]

Still lucky.

But IMHO not as lucky as me. I LOVE my life!

I'm doing music and nothing but music. I have a wife who plays guitar and synth and is a great singer, I play over a half dozen instruments and am an adequate singer, and we are not only best friends, but we really, really enjoy making music together. We've been a duo since 1985 and still in demand. Before that we were in a 5 piece band, and before that a trio. I make my own backing tracks, so the songs can be close covers, extreme reinterpretations, or anything in between. I really like making the tracks because it gives me a chance to play drums, bass and keys, three instruments I don't bring to the gig. It also lets me use arranging chops that I learned in school.

Back to cover bands.

I have no desire to see a "Tribute Band", it just seems a night of the same group music that isn't the real group doesn't do it for me. Not that it's a bad thing, just not my thing.

If I hear a good cover band I enjoy them but I really don't go out to hear small bands anymore unless they are my friends and/or competition (who are also friends). It's not that I don't appreciate it, but there are things I like to spend my time/money on more.

I went through a long jazz phase, I even got to hear some of my favorite artists, and I was in a sunday jazz jam band where big-time famous people sat in. But I still made my living on other nights doing pop music.

But I pretty much left that behind.

I mostly go to Symphonies now. I guess my ears have evolved to hear and try to understand more complexity in music. That's not to say I don't enjoy some 3 chord blues, and there are plenty of them and other types of music on my Walkman. It's just that if I'm going to listen to something live, I prefer a symphony orchestra playing something in the Romantic era to the contemporary.

But we are all musicians, and we listen with musician's ears. The public listens with audience ears.

When I'm on the gig, I play what I think the audience wants to hear. I play a lot of covers, and I reinterpret a lot as well. When I'm taking an improv solo, it's mostly pentatonic or blues scale based, because that's what they understand. I try to make it work by coming up with good melodic lines, a few but not to many surprises for them, and lots of emotional expression.

There is an old adage: You can play for yourself, you can play for other musicians, or you can play for the general public. If you are good enough, you will get the audience you asked for.

I mostly ask for the general public, and they have never let me down.

We only do a couple of original/parody songs, so I guess some would say we are a cover duo. And I see nothing wrong with that. It paid off the mortgage and got me to 5 of the 7 continents so far.

Do I consider myself an artist? I don't think of myself that way, it seems too braggadocio to me. I'm just a damn good musician having a great life playing music to pay the bills. Art is a funny word, that really has a very slippery meaning anyway.

Insights and incites by Notes

rct

Seen that a lot back when we were playing. One guy, who "played guitar" just hated me for some reason. I don't know why, don't think I had anything to do with his girlfriend. I don't know if he thought he was better or what but he was always the one coming to see us and mocking me, right in front of me. So, at one show, I held out my guitar towards him and beckoned him up to play. He backed down. Never saw the guy do anything or play anywhere. I don't even know if he was any good or not.

If people are playing, doing what they love whether it's originals or covers, on stage, in studio or in their bedroom, good for them. Getting paid for it is definitely a good bonus. Putting others down for doing what they want and what they love usually doesn't work out too well.

One thing that I'm not so keen on is big name bands where only one of the original members are playing. Last year I paid to see Nazareth, but when I got there the only original member was the bass player! They were bloody awful, I left after about 5 numbers.

Ian

Do I consider myself an artist? I don't think of myself that way, it seems too braggadocio to me. I'm just a damn good musician having a great life playing music to pay the bills. Art is a funny word, that really has a very slippery meaning anyway.

I kinda think the word "musician" has a similar slipperiness. Back in the forum's older days, we discussed those concepts.

One thing that I'm not so keen on is big name bands where only one of the original members are playing. Last year I paid to see Nazareth, but when I got there the only original member was the bass player! They were bloody awful, I left after about 5 numbers.

Ian

That is the norm now with bands who's members are 102 years old. Look at Yes, no original members and still touring as Yes. Give me a break. Thanks Mick Jagger.

Archived