Gibson Brands Forums

Your favorite guitar (And the one that got away)

9 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

No, that's legit.  I'm way better with hand tools than Photoshop!

ooohhhh!......my Record 044C Plough Plane really gets my juices flowing....and don't even get me started on Norris A1 Panel Planes!

Pip.

Edited by pippy

8 hours ago, pippy said:

The 650 sounds intriguing. I should see if any of the London dealerships have one in stock and have a go on one.

And on the subject of 'odd fish'.........the 'Mustang' is actually a very short-lived (pre-?) production Fender model. In his 1983 book on the Fender Guitar Donald Bronsac introduces the model with the words "This is Fender's Mystery guitar...".  It is known by various names. When I bought it (1980) it was referred to as a Fender 'Arrow'. I've heard it being called a 'Musiclander' but officially it seems to have been intended to be named the 'Swinger'. The confusion arises because the peghead on most surviving examples (apparently) has only the CBS-style 'Fender' waterslide. The only instruments which have a name decal were the ones which had a 'Swinger' sticker but these were adhesive stickers and were applied over the lacquer and most instruments (apparently) have lost these labels. In the book Bronsac states they were made in 1969 but the neck stamp of mine was dated 9 Jan 67. If you want more info send me a PM.

It sounded rubbish, to be perfectly frank. Like the neck p'up of a weedy 1/4-strength Telecaster on a bad day. I kept it because it was a bit of fun unplugged, very comfortable to play - it has the back cutaway like a Strat - and with that scooped-out rear-end and it's really quite a rare thing. I was as good as swindled out of it by a London dealership one day when times were tough.  I knew I was being shafted but at the time 'Needs Must' was the order of the day. Many years later I saw an article in a guitar mag which featured a collector with his group of half-a-dozen (I think) Swingers which he had acquired over the years crowing about how he had managed to get them all for peanuts because no-one knew what they were. It was the same guy who owned the shop which swindled me. Usually I forgive and forget but not this time and not with this guy.

A better picture of someone else's Swinger;

04-Fender-Musiclander-3983-1200-RGB-thum

If you do get either a Mustang or Duo-Sonic and don't rate the sound the p'up(s) can be changed in no time for something far better. I have always liked the Duo-Sonic myself ever since I saw a maple-necked pre-CBS one being played by Patti Smith.

Pip.

Not my favorite but my first electric is a  Teisco copy of the Swinger.

IMG_42811_zpsm2dnkd1i.jpg

5 minutes ago, Dave F said:

V. Cool!

Quite restrained by Teisco standards. 20 frets? Not too many knobs nor p'ups so should have been relatively understandable.

How does / did she sound? I've heard a lot of friends talk about their Teisco's with fondness.

Pip.

12 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

Easy now, don't get carried away.

Too late!...

Norris-Plane-Picture.jpg

Norris-planes.jpg

I'll tell you; it's just as well I've just downed two mugs of Horlicks instead of my usual two pints of Lagavullin. My eBay account can rest easy tonight.

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My favorite is my 1973 Cherry Sunburst Gibson Hummingbird, even with the inevitable scars it has from being around that long. It has a depth of tone I was basically looking for all my life. I was 67 years old when I got it, and I will have it until I take my last breath. I had it appraised, and the number they quoted me was way beyond what I paid for it (more than 2X) and I have turned down a couple of offers. I tell them "find your own...this is how I want to sound".

post-98753-022613100%201550851485.jpg

4 hours ago, Black Dog said:

Haha!  This may now morph into your favorite tool thread.  I don't do any wood working but those look nice.

Favorite tool thread!?! Maybe someone should start that next. I’d probably go with the Stew Mac truss rod saver kit, how many Gibson lives have been saved with that, we may never know. Just with it could’ve worked for my new J45😢Anyways its sounds good so far and once its playing right it may become my new favorite😉

77F0244B-7B63-45ED-9BDE-BB7C5AB25CEB.jpeg

4 hours ago, Dave F said:

IMG_42811_zpsm2dnkd1i.jpg

The one I got for Christmas of '65 was a single pickup model. I butchered that one, painted it a few times and wore out the fretboard then threw it away.

I picked this one up a year or two ago. It sounds thin but pretty decent plugged in to a tube amp but I'm partial to '57 Classics nowadays.

7 hours ago, pippy said:

Too late!...

Norris-Plane-Picture.jpg

Norris-planes.jpg

I'll tell you; it's just as well I've just downed two mugs of Horlicks instead of my usual two pints of Lagavullin. My eBay account can rest easy tonight.

Pip.

These look state of the art next to some of my dad's planes. In fact I've seen younger ones at the Weald & Downland Industrial Museum.

17 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Warmoth sells “Musiclander” bodies and necks with that headstock shape. I think it’s a cool guitar. My friend lent me a ‘64 mustang and the pickups sounded AMAZING but the neck was hideously small. I really would have bought it if I could play the neck

Without wishing to go off at a tangent too far....again.....

I've just had a look at the Warmoth Musiclander bodies and necks and, interestingly, they make them in the regular 25 1/2" Fender scale and not the 22 1/2" as per the originals.

Pip.

My all time fave is a 2003 fender mim strat, that guitar has been the longest with me, but every week/month a have a second fave,  right now is the LP tribute

The one i regret selling, i dont regret it that much but it would be nice to have a 2001 330 Rickenbacker

And i regret not buying a 2013 Gibson SJ100 that was a bargain but i dont know why i didnt go for it

On 6/23/2019 at 2:37 PM, TheLeadFlatpick said:

ALOT of awesome electrics so far, but where are the acoustics? I hope I’m not the only acoustic lover here

xbsySbE.jpg

heres mine. I guess I probably play this more than any of my other guitars so maybe it is my favorite? I love it anyway..

It’s a ‘52 Martin 00-18g. It is not in amazing shape but it feels and sounds super nice. I’d love to get a Martin steel string too 

1 hour ago, Dub-T-123 said:

xbsySbE.jpg

heres mine. I guess I probably play this more than any of my other guitars so maybe it is my favorite? I love it anyway..

It’s a ‘52 Martin 00-18g. It is not in amazing shape but it feels and sounds super nice. I’d love to get a Martin steel string too 

That guitar looks like a favorite pair of jeans.  They just feel right when you put'em on.

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2019 at 12:04 AM, Cougar said:

Still kind of bummed this one got away.  It was up on reverb for a year, I was ready to pull the trigger, and somebody snatched it.  A Guild DD 12-MCE - Doyle Dykes Signature 12-string 2014 Tobacco sunburst!

thup2zixk17xxz5adck6.jpg

This one didn't get away.  Still my favorite - a 2002 Guild jumbo JF30-12 whiskey sunburst....

jib793.jpg

When I bought my LP Special recently. The seller had a Guild acoustic for sale and it was so light. It virtually floated away. Lovely guitar. 

8 hours ago, Black Dog said:

That guitar looks like a favorite pair of jeans.  They just feel right when you put'em on.

Yeah! I can’t say the cracks or warp in the top are doing anything favorable for it, but the sound and playability are fantastic. 

In general the 00-18 just fits me perfectly. Gotta get the steel string version too. 

I have a Guild dreadnought which is light as a feather as Larry says, but I never play it because I can’t get into dreadnoughts

4 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

In general the 00-18 just fits me perfectly. Gotta get the steel string version too...

As a matter of interest, Dub, have you ever compared your 00-18 - or any other 00-18 - with an OM-18 / 21 scale'd Martin?

Pip.

6 hours ago, pippy said:

As a matter of interest, Dub, have you ever compared your 00-18 - or any other 00-18 - with an OM-18 / 21 scale'd Martin?

Pip.

I’m sure I have, but not in a thoughtful way where I could share my experiences.

I usually just rifle through every Martin in sight not paying particular attention to model numbers, but I seem to keep landing on the 00-18 when I find “the one”

Next time I will pay more attention and share my thoughts with you. But I am not an accomplished acoustic player and certainly am not an expert. As a side note I am building a couple mics in the following weeks and will probably have a new clip or two of the 00-18g to share

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

I’m sure I have, but not in a thoughtful way where I could share my experiences....I usually just rifle through every Martin in sight not paying particular attention to model numbers, but I seem to keep landing on the 00-18 when I find “the one”.

Next time I will pay more attention and share my thoughts with you. But I am not an accomplished acoustic player and certainly am not an expert. As a side note I am building a couple mics in the following weeks and will probably have a new clip or two of the 00-18g to share...

I'll look forward to hearing the clips.

I was asking about the 00- / OM- because I'd like to hear if there was much difference in playing comfort / ease of chording / fingerpicking / A.N.Other between the two different scales. I have two Dreadnoughts; one with the 00 scale and the other with the OM scale but whilst one is here in the UK the other is in France so I can't do a back-to-back comparison myself.

I'm no great acoustic player and there is only 0.6" (I believe) difference in scale but, still, I'm just a bit curious. Of course I should probably go to the acoustic sub-forum and ask but I don't really know anyone over there. I'm sure they would be helpful and quite a lot of them know an enormous amount of stuff.

Pip.

Edited by pippy

I have one of each...

Regret selling...

A 60's walnut ES-335 with trapeze tail piece which I had to sell in distress to pay rent in the early 70's. It may be that my memory is more fond of the reality, but it was so long ago I choose the fond memory :-)

Fave(s) today...

I can't do just one I'm a "love the one you're with" type player and these change depending on how close they are to my practice room.

My 2018  figured 335 and the Pat Martino custom. 

Edited by gnappi

I'm happy to say I have my two favorites: 2014 Firebird V and a Martin HD-28V.

The two guitars I miss most are my old 1973 (?) SG Standard and my old 79 ES-335 in wine red.  I wish I had never sold those two but, like an idiot, I did.

firebird3.jpg

28v1.jpg

• Upvote 1