Gibson Brands Forums

NUGD More Maple Goodness

Joe M

Big guitar show here last weekend. After spending a couple of hours looking and not finding anything that floated my boat, was on my way out with money in my pocket and no new guitar. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a little stand, the guy's wife and little baby, and 5 or 6 open guitar cases. In one of those cases was this beauty.....2009 build date with hardly any wear anywhere. Couple of very, very small dings on the headstock and that was it. Guy was from the other side of the state and bought and sold online only, no store. Said he had just taken in the guitar on a trade with some guy that wanted a 335 that he had. Negotiated a fair price and walked out with empty pockets and a beauty of a guitar. I've had a couple of these in the past, and, as with the J200 I just picked up a month or so ago, had forgotten what a great sound they had, almost like a quieter J200. Too much reflection to show the back of the guitar, but it's very subtle flame.

So, thanks to some helpful suggestions, here are a couple of pics of my newest Gibby........

GEOciap.jpg

uLyb1qU.jpg

• Upvote 2

Joe- you're killing me. "My name is Joe, and I'm quickly becoming a maple-holic"

Seconding what Em7 said, maybe a 3/4 angle shot to see a little color of the back n' sides. Of course, a little sound clip, 20-30 sec vid would always be appreciated.

Congrats. That's going to provide a dilemma, and some enjoyment- sitting down with the Dove and the '200. 

3 hours ago, 62burst said:

Joe- you're killing me. "My name is Joe, and I'm quickly becoming a maple-holic"

Seconding what Em7 said, maybe a 3/4 angle shot to see a little color of the back n' sides. Of course, a little sound clip, 20-30 sec vid would always be appreciated.

Congrats. That's going to provide a dilemma, and some enjoyment- sitting down with the Dove and the '200. 

Thanks, guys. And you’re right, burst, I have become a maple-holic myself. Plus I’ve got both the Dove and the 200 sitting next to each other, play one for a few tunes and switch to the other. I’ll see what I can do about getting a back shot tomorrow. 

52 minutes ago, Joe M said:

Thanks, guys. And you’re right, burst, I have become a maple-holic myself. Plus I’ve got both the Dove and the 200 sitting next to each other, play one for a few tunes and switch to the other. I’ll see what I can do about getting a back shot tomorrow. 

So what's the difference in sound between the two maples?

10 hours ago, generaldreedle said:

So what's the difference in sound between the two maples?

They really have a very similar sound; big, rich, full across the spectrum. The Dove is just a bit quieter and more subdued than the 200. I think maple is a tonewood that more should try. I always felt that rosewood sounded best to me, followed by mahogany, pretty traditional. But the more I play these maple guitars, the more I like, and appreciate, their tone.

Here's a not-very-good pic of the back of my Dove. As I said, the flame is very subdued, and because of the reflection, this is the best I could do.

MjxNJ4M.jpg

Edited by Joe M
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

Another great guitar! Congratulations. Wondering about both . Are the black bridge pins, stock, or replacements?

Paul, I'm almost positive the black pins on both the Dove and 200 are replacements. Pretty sure white was the original color.

Joe,

Glad you are getting into maple.

I’ve never found a Rosewood guitar that I though sounded any good (I guess my ears don’t like harsh tones) ... Maple has never let me down !

Some people consider maple a dead sounding wood  but I believe that what they are actually reffering to is it’s quick decay as far as notes. That’s what I love so much about maple ... It’s almost like the notes are ghosts , they are there for  a second or two and then they disappear.

With Rosewood getting harder to source I believe the majority of guitars in the future will be maple and I love that ... It doesn’t get too much respect among rosewood lovers but I am glad you can appreciate the qualiy of a fine maple or two.

Play your guitars in  good health!

btw even Neil Young who has been a staunch Martin man now plays a small body Gibson Century of Progress (maple back and sides)  on some songs of his last few tours. I heard it was a gift from his gf /wife Darryl Hannah 

JC

1 hour ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

Joe,

Glad you are getting into maple.

I’ve never found a Rosewood guitar that I though sounded any good (I guess my ears don’t like harsh tones) ... Maple has never let me down !

Some people consider maple a dead sounding wood  but I believe that what they are actually reffering to is it’s quick decay as far as notes. That’s what I love so much about maple ... It’s almost like the notes are ghosts , they are there for  a second or two and then they disappear.

With Rosewood getting harder to source I believe the majority of guitars in the future will be maple and I love that ... It doesn’t get too much respect among rosewood lovers but I am glad you can appreciate the qualiy of a fine maple or two.

Play your guitars in  good health!

btw even Neil Young who has been a staunch Martin man now plays a small body Gibson Century of Progress (maple back and sides)  on some songs of his last few tours. I heard it was a gift from his gf /wife Darryl Hannah 

JC

There was a time in my life, when I wasn’t interested in a guitar if it wasn’t Rosewood. Funny what changes time can bring. I only have one Rosewood guitar now. (Out of a dozen acoustics) . It’s a J-45 RW. Not quite as resonant as many other Rosewood guitars, & that’s why I like it.  Most of mine are mahogany, but I love my J-200, as well as my Dove.  The only other one I have that’s not mahogany is a 1920’s Oscar Schmidt  Galiano. It’s all Birch, which has a wonderful tone. It is in desperate need of having the frets filed down. Just waiting for a few extra bucks to have this done.  I find most Rosewood guitars to be over powering. I love a nice AJ, or D-28, but  for my preference I find them to be too much. If that makes any sense? I like them but they aren’t for me.

Edited by Paul14