Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson Strings

Leonard McCoy

SAG-CPB11.png

It seems they bid farewell to their more diverse string lineup. We now have three kind of strings available, one for acoustic, two for electric. The acoustic strings are all coated...

Coated Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings

• Thinly coated for longer lasting tone
  • Ultra soft feel
  • Developed and tested by Gibson Master Luthiers
  • Ultra-Light Gauge: .011 .015 .022 .032 .042 .052
  • Light Gauge: .012 .016 .024 .032 .042 .053
  • Medium Gauge: .013 .017 .026 .035 .045 .056

These strings, developed by our master luthiers, are loved by fans and artists around the world and adorn every acoustic guitar built in our Bozeman, MT facility. With high frequency clarirty and long lasting performance, they are the best sounding strings for your acoustic guitar.

https://www.gibson.com/Gear/Factory-Spec-Strings/SAG-CPB#

Edited by Leonard McCoy

Sounds like a good plan, to  focus on acoustic guitars and not worry about strings.   Two different product lines.  Strings are a 'commodity' item.  Like picks.  You try to compete with  D'Addario or Elixir and lose - and you have to make up that loss by increasing prices on guitars. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Murph said:

That's a shame. I've actually gone back to non-coated strings and have enjoyed the Gibson Masterbuilt 80/20's.

If they are no longer available I'll be buying something else.

Me, too, Murph. Enjoying the way they sound on my Dove.

In the past couple of weeks I just ordered 5 sets each of the 80/20's and PB's not even realizing that they were going away.  They arrived last Friday.  I really liked the 80/20's on one of my J45's.  I have yet to find a coated string I really liked.  These should last me awhile.   At 67 years old I thought I had finally solved the never ending search for "the right"  strings but here we go agin.

1 hour ago, blindboygrunt said:

Sure were they no just dadarrio strings in a different jacket?

80/20 dadarrios ?

Maybe, but all coated strings are not created equally! For instance, the Martin coated strings suck! At least these are made in Bozeman, instead of Mexico.

I wonder if the unwound strings are stainless steel? Im allergic to nickel so I use Elixirs as they are the only string I found for acoustic guitar that doesnt contain nickel.  If the high E and B arent coated or stainless steel I doubt they will last long, and I also dont see a coating lasting long on the high E and B anyways. If they do turn out to be stainless (which I doubt) I may need to try them, but I just ordered 9 packs of Elixirs off Ebay for $46.00 so I should be good for a while😁

There seems to be a question if the e Gibson strings are repackaged D'Adarios?  I have been using the EJ 16's for years and can say that the Gibson  PB's sound very different.  I have not used D'Adario 80/20's so can't comment on those.  I still use the D'Adarios on three of my acoustics but really liked the Gibson strings on the J45's. 

22 hours ago, Murph said:

That's a shame. I've actually gone back to non-coated strings and have enjoyed the Gibson Masterbuilt 80/20's.

Agree with the Joe and Cat and words above here. Masterbuilts are splendid strings, both 80/20 and ph. b.

Whether or not they are D'Addarios in disquise I can't say, but it isn't impossible.                                                                                                                                                                                                       Would be good to know, but probably hard to tell for market-mechanism-reasons.

I generally believe it would be nice to know the heck we have on these guitars - not least when purchasing them simply because we buy a sound we - in spite of lust for experimentation - will like to be able to maintain. So please Bozeman, tell us what you  have on the shelves - we are serious players, not kids, , , or sheep. 

In principle a good Approach from Gibson, the new design of the string bags looks nice.

A problem for me -

- I do not like any coated strings. Even if the differences in the "feeling" of coated strings gets better and better they make no sense for me as I have very dry hands and I have no Advantage of the longer lifetime of coated strings as they get dents of the frets in the "campfire positions" and have to be changed because they are mechinally "dead".

- I am using Gibson Phosphor Bronze and 80/20 strings on my Gibsons, 80/20 more on mahogany instruments, Phospor Bronze on maple bodies. If the 80/20 strings would be stopped would be a loss for me.

Anyhow - I still hope that Gibson will add uncoated strings and 80/20 strings to their product line.

By the way - did anybody try strings from Pyramid? they have a round core, no "hex" core. I have heard that this can lead to handling problems by cutting the strings at the tuning pegs.

if D'Addario is still making strings for Gibson,  (Pretty sure they were)  I hope they don't use / do the same for the "coating"

I don't like their treated string at all.  The feel sticky for me.  

Other than those particular coated strings, I'm a big fan of D'Addario strings...

I really like Gibson's Les Paul and J200 strings (silk ball ends) which I have been using for long now. But no more. I doubt their take on coated strings is bad at all, but it's a hell of a limited choice compared to the breadth of strings for all kinds of different guitars and purposes they had been offering until now.

Goodbye, my friend...

11088060_800.jpg

• 1 year later...