Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

Today my wife was going through some old stuff in a storage area above our garage.   She found a cardboard box  with a load of things I wrote back in the 70’s and 80’s when I was writing a lot of poems and just starting to write songs.  I hadn’t seen this stuff since before we’d built this house (32 years ago) and thought it had been lost during our big move.   Some of it is kind of “Mary had a little lamb and the doctor fainted” quality, but most of it (regardless of its quality) is in the nostalgic theme that I almost always write from.  I’ve found numerous old poems that I can pirate phrases and ideas from and a few that I may simply rewrite from my current perspective as an older-no-longer 25-year-old-dude..  This is really lighting a fire under my songwriting and fingerpicking ideas.  Hell, I’m even playing scales above the 7th fret and understanding what I’m doing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Today my wife was going through some old stuff in a storage area above our garage.   She found a cardboard box  with a load of things I wrote back in the 70’s and 80’s when I was writing a lot of poems and just starting to write songs...... I’ve found numerous old poems that I can pirate phrases and ideas from 

I wish I would save that stuff, never have.

Never used notebooks, just scraps of papers that get lost and tossed.

If it's not memorized, or recorded, it's gone.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Having coffee, having to upgrade my flip phone but verizon only has 4g flips, so II guess I will be good until they do away with 4g.

I had to buy a cassette player/recorder so I could go through a densely packed box of cassettes going back to the early 70's. Lots of surprises....

In the same boat with my old LG flip with Verizon.  But they offered me a phone so I do believe they have flips for the upcoming change.  If not, well, cell services are a dime a dozen, so I'll carry on to 12/31 then latch onto another cell provider.  [wink]

Whitefang

On 5/26/2022 at 5:21 AM, Whitefang said:

In the same boat with my old LG flip with Verizon.  But they offered me a phone so I do believe they have flips for the upcoming change.  If not, well, cell services are a dime a dozen, so I'll carry on to 12/31 then latch onto another cell provider.  [wink]

Whitefang

I have a TCL FLIP Pro coming its supposed to take 2 days, according to their tracking it hasn't shipped yet. I'm not totally sold on it most of the flips Verizon has do not have very good reviews.

Coffee is starting to pull back the curtains....

Early breakfast and flirting with the girls at Starbuck's.  Then, on TV, Formula 1 free practice 3 and then qualifying for the race tomorrow at Monaco.  Next, Saturday FaceTime with my kids and grandkids.  A cigar in the back yard (OK, TWO cigars).  Followed by lunch and flirting with the bartender at my favorite watering hole.  Now, laundry.  And then, next, I'm going to test drive my new pedal; a Mythos Pedals Mjolnir OD.

Built a new set of porch steps inside my garage. The old ones were too steep. My sister stumbled and fell on them a couple years ago and broke her ankle. She wasn't using the hand rail but still... I fell down them last week, at 3 am. letting my Jack Russell out to pee.

The rise is the same but now it has an 11" tread instead of 9". Maybe nobody will die now.

Going to try myJr DC at my weekend jam where the off grid power tends to be noisy, a good test for the hum eliminator.

qgnixDm.jpg

update ... there was a lot of noise until I clicked on the eliminator, which worked perfectly, I can play this bad boy with its Gibson P90 anywhere without fear.

This morning my wife told me to go ahead and find a Johnny Cash D35 for my end-of-the- month birthday.   I told her I’d already been watching one on REVERB.    Bought it this morning………. Actually, she doesn’t care what I buy.  Anyway, they said it ships tomorrow.  Sold my KOA AJ to a long-time friend last week, so she knew I was shopping again.

On 5/26/2022 at 6:56 AM, Murph said:

I wish I would save that stuff, never have.

Never used notebooks, just scraps of papers that get lost and tossed.

If it's not memorized, or recorded, it's gone.

Murph, these days, even if I’ve memorized  it, it might be gone….lol

Having coffee, slowly gaining consciousness, warming hands on my large cup, wow they feel pretty good today, wondering which guitar to take to rehearsal today. My back says, please play a lighter one, no ash bodies today please.

Played hockey last night, and, rain during the night and early morning, so I skipped my walk.

Yesterday I finished gluing the neck to the body of my DIY guitar project.

This morning removed the clamps and cauls, and after preping the body and bridge, glue and clamped them. 

Repaired a pair of Mrs. RBSinTo's reading glasses, mowed the lawn, and renewed my License Plate registration.

And just we just returned from a delicious restaurant dinner.

RBSinTo

My Blueshawk's lever style pickup selector switch was making some noise, it has circular 3 level stacked circuit boards each with a different mechanical switching function. So basically I had to clean the switching on 3 different boards on a stacked switch. But I was successful,  it worked perfectly at rehearsal..

Mortality reality check.

One of my oldest friends called today to tell me he's been diagnosed with prostate cancer and is having an op on Thursday.  He'd been having trouble with his p  since before the pandemic but his doctor kept dismissing it; he finally got a 2nd opinion recently, blood tests etc and boom - instantly diagnosed.   He hopes they've caught it early enough.  This is the guy who started the blues band with me in 2013 and then left it very abruptly in 2018.

I had 3 friends die of cancer in 2018-2019.  My mother died of ovarian cancer in 2002 - the hospital lost her file and x-rays for months and I've always wondered what might have been different in her last years had they not done so, especially since the health trust that still runs the hospital in question was/has been mired in scandal since at least then; a lot of unnecessary deaths.

Ageing......it's my birthday on 29th. I'll be 68.  Guess my starsign.

🦀

Edited by jdgm

This getting older stuff isn't quite what it's cracked up to be.

One of my coworkers who sat next to me for years is being buried today, breast cancer got the old girl.  They called her my work wife, she was one of a kind.

I was sure she'd beat it but guess it got into the lymph nodes and we know what happens after that.  

On a  cheerier note, I've got two King Crimson albums in transit, the ReconstruKction of Light and Power To Believe.  I'm trying to buy a few records each paycheck so got some holes in the Adrian Belew collection to fill coming up next.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Went to Wally World two nights ago, didn't wear a mask, I feel like King Kong went to Taco Bell and then sat on my face in my sleep.

Good day to finish this book I'm halfway through, The Soul Of An Octopus.  I had no idea they were so intelligent, it's a very interesting book.  No, I will not be buying a pet octopus, I'll stick with the giant reptiles and be happy.

Haven't been too active on here for a while. Long story short, I got COVID, beat COVID, but did lose the sense of smell and taste. Hopefully not for ever, but one day at a time. Beats losing your lungs. 

Oh, and trust me on this one - the vaccine works. No, it didn't stop me from contracting COVID, but it cut short the duration and certainly the severity. 

Send some prayers and good vibes my way though, because I'd like to get sense of taste and smell back. 

Otherwise, all good. 

• Like 1

It takes a little bit to recover from it, hopefully you won't have any long lasting after effects.

Come on over and I'll make dinner, you'll be glad you can't smell or taste anything.  Trust me on this one!

I had 3 Pfizer shots, still got it.  Said what the hell, got a 4th shot just to spite Eric Clampton.

11 hours ago, Pinch said:

Haven't been too active on here for a while. Long story short, I got COVID, beat COVID, but did lose the sense of smell and taste. Hopefully not for ever, but one day at a time. Beats losing your lungs. 

Oh, and trust me on this one - the vaccine works. No, it didn't stop me from contracting COVID, but it cut short the duration and certainly the severity. 

Send some prayers and good vibes my way though, because I'd like to get sense of taste and smell back. 

Otherwise, all good. 

Best wishes and I hope you continue to recover your faculties!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SteveFord said:

It takes a little bit to recover from it, hopefully you won't have any long lasting after effects.

Come on over and I'll make dinner, you'll be glad you can't smell or taste anything.  Trust me on this one!

I had 3 Pfizer shots, still got it.  Said what the hell, got a 4th shot just to spite Eric Clampton.

Same. When I get my fourth shot I'm thinking of getting a tattoo saying "here's where I got the shot to spite Clapton, because he looks too smug and his glasses are stupid".