Gibson Brands Forums

Brand new Gibson J-50

TomG76

I have joined the Gibson family.

With thanks to all of you (Jinder, Missouri Picker et al) who have given me brilliant advice on this forum, I pulled the trigger and got a brand new J-50. I went with the 50s reissue. Peach Guitars in Colchester did a superb set-up.

I am thrilled with the tone and feel and also with the colour - the top is already far more golden than it can look in photos.

I’ve recorded a YouTube video, just using my iPad. Neither that technology nor my (lack of) skill do justice to this instrument, but having yearned for one for years, I’m overjoyed. It’s exceeded expectations.

Edited by TomG76
  • Like 4

That ending was hilarious. . . loved the pause while the gears were turning in the wheelhouse.

While the sunburst J-45 is usually the one people first think of when talk gets to Gibson slope shoulder short scale guitars, eventually they come 'round to the appeal of it's natural-finished sibling. Have a great weekend breaking it in.

And here I was being amazed at your hitting those high notes- 'til I grabbed a guitar & heard the dropped tuning.  : 0.

• Haha 1

Glad to see you got the guitar you wanted.  Sounds like you have a winner.  There are lots of J50 lovers in this forum.   I like the folksy growl your guitar has.  Congrats on your new beast.  ....Be aware that the more you hang around this forum, the more likely you are to need another Gibson.....lol.....Enjoy!

• Haha 1

Thanks, everyone.

Yeah, tuning down has really opened things up for me. I may experiment with alternate tunings one day, but honestly I think dropping down a tone will prove to be the best tuning change I’ll ever make.

2 hours ago, 62burst said:

That ending was hilarious. . . loved the pause while the gears were turning in the wheelhouse.

While the sunburst J-45 is usually the one people first think of when talk gets to Gibson slope shoulder short scale guitars, eventually they come 'round to the appeal of it's natural-finished sibling. Have a great weekend breaking it in.

And here I was being amazed at your hitting those high notes- 'til I grabbed a guitar & heard the dropped tuning.  : 0.

That’s a little trick I learned from doing lots of stand-up comedy. It’s often worth taking a little pause to see what might come out of one’s mouth.

Tom,   that was great.  A classic song to kick off a classic guitar.  You'll find it sounds even better as you break it in over the next year of so !   And, you'll play better as you aspire to be 'worthy' of your guitar.   At least, I've found I'm still trying to live up to mine after approximately 10 years. I also tune down -  I found my comfort zone tuning down a full step to  DGCFAD .  If you're interested in Townes' songs - a couple of his other well worn and loved ones are  "If You Needed Me"   and  "Snowing on Raton".    You've certainly mastered his  best loved song !  

9 hours ago, Sacdubro said:

Congratulations Tom on your new 50s J-50 Original!   I just joined the J-50 club with my first Gibson as well.  I enjoyed your version of Pancho and Lefty well done.

4F77C07B-BEA6-4EF4-8ADB-B0D1E2836C33.jpeg

Thank you! Yours looks gorgeous too.

6 hours ago, Jinder said:

Great guitar and loved the Townes cover! Superb stuff. What a sweet, sweet J50 that is!

Thank you, Jinder. And thank you for turning me on to Glenn’s Guitars. I nearly went for that gorgeous translucent orange J-45. He also has a couple of very nice Martin HD28V models. I’m sure I will buy a guitar from him one day. Lovely, patient guy too. Did me a bunch of videos so I could see and hear the guitars.

18 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Congrats!   I am another one who is very biased towards the J50 and own one which was among the first batch made.

I would love to see a photo / clip of that, zombywolf.

16 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Tom,   that was great.  A classic song to kick off a classic guitar.  You'll find it sounds even better as you break it in over the next year of so !   And, you'll play better as you aspire to be 'worthy' of your guitar.   At least, I've found I'm still trying to live up to mine after approximately 10 years. I also tune down -  I found my comfort zone tuning down a full step to  DGCFAD .  If you're interested in Townes' songs - a couple of his other well worn and loved ones are  "If You Needed Me"   and  "Snowing on Raton".    You've certainly mastered his  best loved song !  

Wasn't TVZ great? I love his bit in Heartworn Highways.

There's a clip on YouTube of Kris Kristofferson talking about how TVZ didn't know how good he was and crying.

Thanks for the song tips too!

On 7/18/2020 at 6:37 AM, bayoubengal1954 said:

Y’all (you and the guitar) sounded great! 🤘🤪🤘

Thank you! Just out of shot is the logo on my baseball cap...which is for Cafe Du Monde! I was in New Orleans in December.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TomG76 said:

Thank you! Just out of shot is the logo on my baseball cap...which is for Cafe Du Monde! I was in New Orleans in December.

Cool! If I would have known you then I could have brought you up to play a couple of songs at one of my gigs. 👍 

Play on!