Gibson Brands Forums

NG J 150 Coming Soon

JuanCarlosVejar

I have a J-150 from what, the 90ies?  I don't have it out right now to check exact new purchase date.  If the N.G. matches such, it will be a great guitar.   But, if it has an artist's name on it, there goes the price I imagine.  And that would defeat the original idea of the J-150.   Love the unbound neck!

it looks lovely...  I love the Brown case too, but they have yet to figure out hot to get the case lid strap fold IN TO the case instead of hanging out side the lid when closed.

Even $100 gator cases have this solved, not a big deal but one that makes some of us go,, "Well?  Really?"

But I digress.......

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

it looks lovely...  I love the Brown case too, but they have yet to figure out hot to get the case lid strap fold IN TO the case instead of hanging out side the lid when closed.

Even $100 gator cases have this solved, not a big deal but one that makes some of us go,, "Well?  Really?"

But I digress.......

I noticed that too.  Cracks me up.  

In 2001, I bought a new J-150, and was quite pleased with it until I eventually realized it had a bit of a twist in the maple neck, impacting overall playability.  Tonally, it was very nicely balanced & recorded well.  Enjoy JC, it looks like it should be a good one!

14 hours ago, slimt said:

I wonder if Gibson is selling those stands? I would not mind a few of those. 

they do...  Gibson Store has two different ones.  not cheap..

Gibson | Handcrafted Wooden Guitar Stand, Mahogany

Gibson | Handcrafted Wooden Guitar Stand, Walnut

however..  all listed as out of stock

Edited by kidblast

My 2002 J-150 is by far my favourite Gibson in the stable, and also one of the very best super jumbo Gibbies Ive played.  It looks great also. I hope this will be a winner for Gibson, but Im also very very curious what the price point will be - in theory it should be a good chunk lower that an SJ-200 Standard ...lets see.

Although ... a few years ago he did switch from the J-150 to a D-28 that he seems to be playing mainly now.

Here is a really lovelly performance with him on the before mentioned J-150. 

Edited by EuroAussie

1 hour ago, EuroAussie said:

My 2002 J-150 is by far my favourite Gibson in the stable, and also one of the very best super jumbo Gibbies Ive played.  It looks great also. I hope this will be a winner for Gibson, but Im also very very curious what the price point will be - in theory it should be a good chunk lower that an SJ-200 Standard ...lets see.

Although ... a few years ago he did switch from the J-150 to a D-28 that he seems to be playing mainly now.

Here is a really lovelly performance with him on the before mentioned J-150. 

EA,
He did use a D 28 for a while when his new namesake band started ...I’m sure he wanted to get away from the J 150 sound associated with Oasis and give his band a chance to stand on its own sonic merits . But after a while he reverted back to his J 150 as the main instrument so much so that he even purchased a blonde J 150 :

The D 28 still makes an appearance in his live show but it’s not his main instrument.

JC

• Like 1

It's a handsome guitar and I'm sure it will sound superb, but what is the deal with these weird "orange peel" lacquer finishes that Gibson have been using on certain acoustics recently? 

I am all for gloss, satin or matt finishes, but I keep seeing the type of finish beading/pooling that usually indicates silicone ingress prior to spraying, which is very visible on the headstock of this guitar. Is this a vintage correct spec lacquer or just curious finishing practice?

2 hours ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

EA,
He did use a D 28 for a while when his new namesake band started ...I’m sure he wanted to get away from the J 150 sound associated with Oasis and give his band a chance to stand on its own sonic merits . But after a while he reverted back to his J 150 as the main instrument so much so that he even purchased a blonde J 150 :

The D 28 still makes an appearance in his live show but it’s not his main instrument.

JC

Oh, Im glad he went back to the J-150, it really sounded great, odd seeing him with a blonde though. 

Kelly Jones from Stereophonics is another big J-150 fan, and it really sounds great in his hands, here is a sample of it with a mike out the front.

And mine after I updated the pickgurard a few years ago, I love this guitar ... bought it for $1,400 some 10 years ago ... bargain !

Edited by EuroAussie

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 11:06 AM, Jinder said:

It's a handsome guitar and I'm sure it will sound superb, but what is the deal with these weird "orange peel" lacquer finishes that Gibson have been using on certain acoustics recently? 

I am all for gloss, satin or matt finishes, but I keep seeing the type of finish beading/pooling that usually indicates silicone ingress prior to spraying, which is very visible on the headstock of this guitar. Is this a vintage correct spec lacquer or just curious finishing practice?

My new SJ has that finish. I just attributed it to the baked top and thin finish. Some members here have buffed them out. 

• Like 1

I am one who buffed (hand only) my SJ with that finish, but only to obtain a gloss.  While it reduced the orange peel to some real extent, it did not remove it entirely.  It' now a much milder orange peel with a gloss!  At some angles and lightings, or next to another guitar, I still can pick up on it.  Again, I didn't do any heavy buffing.  I just removed the haze and made it shine.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 8:59 AM, JuanCarlosVejar said:

EA,

JC

Nice that he comes out and insults the city he is playing in.

Sig model . . . I'm gonna guess $4549. That is my final offer.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

14 hours ago, Dave F said:

My new SJ has that finish. I just attributed it to the baked top and thin finish. Some members here have buffed them out. 

Ah I didn’t consider it being due to the torrefication. I would imagine it brings out waxes/oils from the wood which make it harder to finish. I don’t have a major issue with it, I’m just curious about it as I’ve seen it a lot over the last year or so.