Gibson Brands Forums

New Tom Petty SJ-200

jchabalk

Never seen him with one. There is a single poor pic on the net.

It's a kool and beautiful Jumbo ^ he would have been proud. 

1 hour ago, Frances50 said:

I thought seriously about buying one but the price was just too hefty for a guitar that I did not immediately fall in love with. 

Understood. 👍

36 minutes ago, jdgm said:

A ladies' swimsuit?

Merging with some abstract shark-factor, , ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

Yeah, that guard certainly is one of a kind. Oh wait....

image.jpg

Johnny is dressed real smoooooth. That pickguard is somthing.

The PT SJ-200 at one dollar less than 10k, who is their target audience (collectors and rich people who will show em of to their cronies) and thank you for not making it for the average man who wants one.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Johnny is dressed real smoooooth. That pickguard is somthing.

The PT SJ-200 at one dollar less than 10k, who is their target audience (collectors and rich people who will show em of to their cronies) and thank you for not making it for the average man who wants one.

But.....it has 2 pick-guards, so of course they double the price!

13 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

But.....it has 2 pick-guards, so of course they double the price!

So $30 worth of ugly plastic, and $9970 worth of guitar.  I hate it when any company does that even Martin. If you want something that expensive, and I know the 40 series Martin's ain't cheap, just make people special order one instead of making it so unobtainable that only a few privileged uber rich can afford. The Martin David Gilmour D-35's are stupid overpriced. You can get a D-42 for that price and maybe find a used D-45.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 minutes ago, 75 Hummingbird said:

What a sad tribute guitar for an incredibly  accomplished singer,  song writer , band leader ,pioneer .

Imo... Gibson research and development need to pull their heads out of the clouds....or other places , and get real .

That`s not a tribute to Mr .Petty.

The original SJ-200 Wildflower was a one-off that was built for Tom during the Wildflowers era in the 1990s. Now Gibson is proud to release the Tom Petty SJ-200 Wildflower, which was inspired by Tom's original.

JC

• Like 1

Very 'art deco'.    but  I'd never pay the uPcharge.   I'd guess Gibson knows few people  would.  This is just a marketing deal -  there's always going to be a few folks who will pay for something like this.   That said - I bet that advertising signature models like this has a positive push/pull effect on the sales of standard SJ200s.   

Edited by fortyearspickn

31 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Very 'art deco'.    but  I'd never pay the uncharge.   I'd guess Gibson knows few people  would.  This is just a marketing deal -  there's always going to be a few folks who will pay for something like this.   That said - I bet that advertising signature models like this has a positive push/pull effect on the sales of standard SJ200s.   

I think Signature Models and Standard Models are 2 different things .

I see a lot of people complaining about the prices of Gibsons and they fail to understand that they are making well priced models as well (just not signature stuff) . I played one of the Slash J 45’s at the 2020 NAMM and it was incredible ... It’s obvious to me that signature models do have value if you have an open mind . If you are a close minded person who doesn’t like having other people’s name on your guitar you have the standard series and even some guitars like the G series or the walnut b/s models  .

The Slash J 45 sounds like a piano with that thick 58 Les Paul style neck .You don’t have to love any artist to be into their signature model . The reverse is true as well ... You might really love an artist Gibson partners with and end up not getting along with their signature model.

People ripped Slash cause they said doing an acoustic was just him slapping his name on some Gibson product ... and i couldn’t disagree more ... It’s a well thought out guitar and it offers something unique in the line that isn’t available on other models. Slash owns a collection of fine acoustics and I’m sure playing great acoustics allowed him to put out a great J 45 with Gibson.

I comment on the Slash model as an example of a signature because I cannot comment on the Tom Petty model (since namm 2021 was cancelled)

I’m going to try and get the NG J 150 myself as closure for a friendship that went sour. 

Basically I dig signature models even the ones by artists I’m not into .

Would love to try the red Orianthi model too !!

JC

12 hours ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

The original SJ-200 Wildflower was a one-off that was built for Tom during the Wildflowers era in the 1990s. Now Gibson is proud to release the Tom Petty SJ-200 Wildflower, which was inspired by Tom's original.

JC

The Wildflowers LP was released in 1994.  According to Gibson, this take on the J200 guitar was inspired by one they built for Petty around 1996.   So if Petty did use a J200 in the recording of that LP this was obviously not it.  Whether Petty actually ordered it or Gibson just went ahead and built a guitar they presented to him is unclear. 

JcV,   I don't disagree.  I think there are a few factors that go into whether someone would pay more: how much 'disposable income' you have; how much more you're willing to pay for getting closer to 'the hole grail' in terms of tone and looks, and; whether you plan on playing it or just 'collecting' it.   There's a thread in The Lounge that touches on this question - "thoughts on value, utility and high-end guitars'.       I'm perfectly happy with my SJ200. It was made just before Gibson got the idea to create "True Vintage" models when Bozeman was putting 100% of their effort into making the 'standard' models as good as they could.    I don't think Gibson charges too much for any of their acoustics - from low end to high end.  My only point was that producing  a few really nice 'high end' guitars (appropriately priced to underscore the fact they are head and shoulders above the standards),  that the unwashed masses, like myself, are more inclined to  get a Gibson SJ200 than an Epiphone version.  Or a Martin.  

My take is that the difference between a signature and standard production Gibson is mostly about aesthetics.  No argument that Gibson may use say a highly flamed or quilted maple on a signature guitar.   They can be stunners when it comes to looks.  But a signature guitar will still be a standard production instrument in terms of wood thickness, bracing carve and angle and such.  

What makes, as example, the Slash guitar a standout for me is the thicker neck carve.   And where I would agree with JcV is that this added neck mass should nuance the sound that comes out of them.

Edited by zombywoof