Gibson Brands Forums

Iris Guitars Gibson style reissues

pcf

One of our members here snagged Iris Roy Smeck #1.  I gather he custom ordered the guitar resulting in the model going into regular production.   He has shared some clips of him playing it with me so hopefully he will chime in.  

And I like the headstock.  

I am a fan of plain, unadorned guitars, and so, while the unpainted bodies look nice enough, the head-stock logo type appears to be another unfortunate example of "Nephew Art", which cheapens the overall appearance of the instruments. However, a suitably sized and shaped piece of black adhesive vinyl would solve the problem.

The hand-painted bodies look like summer camp hootenanny guitars and to me are especially unappealing.

RBSinTo

These are relatively minor quibbles of course, but I typically prefer headstocks that are wider at the top, and have a distinctive shape.  Gibson, Guild (not Gruhn’s snakeheads), Gallagher, and some Epiphone, Breedlove, & Ibanez shapes are to my liking, in particular the Guild Chesterfield & Gibson flowerpot.  Martin’s shape is terribly boring, but it does widen towards the top & the script logo is nice.

The Iris headstock doesn’t work well for me on any level, but it certainly is not the worst.  To brush up against the other end of the spectrum, the Seagull headstock would be patently representative of how not to do it!

On 4/8/2021 at 7:27 AM, zombywoof said:

One of our members here snagged Iris Roy Smeck #1.  I gather he custom ordered the guitar resulting in the model going into regular production.   He has shared some clips of him playing it with me so hopefully he will chime in.  

And I like the headstock.  

• 4 weeks later...

I like the headstock a lot.  I do think it would look better without the hash marks between tuner posts.  Honestly, the matte finish kills it for me more than anything.  Especially bursts look so much better glossed.

reports are that the tone of these guitars are at least on par with the Gibson Historics.

Edited by Tim Tim

I'd not heard of them before a few weeks ago. I read they were in Burlington, Vermont, so I had to investigate a bit. 😎

A You Tube search on Iris vs Gibson will return a few right at the top. This videos are anything but definitive, of course, but several can reveal possible trends. Using decent headphones and a DAC, I could easily hear a deeper or lower end of the Iris, but not a bad muddy thing. Just different. The Gibson's Low Mids is something I really dig, though. Just my taste. They are quite different within the rhelm of being sloped dreads.

Here are two examples. Remember, these are not to be taken seriously as definitive.

39 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

I'd not heard of them before a few weeks ago. I read they were in Burlington, Vermont, so I had to investigate a bit. 😎

A You Tube search on Iris vs Gibson will return a few right at the top. This videos are anything but definitive, of course, but several can reveal possible trends. Using decent headphones and a DAC, I could easily hear a deeper or lower end of the Iris, but not a bad muddy thing. Just different. The Gibson's Low Mids is something I really dig, though. Just my taste. They are quite different within the rhelm of being sloped dreads.

Here are two examples. Remember, these are not to be taken seriously as definitive.

It’s deceptive because the iris has a wider lower bout and deeper body than the J.

Tangentailly related to another thread:   One of their options is  $FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS add on to RELIC your new guitar  !                                

Wonder if anyone will relic one of those hand painted honeys? 

I seriously considered ordering one.  Priced out A DF with ivoroid  fretboard binding, 1 3/4 nut. In the end it was the $500 upcharge for a slothead that made the price not work. That was the only way to make that headstock go away and it made the very attractive price go away too.

• Haha 1