Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone want to guess a price on the new Noel Gallagher J-150?

meanstreak

RJ80, perhaps sharing a bit of my very recent experience will put you a little more at ease with a few of the issues as much as reading your post did for me.

17 hours ago, RJ80 said:

It also had a Humidipak (unopened) in the case and the shoulders of the guitar were dusty, like it had been sitting out of its case for a while

I was recently very disgusted with a recent shipment direct from Gibson Montana for most of the same reasons. The dusty thing still baffles me, though newly lacquered guitars straight from the case do get oddly dusty after a small bit of time. I never thought from the case. I think it's a static thing with how it's applied. I thought it was a used guitar. The case candy looked incomplete, though I do not recall what is "missing", if anything. The little checklist card was pure fiction. My seal was not broken, but much of what you say about yous happened with mine.

I'd be willing to bet that someone in between and including Gibson and GC, or between GC and you did pilfer, Things do happen.

17 hours ago, RJ80 said:

I contacted Orchid here, who has been helpful in elevating the matter, but nearly a week later, I still have no acceptable solution. Another call to GC customer service says they'll check with the warehouse and call back. Still waiting.

The only ones who are going to be able to help you is Gibson CS. That assumes that your acceptable solution is even possible. If Gibson CS can get something done, great. If not, then you're in that scenario 62Burst described above. If the NG swag does little for you and it's a small part of the bigger picture, then you are in a different position. The keep it or send it back being a question of quality rather than the added bits of NG swag, collectors item.

Good luck with whatever way you go.

• Like 1

Guys, thanks for all the helpful comments. It's a frustrating situation, to be sure. To think you can spend nearly five grand on a brand-new guitar (I've bought cheaper automobiles!) and experience such a shockingly low level of quality control and customer service is really disheartening. 

Thanks to Jalex for the Reverb link to another incomplete guitar with an included Humidipak, though that one does have its sound hole label, which is far more important. I imagine NG only signed so many, but hopefully a few extras for cases like mine. I'm going to ask the seller if he bought his guitar from GC. It's strangely comforting to know I'm not the only one with similar issues. Thanks to BoSoxBiker too for the insight. 

I've filed a claim with Gibson a few days ago as well. Hopefully they'll reach out to me eventually, though they have not yet. I do want to thank Orchid again, he's been nothing but helpful even after bearing the brunt of some of my frustration.

In the end, it boils down to whether Gibson and/or GC is able to deliver me the guitar I actually paid for before my 45-day return window closes. If not, there's no option but to return it. 

• Like 1

Quick update, I just spoke with someone at Gibson customer service directly who was very helpful. I also spoke with the Reverb seller. 

Gibson rep says after 20+ years at Gibson, he's seen it all. He says a guitar going out without a sound hole label is rare, but it happens. He thinks Gibson probably ran out of the NG specific materials towards the end of the run and just started shipping guitars without them so they aren't piling up in the warehouse. This is also likely the cause of the shipping delays Orchid mentioned earlier.

He said Guitar Center should have made me aware that these items weren't included, but would be sent to me ASAP when they come available. Anyway, he tells me that he'll make sure I receive all three items I'm missing and he verified the serial number of my guitar for the label. He's the first person who's said that with any real confidence, so I'm hopeful. 

Meanwhile, the Reverb seller with the missing items said his guitar came from Sweetwater and his rep there DID alert him to the missing items and that they would arrive in 7-10 days. He's been waiting 7 days, currently. But his guitar does have the all-important sound hole label already.

This makes me feel that GC is either clueless or simply dropped the ball on letting me know about the missing bits. I was implored not to return my guitar as I'll likely never find a replacement at MSRP, which I believe to be true. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RJ80 said:

Quick update, I just spoke with someone at Gibson customer service directly who was very helpful. I also spoke with the Reverb seller. 

Gibson rep says after 20+ years at Gibson, he's seen it all. He says a guitar going out without a sound hole label is rare, but it happens. He thinks Gibson probably ran out of the NG specific materials towards the end of the run and just started shipping guitars without them so they aren't piling up in the warehouse. This is also likely the cause of the shipping delays Orchid mentioned earlier.

He said Guitar Center should have made me aware that these items weren't included, but would be sent to me ASAP when they come available. Anyway, he tells me that he'll make sure I receive all three items I'm missing and he verified the serial number of my guitar for the label. He's the first person who's said that with any real confidence, so I'm hopeful. 

Meanwhile, the Reverb seller with the missing items said his guitar came from Sweetwater and his rep there DID alert him to the missing items and that they would arrive in 7-10 days. He's been waiting 7 days, currently. But his guitar does have the all-important sound hole label already.

This makes me feel that GC is either clueless or simply dropped the ball on letting me know about the missing bits. I was implored not to return my guitar as I'll likely never find a replacement at MSRP, which I believe to be true. 

This is positive news!  I was cc'd on an email from Gibson to GC CS that your "case candy" as they called it would ship from Gibson to the GC facility where your guitar shipped from, then be sent to you. We really just need the sound hole sticker sorted out. But if Gibson is aware and seems to be working to resolve it, that really is ideal. 

I don't disagree about the GC experience you have gotten or how you feel as a result.  I plan on sharing this thread link with many people once all the dust settles and everyone is squared away.  Though I technically work for Music & Arts, our enterprise can learn a lot from your experiences. We can do better. 

I'll also DM you with a little more info, shortly.  So glad Gibson got back with you.

Thanks!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Orchid121480 said:

This is positive news!  I was cc'd on an email from Gibson to GC CS that your "case candy" as they called it would ship from Gibson to the GC facility where your guitar shipped from, then be sent to you. We really just need the sound hole sticker sorted out. But if Gibson is aware and seems to be working to resolve it, that really is ideal. 

I don't disagree about the GC experience you have gotten or how you feel as a result.  I plan on sharing this thread link with many people once all the dust settles and everyone is squared away.  Though I technically work for Music & Arts, our enterprise can learn a lot from your experiences. We can do better. 

I'll also DM you with a little more info, shortly.  So glad Gibson got back with you.

Thanks!

Thank you very much, you've been very helpful throughout and have gone above and beyond. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious how everyone is getting along with their new J-150s?  I’m in love with mine, it felt a little cramped on the lower frets at first but have adjusted, love the sound.  I have Martin PB lights on there and like the combo now that it’s broken in a little bit.  I’ve found it bro be a pretty good finger picker as well as an excellent strummer.  

My OG saddle broke and Gibson sent me what seems to be an enormous blank to have it fitted but have been getting on just fine right now with the compensated saddle I used when the original broke.  

happy playing

• Like 1

5 hours ago, golfski said:

Just curious how everyone is getting along with their new J-150s?  I’m in love with mine, it felt a little cramped on the lower frets at first but have adjusted, love the sound.  I have Martin PB lights on there and like the combo now that it’s broken in a little bit.  I’ve found it bro be a pretty good finger picker as well as an excellent strummer.  

My OG saddle broke and Gibson sent me what seems to be an enormous blank to have it fitted but have been getting on just fine right now with the compensated saddle I used when the original broke.  

happy playing

Curious on your saddle. Did yours come with the uncompensated bone saddle or the tusq compensated saddle. If bone, or if you care to switch, a guy named Bob Colosi is one many of us use for saddles. The ordering is clunky, but well worth it in service, knowledge and most of all, product quality.   Basically, it's as easy as letting him know what you have. In return, you'll get a slightly oversized saddle that you sand down to fit. He even puts a little instruction sheet in with it.  You will more than likely not have to sand the top.    http://www.guitarsaddles.com/ 

On 8/3/2021 at 10:09 PM, golfski said:

In all my 25 years of playing I've never had a saddle break. Manufacturing defect? I don't understand how that can happen, did it break while playing the guitar?

Looks like my missing items will finally be on the way soon, looking forward to finally having a complete guitar. 

1 hour ago, RJ80 said:

In all my 25 years of playing I've never had a saddle break. Manufacturing defect? I don't understand how that can happen, did it break while playing the guitar?

Bone is not as uniform as Tusq™- and is not as likely to give a decent EQ across the strings as Tusq, which is why Tusq is normally on Gibsons equipped with pickup systems.  But with bone, things can happen. Have you laid a straight edge across the fretboard (top of the frets)  yet to see where it contacts the bridge? Most likely, it's at, or even slightly above,  the top of the bridge. That's usually a preferred thing, as a slightly overset neck not only bodes well for delaying the  time before a neck reset is needed, but also allows for a slightly greater than normal string break, and all of the attributes normally associated with that.

On 8/4/2021 at 6:44 AM, BoSoxBiker said:

Bob Colosi

Right. The broken saddle could also be sent to Bob, and an exact replica could be made. 

It would still be a good idea to get an idea of that neck angle, though. Maybe some string height measurements ( and preferred ones), as well.

Edited by 62burst

On 8/4/2021 at 12:09 AM, golfski said:

happy playing

My NGJ150 is amazing!  Plays and sounds beautiful.  The only complaint I would have about it is that the back has very little "flame" compared to the example pics on the Gibson website.  The shoulders have a bit more than the example pics though.  Obviously wood is different and as long as it sounds great I'm not bothered with that.

Side question - anyone know what strings come from the factory?  Is it the bronze or the phospher bronze?

On 8/6/2021 at 9:28 AM, meanstreak said:

My NGJ150 is amazing!  Plays and sounds beautiful.  The only complaint I would have about it is that the back has very little "flame" compared to the example pics on the Gibson website.  The shoulders have a bit more than the example pics though.  Obviously wood is different and as long as it sounds great I'm not bothered with that.

Side question - anyone know what strings come from the factory?  Is it the bronze or the phospher bronze?

I'll ask our folks to find out.  Might be next week before I get a response, FYI.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 9:28 AM, meanstreak said:

These are the strings put on all the NG J-150s...

https://www.gibson.com/Gear/Acoustic-Strings/SAG-CPB

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 7:28 AM, meanstreak said:

That was the whole point of The J 150 to use up the sets of maple that had little to no figure in them .

I think Noel says in the video that his had almost no flame .

JC

Edited by JuanCarlosVejar
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 9:19 AM, RJ80 said:

Looks like my missing items will finally be on the way soon, looking forward to finally having a complete guitar. 

I think it broke when changing the strings.  The saddle was pretty tall and I was having trouble with the low E and A string bridge pins, when putting new strings on, the pins were slipping out when I began to tighten the string down.  The only thing that worked was to hold the pin down while bringing it closer to tune, and I’m guessing height of the saddle and that extra force down did it?  The saddle had a little forward lean to it, which maybe contributed?

After I finished and played a little was re-tuning and it was having trouble holding it and noticed it was cracked, so I’m not sure where in that process it broke.  

I had a compensated saddle put in by local GC but have since received a new blank to be fitted from Gibson.  I have been a little worried, the GC tech put a good amount of relief in the neck (to offset smaller saddle height?) which I thought was too much so I flattened it out a bit after about a month.  I wasn’t sure such a new guitar should have that much relief yet?  It’s got some fret buzz now so I’m looking forward to getting that new saddle in there.

Edited by golfski

Just a note that Gibson shipped my missing items to GC, which overnighted them to me. My guitar is finally complete, big thanks to Orchid for stepping in to help. Not sure what would have happened without him. 

Enjoy your NG J-150s, everyone. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RJ80 said:

Just a note that Gibson shipped my missing items to GC, which overnighted them to me. My guitar is finally complete, big thanks to Orchid for stepping in to help. Not sure what would have happened without him. 

Enjoy your NG J-150s, everyone. 

Love to see it, thanks for the update! enjoy every bit of it!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Orchid121480 said:

Hey folks! 

Anyone else who ordered with GC still waiting for their guitar to ship?  I think the last of them should have left the dock this week.

Thanks! And it's great to see y'all's pics with these guitars!!!  Here's mine...

IMG_7377~2.jpg

Congrats I'm glad folks are finally getting these. Well worth the wait though. Sounds amazing right out the box.