Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone want to guess a price on the new Noel Gallagher J-150?

meanstreak

Been tracking this 🙂.  Based on comments in the thread on Youtube, someone said they pre-ordered in UK at £3799

"Well just spoken to a reputable guitar shop today and they have 3 coming just preordered and payed deposit 😎 £3799 is the UK price It's a lot of money but I gotta have this gem for me collection. I can not wait for the call to say its in shop."

Edited by golfski
currency
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, golfski said:

Been tracking this 🙂.  Based on comments in the thread on Youtube, someone said they pre-ordered in UK at £3799

"Well just spoken to a reputable guitar shop today and they have 3 coming just preordered and payed deposit 😎 £3799 is the UK price It's a lot of money but I gotta have this gem for me collection. I can not wait for the call to say its in shop."

Ya I figured it would be around $5K here in the USA.  We will soon see!

40 minutes ago, golfski said:

I actually got a ping from my sales guy at GC that he was able to secure one of these for me.  US price is $4299 and is due out 6/21/21.  

I could have swore this came up in another thread and I think I guessed $4249 or $4649. Looks like if I guessed $4249 I was damn close.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brucebubs said:

Easy, it's an SJ-200 with 50 good things missing.

Curious what these differences are?  I understand the no-binding but outside that it seems to be the same - flamed maple, vintage tuners, etc.  Seems very different from the J-200 studio that are stripped down.  

I ask because I just got a newer SJ-200 (see other thread I started) and have an option to buy one of these NG J-150's and going to be presented with this decision.  I got a discount on the SJ-200 since it was a NOS with some issues, so the SJ-200 is actually cheaper than the J-150 for me.

Edited by golfski

31 minutes ago, golfski said:

Curious what these differences are?  I understand the no-binding but outside that it seems to be the same - flamed maple, vintage tuners, etc.  Seems very different from the J-200 studio that are stripped down.  

I ask because I just got a newer SJ-200 (see other thread I started) and have an option to buy one of these NG J-150's and going to be presented with this decision.  I got a discount on the SJ-200 since it was a NOS with some issues, so the SJ-200 is actually cheaper than the J-150 for me.

To be honest. Your SJ200 with minor issues is just a better guitar.    The J150 NG  is a overpriced No frills guitar.   

the guy is a guitar player from a band . not sure what makes it better than a standard model with the additional $$$ attached  . 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, slimt said:

To be honest. Your SJ200 with minor issues is just a better guitar.    The J150 NG  is a overpriced No frills guitar.   

the guy is a guitar player from a band . not sure what makes it better than a standard model with the additional $$$ attached  . 

I don't know how you can make that blanket statement without seeing the specs on the NG?  It's well known the J150 is a dressed down J200.  Some folks don't need/want the neck/headstock binding.  Additionally, we do not know if the NG has a torrified top (like the Love Dove) or not. 

5 minutes ago, thegreatgumbino said:

I don't know how you can make that blanket statement without seeing the specs on the NG?  It's well known the J150 is a dressed down J200.  Some folks don't need/want the neck/headstock binding.  Additionally, we do not know if the NG has a torrified top (like the Love Dove) or not. 

I could be wrong but by the looks of the finish it looks to  have a “terrified” top.

If it does that might make me lose some interest in acquiring one.

JC

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, slimt said:

His real one has Adidas sticker on it. And if it comes with it that has got to be worth at least an extra $500. Yeah artist models are silly unless you are an uber fan or like the actual specs. The reason years ago I got my BB King was not because of BB, who I do listen to and have seen live, but do to it had a Varitone switch, no F-holes, a stereo option, an ebony fretboard and a control cover, which it had to have due to no F-holes. After owning it, it was one of the best electric guitars I ever owned , but the stereo thing I did a few times and rarely used the Varitone. I traded it for my 000-28 with no regrets.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

I could be wrong but by the looks of the finish it looks to  have a “terrified” top.

If it does that might make me lose some interest in acquiring one.

JC

I tend to agree with you.  I’m not completely sold on torrefication, yet ( and I have a J45 Vintage).

18 minutes ago, thegreatgumbino said:

I tend to agree with you.  I’m not completely sold on torrefication, yet ( and I have a J45 Vintage).

I had a Martin with the aged top and I have a Gibson with an aged top. Given a choice I would go with the Thermally Aged top. It definitely gives the guitar a broke-in sound, The sound  of the Thermally Aged SJ I have reminds me of a 50's guitar, not something from the 40's but that's all right. The Custom D41 Thermally Aged I had sounded like something from the 60's. I'm not sure what they were going for on it but I liked it too.

37 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I had a Martin with the aged top and I have a Gibson with an aged top. Given a choice I would go with the Thermally Aged top. It definitely gives the guitar a broke-in sound, The sound  of the Thermally Aged SJ I have reminds me of a 50's guitar, not something from the 40's but that's all right. The Custom D41 Thermally Aged I had sounded like something from the 60's. I'm not sure what they were going for on it but I liked it too.

I agree.   Did the Legend J45 and L00 have that?   

7 hours ago, slimt said:

Better, equal or worse... people like "exclusive" and "limited" things. Martin, Fender, Gibson... they all know this and are simply giving people what they want.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Sevendaymelee said:

Better, equal or worse... people like "exclusive" and "limited" things. Martin, Fender, Gibson... they all know this and are simply giving people what they want.

Collectors and people who want and can afford them like them, but I think its the guitar maker likes them much more cause they make money off them.

Going to try this again 🙂 as I am looking for specifics if someone has them.  What are the exact differences you would expect from the current production SJ-200 Standard and this NG J-150.  It was noted above that the J-150 is the same minus 50 good things, but besides headstock and neck binding, what else is its missing?  

47 minutes ago, golfski said:

Going to try this again 🙂 as I am looking for specifics if someone has them.  What are the exact differences you would expect from the current production SJ-200 Standard and this NG J-150.  It was noted above that the J-150 is the same minus 50 good things, but besides headstock and neck binding, what else is its missing?  

On the Noel I see no neck binding, and the bridge has 2 sections of abalone where the SJ-200 has 4 (2 in front of and 2 behind the pins, the Noel only has them after the pins). Not sure if both are the same size and what the bracing on either are. The SJ-200 has the TRC routed to show more of the white layer. The headstock is bound on the SJ and not on the Noel. The pickguard on the SJ has orange on the end of the stems of I guess they are supposed to be flowers, and on the Noel look white.  Both bodies are bound and both appear to have B/W/B/W/B in the binding. I guess when Gibson releases the specs you will know. I'd say with the money you saved off your new one you should fidelity get one. Then you can play Champagne Supernova.

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

On the Noel I see no neck binding, and the bridge has 2 sections of abalone where the SJ-200 has 4 (2 in front of and 2 behind the pins, the Noel only has them after the pins). Not sure if both are the same size and what the bracing on either are. The SJ-200 has the TRC routed to show more of the white layer. The headstock is bound on the SJ and not on the Noel. The pickguard on the SJ has orange on the end of the stems of I guess they are supposed to be flowers, and on the Noel look white.  Both bodies are bound and both appear to have B/W/B/W/B in the binding. I guess when Gibson releases the specs you will know. I'd say with the money you saved off your new one you should fidelity get one. Then you can play Champagne Supernova.

lol, but Champagne Supernova already sounds so good on my SJ-200!  Thanks for the details, I am leaning more and more towards skipping this and just keeping my SJ-200.  On the bridge, I think the 4 inlays vs. 2 is also a difference of the SJ-200 Standard vs. Original - on my Standard I have two of them like the NG J-150, while I think the original series has the 4.  

• Like 1

Noel's story is that his is just an off-the-rack J-150 from the 00s bought on a whim in London- i don't think there will be anything structurally different as he doesn't mess with his guitars. just the signed label, the adidas sticker, and the exclusivity 

Edited by cunningham26
  • Like 1