Gibson Brands Forums

It is finished!! '73~'74 Fender Jaguar Restoration

kidblast

Hey all,

Like to share my results with the restoration project I started on February 6th of this year.

This is how it arrived. 

It was found by a neighbor of mine, leaning up against a Picker's barn in the snow in New Hampshire, in the winter.. DOH!

273012369_10217716682628337_813692082442

The finished product. 

279641598_10218047600821085_537064218218

I did the base coat myself, but I worked with an Auto Body shop for the clear coat.  They did all the final wet sand and buffing too   Very nice work there.  I hired out the reinstall of the electronics,  when my attempt to do that wasn't working out.   Just beyond me to figure out all the grounds needed.   It plays great, and sounds great too.   I am considering adding some string trees to the head stock.  

The neck is a fender replacement.  The original neck unfortunately, due to the neglect of leaving it outside in the winter,  is in dire need of restoration.    Which I'm not sure I'm going to do at this point.  (KSDaddy, you can PM me if you want to continue that discussion)

I think she's a keeper

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fender Jags are Sweeet!!! That one looks awesome! Well done! idea what year it is?

I own a Candy Apple Red AV65 Jag & it is totally different from all Guitars & I love the noise it makes.. 

Enjoy yours!

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Hell yeah looks killer, now start jammin - Walk, Don’t Run.

thx Sarge!!  It kind of came out better than I thought

4 hours ago, Karloff said:

sweet !

hey, its not a tele but.......  kind makes sounds close to that!! LOL!

3 hours ago, nhwildbill said:

That's one hell of a transformation brother, very cool!

Congrats on your "new" Jag! 🤘

I know!  from a barn in a new hampshire snowbank no less, right?

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Nice work! That is looking really good. 

I replaced my one with Tusq string tree. They dont look remotely original of course.

I just ordered some fender ones,  figured why not..

23 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Fender Jags are Sweeet!!! That one looks awesome! Well done! idea what year it is?

I own a Candy Apple Red AV65 Jag & it is totally different from all Guitars & I love the noise it makes.. 

Enjoy yours!

the serial number rolls back to either 73 or 74.  

10 minutes ago, BigKahune said:

Welp . . .

Quite the looker!

Turned out great. 😎

Thanks!!  Never had a jag before  never even occurred to me, thill this little broken thing showed up at my door.

figured, Why not???

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 5:34 AM, kidblast said:

Hey all,

Like to share my results with the restoration project I started on February 6th of this year.

This is how it arrived. 

It was found by a neighbor of mine, leaning up against a Picker's barn in the snow in New Hampshire, in the winter.. DOH!

The finished product. 

I did the base coat myself, but I worked with an Auto Body shop for the clear coat.  They did all the final wet sand and buffing too   Very nice work there.  I hired out the reinstall of the electronics,  when my attempt to do that wasn't working out.   Just beyond me to figure out all the grounds needed.   It plays great, and sounds great too.   I am considering adding some string trees to the head stock.  

The neck is a fender replacement.  The original neck unfortunately, due to the neglect of leaving it outside in the winter,  is in dire need of restoration.    Which I'm not sure I'm going to do at this point.  (KSDaddy, you can PM me if you want to continue that discussion)

I think she's a keeper

Great Job!!!!! And if you can get that other neck fixed I would do it. I really like the binding and the fret markers, it will really give it the mid 60's vibe...... Again nice job. 

26 minutes ago, duane v said:

Great Job!!!!! And if you can get that other neck fixed I would do it. I really like the binding and the fret markers, it will really give it the mid 60's vibe...... Again nice job. 

I know Duane!  Such  a shame that it was neglected like that,.. I was quoted at least $1k to restore it.

3 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I know Duane!  Such  a shame that it was neglected like that,.. I was quoted at least $1k to restore it.

That's ridiculous.... Even if the neck was warped it shouldn't cost no more than $300 tops. I have a guy hear locally that would fix that for $250. He fixed a snapped head stock and repainted for $225 and you barely see the repair 

On 5/4/2022 at 5:34 AM, kidblast said:

Hey all,

This is how it arrived. 

The finished product. 

I think she's a keeper

I don't lust after too many things....but......

I do wonder when Fender stopped putting on the rocker with a foam pad to dampen the strings.....mine was a 1964 and it had one.... not very practical, especially when the same thing can be done with the heel of your right palm....and the rubber deteriorates over time....(but I still like it).

Good on you, Kid!

32 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I don't lust after too many things....but......

I do wonder when Fender stopped putting on the rocker with a foam pad to dampen the strings.....mine was a 1964 and it had one.... not very practical, especially when the same thing can be done with the heel of your right palm....and the rubber deteriorates over time....(but I still like it).

Good on you, Kid!

The common theory was it just messed with the tuning, and everyone removed them

31 minutes ago, rct said:

Nice!

rct

[thumbup]

2 hours ago, duane v said:

That's ridiculous.... Even if the neck was warped it shouldn't cost no more than $300 tops. I have a guy hear locally that would fix that for $250. He fixed a snapped head stock and repainted for $225 and you barely see the repair 

The person I spoke with was out of new york and restorations was what he did.  so it maybe that he was reaching there for sure.  But it does need a lot of work.

the fretboard is split, and all the finish has weathered off,  some of the inlays are ready to fall out and some of the binding has released.

it's a mess.

On 5/5/2022 at 5:14 PM, Tman said:

Damn nice Kid! Superb looking! Have fun playing it!

Thanks Tman!

I am surprised with how good it plays.  Low action, no fret buzz,  stays in tune pretty good too even with the trem use

On 5/6/2022 at 12:18 AM, jaxson50 said:

That's a beauty,  Well Done!

Thx Jason,  she's a keeper.

• Like 1