Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - circa 1970 ES-175

ksdaddy

Just bought it. The serial number is in the 900,000 range which is broad. It does say Made in USA but has no volute. It's iced tea. It does not have the skinny neck. It has the orange oval label. I have not looked at the pot codes yet but everything is leading me to 1970 at this point.

I bought it to flip but I will spend some time with it. Maybe my Super Eagle will leave instead.

9IcUziV.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

Single pickup is a bit unusual, yes?

Looks very nice indeed...you'll want a wound 3rd on that mate [laugh]

Didn't you also have a thinline ES175 once?

[thumbup]

By the mid 50s the single model was definitely in the minority. Kinda rare later on. 

I did have a 175T, a 1976 or 77. I've also had a 1978 regular depth, a '96 ES-165, and a 1955 ES-295, in addition to 120s, 125s, etc. Lots of ES's over the years for sure. None of them stuck around, but maybe someday one will connect with me. 

Hi KS,

Nice score! I think you are correct with 1970, likely early in the year since it still has the orange label and no volute. I have a '69 ES-335 with the same burst finish and knobs. Serial numbers are all over the place in those years. My S/N could have been '66 or '69 so I've done a lot of research of this era. I had to pull a pot to be sure and it dated to late 1968. If your S/N is 90XXXX it is likely 1970. In 1968 they used 91XXXX and up. Other telltale signs are the "Made in USA" and the headstock logo. My '69 does not have the "Made in USA" and the "i" in Gibson is not dotted and the "o" is open at the top. I used to have a '66 that had the same headstock font. Later in 1970 the volute and purple/white sticker showed up.