Gibson Brands Forums

What’s your plectrum of choice?

Hype

Mostly these. V Pick Psycho

Psycho.jpg

I am starting to use these more now. Chicken Picks Bermuda III. much smaller than the Psycho but a better material. 

chicken-picks-bermuda-iii-p-2-7-mm-point

Since I've not played out since covid, I'm just using my fingers mostly now.

I sometimes use a smaller pick for jazz voiced guitars, including a stone pick. On anything else, stone 'chirps', and that is annoying. 

I use Dunlop Jazz Carbon Fibre picks, the reason that I started using them (electric only) was because of the finger grip's as I don't drop them.  All my friends can't understand how I can use them, they hate them.

Dunlop 471R3C Max Grip Jazz Iii Carbon Fibre Guitar Picks - Pack Of 6 : AmazonSmile: Musical Instruments & DJ

22 hours ago, Hype said:

Shape of the pick looks good and practical..

I like the "jazz" shape,  (which I think is what these are called).  there's a smaller size too, but those are TOO small for me.

These work just about right.  I used to use the Fenders, but they are too slick and move around a bit too much. 

On 9/19/2022 at 6:53 AM, merciful-evans said:

Mostly these. V Pick Psycho

Psycho.jpg

I am starting to use these more now. Chicken Picks Bermuda III. much smaller than the Psycho but a better material. 

chicken-picks-bermuda-iii-p-2-7-mm-point

Since I've not played out since covid, I'm just using my fingers mostly now.

I sometimes use a smaller pick for jazz voiced guitars, including a stone pick. On anything else, stone 'chirps', and that is annoying. 

At what thickness does a pick no longer flex, and does one need to go bigger for even less flex. Asking for rct?

18 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

At what thickness does a pick no longer flex, and does one need to go bigger for even less flex. Asking for rct?

Good question. It depends on material, but 0.055" of most plastics (1.4 mm) will flex. I would guess around 0.075" (2 mm) it would not longer flex. Meaning that you could feather pick with no lag.

Bigger? As in longer & wider? That would allow more flex as its spread over a larger surface. 

In practice, the string gauge and the string tension will offer different resistances to the pick. So will the pick attack angle. 

43 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Good question. It depends on material, but 0.055" of most plastics (1.4 mm) will flex. I would guess around 0.075" (2 mm) it would not longer flex. Meaning that you could feather pick with no lag.

Bigger? As in longer & wider? That would allow more flex as its spread over a larger surface. 

In practice, the string gauge and the string tension will offer different resistances to the pick. So will the pick attack angle. 

By bigger I meant thickness. I should have stated that Merc.

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

I've tried those thick picks  I notice that many of the "Shred or die" guys use

must be me being a luddite,  they just don't feel right at all.

I can see thick picks for a bass player, but as a guitarist .8 - .9mm is as far as usually go.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I can see thick picks for a bass player, but as a guitarist .8 - .9mm is as far as usually go.

I've tried em   I don't get it..

I remember at one point  my nephew gave me some picks that were made from coconut shells (I know... right!!!) 

he told me they were supposed to be the bomb.

NNNNNNNNNNNope!  Back to my standard plectrums..

Edited by kidblast

16 hours ago, kidblast said:

I've tried em   I don't get it..

I remember at one point  my nephew gave me some picks that were made from coconut shells (I know... right!!!) 

he told me they were supposed to be the bomb.

NNNNNNNNNNNope!  Back to my standard plectrums..

I used coconut shell picks for a while. Ok if the shell grain is in the right direction, but it usually isn't.