Gibson Brands Forums

What would you do?

Pinch

On 2/12/2023 at 11:37 AM, Dub-T-123 said:

When I bought my first guitar from GC I had never considered to ask for a brand new one from the back or anything like that. I just got the one that was hanging on the wall even though it had a couple dings. It’s a great guitar and I probably wouldn’t have liked a different one as much. At this point there’s no way of knowing what condition it was in when I bought it and I never felt like I got ripped off or anything 

I'm the same way. a couple dings don't bother me at all. what matters is how it feels & sounds.  matter a fact I prefer guitars that come pre-dinged. 

Well, I've sat the pickups to my liking and had the time to sir down with it. 

I'm a nitpicker, and there's a very slight warble on one open string, so I'll probably adress that by filling and re-cutting the nut slot. Or, I might. I got this one to beat the hell out of. 

Some sympathetic resonances have to be tamed using the picking hand when playing certain positions, but I find it hard to consider that a deal breaker (even if my OCD brain is going, "it's too much!" There's a reason they call it "the doubting disease". It's a pain, lemme tell ya...) because this is the best sustaining LP I have ever played. This one puts Nigel Tufnel's LP - the one that still has the ole price tag on it, and can never be played, ever - to shame. It is absolutely INSANE. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/15/2023 at 2:26 AM, Pinch said:

Actually I'll only get to play it next week, due to a lot of unforeseen circumstances, but I'm set on keeping it. I can't go on being this wishy-washy. 

You see gear shows, and look at Slash's live Les Pauls, and half of them have had their headstocks broken, one had the entire neck snapped, the back show 50% extreme wear and tear and there's cigarette burns all over them... And you think, wow, that's a cool guitar. 

Then you buy one yourself and get a microscope out because, that could POSSIBLY be a scratch. Hard to tell. You only stop yourself at the very last moment before you click send on an e-mail with pics attached addressed to one of the world's foremost microscopologists, with the heading "Brace yourself, because this is going to be a bit of an unusual request". 

OCD IS ridiculous, but the anxiety is real. That doesn't stop me from making fun of it, though.  Hopefully, I'll make someone laugh. 

It's a neurotic thing where we absolutely know we're being ridiculous. 

I am a left handed dyslexic with just enough OCD to make me keep my house clean and "in order", and just enough stereotypical, unshaven, beer gut, F-it dude, laziness to stop obsessing because it takes too much effort. Like you, I understand my personal "weirdness", I have no problem talking about it, and I have come to understand that all that crap makes me me. I actually embrace my "weird", and I love to make people smile and laugh as I poke fun at myself. (it is also fun to use my quirks to embarrass my teenaged daughter, who tries hard not to laugh, but always does.) Pinch, by being so open about who you are in your posts, you are making it easier (and kinda fun) for others to talk about their personal quirks. How boring it would be if we were all exactly the same? Every imperfection, chip, ding,  and scratch that my guitars have makes them unique, and each of those scars represent a storied memory. People are no different. Embrace your weird. Own it, control it, and f-ing show it off for all to see. Find me a "normal, well adjusted person" and I will show you a false façade faker hiding the character traits that they think society will judge them by.  Then again, I may just be a rambling idiot who just cross faded Close to you by The Carpenters into Unforgiven by Metallica. 

Laaaa, la,la,la,laaa  Close to you.  (You all know your singing it!)

Edited by Sheepdog1969
clarification
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

I am a left handed dyslexic with just enough OCD to make me keep my house clean and "in order", and just enough stereotypical, unshaven, beer gut, F-it dude, laziness to stop obsessing because it takes too much effort. Like you, I understand my personal "weirdness", I have no problem talking about it, and I have come to understand that all that crap makes me me. I actually embrace my "weird", and I love to make people smile and laugh as I poke fun at myself. (it is also fun to use my quirks to embarrass my teenaged daughter, who tries hard not to laugh, but always does.) Pinch, by being so open about who you are in your posts, you are making it easier (and kinda fun) for others to talk about their personal quirks. How boring it would be if we were all exactly the same? Every imperfection, chip, ding,  and scratch that my guitars have makes them unique, and each of those scars represent a storied memory. People are no different. Embrace your weird. Own it, control it, and f-ing show it off for all to see. Find me a "normal, well adjusted person" and I will show you a false façade faker hiding the character traits that they think society will judge them by.  Then again, I may just be a rambling idiot who just cross faded Close to you by The Carpenters into Unforgiven by Metallica. 

Laaaa, la,la,la,laaa  Close to you.  (You all know your singing it!)

Think many of our 'quirks'  come from some deep-seated, latent fears.  Which we may have either been born with or got before we learned to walk.  Fear of dying - aka Mortality  has got to be up there.  Making us afraid of snakes and spiders and heights.  Ghosts, Aliens ... Wanting to keep a guitar or a car in pristine condition - to prove that WE are ding-proof ??     Avoid damage to your prized leather jacket ...  controlling the risk to it.  Keep it in the closet 99% of the time.     Can controlling people fall into that category?    Arguing about  'stuff' ?

The other possible extreme - buying pre-distressed jeans is apparently normal today. Wasn't 40 years ago.    How about a brand new but 'relic-ed'  guitar ?   Would that ward off the fear of more 'real' dings?  Or your own body getting real dings ?   Fear of death?    Acquiring a 60 year old 'classic'  sports car and keeping it in a climate controlled garage... driving it twice a year on perfect weather days on back roads?      Warding off rust, dings and mortality?   Denial ? 

I've come to the conclusion that I'm a garbled bunch of  phobias that I can only keep in check by realizing there is a little part of me - in my brain - my ego, that uses then to make me feel fear. And, every time I smack it down - it becomes easier.   I try to laugh instead of curse every time my zipper gets stuck.  

Or my guitar gets dinged.   Was a challenge last time - my careless 10y/o granddaughter did it after a 'music lesson'.   Hopefully, she came away less worried about dings. ( But a little more respectful of other people's  'stuff'.  ) 

• Like 1

I really don't like the labels that society might throw on me.

I'm an exceptionally-tidy person, set in my ways.
And I would happily be a serial killer, if the consequences for living out such notions didn't include death in the electric chair.

Let's just leave it at that.

😔

14 hours ago, sparquelito said:

And I would happily be a serial killer, if the consequences for living out such notions didn't include death in the electric chair.

😔

They use to have an expression here, probably in other places -   "He needed killing."    Probably one of the reasons "Yellowstone" is so popular.  Then there's 'Dexter'. 

18 hours ago, sparquelito said:

😔

I'd be more of a surreal killer

th?id=OIP.kOZJLGC1EHMYuvgxcq4IfAHaFj%26p

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 2:56 PM, merciful-evans said:

My pal identifies as OC. He says its not a disorder. On the contrary, he is very orderly.

I identify as what it says on my birth certificate.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 7/23/2023 at 7:58 PM, sparquelito said:

😔

18 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I'd be more of a surreal killer

If I killed Snap, Crackle and Pop. Would that make me a cereal killer.