Gibson Brands Forums

What would you do?

Pinch

Hi guys and girls! 

As you know, I struggle with OCD. 

As you know, guitar stores often accept returns (for whatever reason). 

If you bought a guitar supposedly new, and it sounds and plays great - better than the other ones in the store - but you notice the pups have been adjusted (NOT at the store) with and the plastic tip on the pup selector that comes unscrewed from the factory is already screwed on - i.e., you KNOW it's a "return", for whatever reason - full warranty, not lifetime over here but still - would you buy it rather than go, hmm, maybe order a factory new one and hope it sounds as good? 

What would make sense to you? 

Edited by Pinch

Keep it. 

It's evidently been set up properly which is why it plays so well.

How do you know the pickups weren't adjusted at the store?

If you know it's a return, how do you know?  Why was it returned?

Edited by jdgm

Thanks guys. We'll see. There are some other considerations too, will keep you posted. 

It's a bit silly even starting this thread, but if the modern world has taught us anything, it's that if you deal with any kind of issue, like OCD, you're not only entitled to make the world listen to your neurotic quirks - it's MANDATORY😉

• Haha 2

First, if it IS a return, the store should have informed you of that before letting you buy it.  And if it IS a return it's technically previous owned and should have had a lower price than a new one. If not, you've been had.  I'd insist on some money back because I was sold used goods without being told it was used.  And if they refuse I'd insist on a full refund and go hunting elsewhere for it's replacement and also NEVER go back to that place again.  Not even for picks.  Plus, I'd try to find somewhere or someone to go to for the therapy to stop me from using my neurotic quirk as a crutch.  [wink]

Whitefang

When I bought my first guitar from GC I had never considered to ask for a brand new one from the back or anything like that. I just got the one that was hanging on the wall even though it had a couple dings. It’s a great guitar and I probably wouldn’t have liked a different one as much. At this point there’s no way of knowing what condition it was in when I bought it and I never felt like I got ripped off or anything 

7 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

And dude! I've said it b4, I'll say it again,

In todays world, you're not normal unless you're functionaly disfuntional.

Welcome to the club sir.🙃

Ha ha, yeah, it's almost a merit badge in today's world... Which can go overboard, but I do think it's good to be upfront about these things, at least to a point. I'm not a worst-case person that you'll find in docunentaries, but it's definitely an issue that affects me in certain areas of my life. It's not something I'm ashamed of (anymore). 

I mean, it's not like I like Ibanez guitars or something. 

5 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

I met a '90ish prototype neckthru LP Ibanez. Just a one night stand as I'm a sucker for a neckthru. But it wasn't like I'd take her home to meet mom.

Ha ha, I hear ya. 

I'm not really raggin' on Ibanez, it was more of a joke, even if they're not for me. To each their own. If Nita Strauss prefers Ibanez guitars, well... Which one of us landed the Alice Cooper gig? 

She seems like a cool person too, and a good role model for getting more women into playing guitar. 

On 2/13/2023 at 1:14 PM, Big Bill said:

You'll probably go OCD on another one they pull out of the back of the store. So if this on is as you describe, I would suggest getting it.

You're absolutely right. 

It's time to let go. Warranties are there for a reason. 

well you have now had it for a few days right?  and you've played it right?  

yep, it's definitely used now!  I know! Sorry.. I'm no help

I'll see myself out of this thread.

but serioulsy tho... 

I would have appreciated knowing it was a return when I set my sights on buying it.  so yea, I kind of get it, but if it's feeling like a keeper, and not all spooged up, that would not be a show stopper. 

11 hours ago, kidblast said:

well you have now had it for a few days right?  and you've played it right?  

yep, it's definitely used now!  I know! Sorry.. I'm no help

I'll see myself out of this thread.

but serioulsy tho... 

I would have appreciated knowing it was a return when I set my sights on buying it.  so yea, I kind of get it, but if it's feeling like a keeper, and not all spooged up, that would not be a show stopper. 

Actually I'll only get to play it next week, due to a lot of unforeseen circumstances, but I'm set on keeping it. I can't go on being this wishy-washy. 

You see gear shows, and look at Slash's live Les Pauls, and half of them have had their headstocks broken, one had the entire neck snapped, the back show 50% extreme wear and tear and there's cigarette burns all over them... And you think, wow, that's a cool guitar. 

Then you buy one yourself and get a microscope out because, that could POSSIBLY be a scratch. Hard to tell. You only stop yourself at the very last moment before you click send on an e-mail with pics attached addressed to one of the world's foremost microscopologists, with the heading "Brace yourself, because this is going to be a bit of an unusual request". 

OCD IS ridiculous, but the anxiety is real. That doesn't stop me from making fun of it, though.  Hopefully, I'll make someone laugh. 

It's a neurotic thing where we absolutely know we're being ridiculous. 

Edited by Pinch

3 hours ago, Pinch said:

Actually I'll only get to play it next week, due to a lot of unforeseen circumstances, but I'm set on keeping it. I can't go on being this wishy-washy. 

You see gear shows, and look at Slash's live Les Pauls, and half of them have had their headstocks broken, one had the entire neck snapped, the back show 50% extreme wear and tear and there's cigarette burns all over them... And you think, wow, that's a cool guitar. 

Then you buy one yourself and get a microscope out because, that could POSSIBLY be a scratch. Hard to tell. You only stop yourself at the very last moment before you click send on an e-mail with pics attached addressed to one of the world's foremost microscopologists, with the heading "Brace yourself, because this is going to be a bit of an unusual request". 

OCD IS ridiculous, but the anxiety is real. That doesn't stop me from making fun of it, though.  Hopefully, I'll make someone laugh. 

It's a neurotic thing where we absolutely know we're being ridiculous. 

Dropping good hard earned cash down on a guitar does have some weight to it.  if you think something is fishy, it's a natural reaction to at least consider what's going on.

My neurosis appears when I put the first ding in a new guitar.