Gibson Brands Forums

Got My Dove Back From The Luthier!

BluesKing777

Setup, new bone saddle and some fretboard and cosmetic repairs - all done...and it plays and sounds great. GREAT!

I got the 2005 Gibson Dove from a secondhand/pawn shop place in 2018 - someone had written all over the top. Mostly gone now - any more rubbing and it would go through the clear coat, I was told.The saddle was tusq or plastic, now bone!!!

Cost them a bit too!

May have been their children writing on it, perhaps?

Anway, the eagle-eyed will notice there were some marks on the upper bout edges - someone had left the guitar on a guitar stand too long and melted it in to the guitar...

Rubber bits now removed and a touch up of red finish in the holes....

Strange little divots along the edge of the fretboard fixed.

And...the most wonderful setup - fairly horrible home setup before!

And...my pet peeb, why oh why do they build a beautiful guitar and put plastic saddles on them.

It came with the full Baggs Anthem someone had put in it - it is road warrior ready. biggrin.gif

Before:

ptyTnBq.jpg

Now:

qiTvLHc.jpg

pbZLVIv.jpg

BluesKing777.

• Like 2

Nice looking Dove.  
Not sure why Gibson skimps on parts. The most vital parts to get the best tone.     But with Gibson cutting corners on wood, parts, not taping the inside rims to stabilize the sides.   Just a bad way to build a good business relation with the customer. 

So far so good. The tattoo must be seen as part of it's personality (U know). That's just how it is.

But why people don't carve'n'sand their own bone-saddles is beyond me. Even for fumble-fingers is pretty easy and without any risks btw.                                                                                                                                                        The feeling of having done it is really worth it - you get closer to your instrument, , , and become a victor.

2 hours ago, jibberish said:

What did it cost you at the pawn shop???

In 2018 any pawn shop would have known about guitars on the internet. So I can't imagine one would let it go for any kind of steal.

Well, it was cheap for here in the badland!

It is a matter of 'presentation'.......Someone had written all over it with texta, it was covered in dirt and dust and just about unplayable with a bad setup, crooked nut slots, plastic saddle filed too low by an amateur....and it sat there for sale and anyone who picked it up to try thought.....yuk (nice word for the forum).

I have scored quite a few guitars at the same shop and taken to my luthier eventually to get 'up to speed'. He has a bag of magic dust he waves on it and it comes back....'better than a new guitar', to me, because it is older wood. And then it sports a wonderful setup and action.  And he has guitar polish he bought from the Elves - shiny! Delighted!

The luthier/tech quoted me a guess on the value, just in conversation and it is now 3 times plus what I paid. Except.............I ain't sellin'  😁😁😁

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Setup, new bone saddle and some fretboard and cosmetic repairs - all done...and it plays and sounds great. GREAT!

I got the 2005 Gibson Dove from a secondhand/pawn shop place in 2018 - someone had written all over the top. Mostly gone now - any more rubbing and it would go through the clear coat, I was told.The saddle was tusq or plastic, now bone!!!

Cost them a bit too!

May have been their children writing on it, perhaps?

Anway, the eagle-eyed will notice there were some marks on the upper bout edges - someone had left the guitar on a guitar stand too long and melted it in to the guitar...

Rubber bits now removed and a touch up of red finish in the holes....

Strange little divots along the edge of the fretboard fixed.

And...the most wonderful setup - fairly horrible home setup before!

And...my pet peeb, why oh why do they build a beautiful guitar and put plastic saddles on them.

It came with the full Baggs Anthem someone had put in it - it is road warrior ready. biggrin.gif

Before:

ptyTnBq.jpg

Now:

qiTvLHc.jpg

pbZLVIv.jpg

BluesKing777.

Love it !

JC

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Well, it was cheap for here in the badland!

It is a matter of 'presentation'.......Someone had written all over it with texta, it was covered in dirt and dust and just about unplayable with a bad setup, crooked nut slots, plastic saddle filed too low by an amateur....and it sat there for sale and anyone who picked it up to try thought.....yuk (nice word for the forum).

I have scored quite a few guitars at the same shop and taken to my luthier eventually to get 'up to speed'. He has a bag of magic dust he waves on it and it comes back....'better than a new guitar', to me, because it is older wood. And then it sports a wonderful setup and action.  And he has guitar polish he bought from the Elves - shiny! Delighted!

The luthier/tech quoted me a guess on the value, just in conversation and it is now 3 times plus what I paid. Except.............I ain't sellin'  😁😁😁

BluesKing777.

"Cheap" is as much as you're willing to give us???

2 hours ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

Beautiful guitar and it's even more beautiful after restoration. I am not a fan of "relic marks" on guitars, even if they are of natural causes. It should look like new, but sound like Heaven itself.👍

Hi OrdinaryNimba. Your last line made me wonder what you play yourself. Look forward to glimpse maybe even hear a slice of the deeper sky. . . [thumbup]

• Like 1

BK, it seems like your trusty luthier did a bang up job. Hope you get years of enjoyment from your new-to-you lovely Dove.

Just curious, what was written on it? Autographs? Names of venues where the guitar was played? Lyrics? Political slogans? Sage advice? A madman's ravings? Recipies? 

Red 333

2 hours ago, Red 333 said:

BK, it seems like your trusty luthier did a bang up job. Hope you get years of enjoyment from your new-to-you lovely Dove.

Just curious, what was written on it? Autographs? Names of venues where the guitar was played? Lyrics? Political slogans? Sage advice? A madman's ravings? Recipies? 

Red 333

one can see the word "LOVE" and what looks to be a faded Peace Sign,

so yea  definitely Madman's ravings...  🤪

Edited by kidblast

4 hours ago, Red 333 said:

Red 333

Yeah, still a light trace of scribble there - the luthier said he could take it down further but it would start to eat in to the clear finish.

I took it to him to get a nice setup and bone saddle and asked if it was possible to get any more of the scribble off (guy at a shop where I bought it said he spent 12 hours rubbing it off).

I told my luthier I was mainly concerned with sound and playability, don’t spend too long on the scribble.

When everything was done, he called me and said he a nice surprise for me.

But main thing.....it plays and sounds...sensational!

I joked that I should get a bright paisley shirt and a bandana to wear while playing this guitar........then I thought that may have been the problem! Scribble says: 

One Love!!!

then a drawn peace symbol, ban the bomb?

Incognito (in hand drawn banner) 

Blues.

It is the name of a song played by a band.

Looks good now - he also did a touch up on the spots where it had been left and marked on a cheapie guitar stand - fear of forumites! He fixed some strange needle marks and removed some rubber stuff stuck to the sides, probably also from guitar stand.

Someone had filed the saddle way too low on the high E string side. Made clunk noises on frets 7-

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

All I can say is that as a teen, I was easily lead!

My first guitar, a don’t know the name acoustic, got a purple metal speckle spray on the top along with the school friend and his guitar. Yep, it was his idea but I thought it would be good. Nope.

Just played my Dove plugged again to triple check the undersaddle pickup part of the Anthem didn’t move during the installation of the bone saddle.......

Sounds really good, phew!

It would have been a popular guitar at the bar I played years ago with I think it was 80? Or was that 40? Types of bourbon......I played my very shiny metal Dobro and everyone remembered it, and lots of questions. Would have been fantastic to pull out the cherry Dove! The bar owner kept saying to do that song about Hot Dogs again, Blind Lemon - he would sell his hot dogs with a grin from the kitchen booth! I personally could not imagine anyone wanting one but I saw the back area!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Not much whirled peas or bomb banning been going on, has there?

Seems about everyone has the bomb except me.

So the dove goes up for peace, or was that weddings?

Maybe a blood red Dove is for something else? A real family of doves live in my veranda - why live in the nasty wild.

But I am itching to down tune the Dove, but not game to wreck the setup just yet, and a fab setup it is! And even though I have done this a few times now, getting a pawn shop rescue repaired....I still can’t believe what a great job the luthier does.......like I have just bought another guitar or something.

I was thinking to get a bone saddle on my Blues King L-00 at last, but when I looked at it, there is a bone nut already! I must have got it done with a setup back in 2008 or so! 

I have a couple more jobs for the luthier before he.......gulp........retires! But for now, a red Dove is calling and I am playing only it for the weekend at least!

BluesKing777.

6 hours ago, jibberish said:

The guitar certainly is wonderful! No doubt about it!

The story, however, would be more interesting knowing how much (or how little) money was spent buying and restoring it.

I haven’t mentioned the costs because where I live everything is 2 - 3 times the price you would pay in the US, and you probably would not understand any of it and it is hard to explain.

For example, looking at a guitar shop in Sydney, a brand new Dove for sale is $AU7,999. A L.00 Standard is $AU5,199.

So at least double as it would cost in the US. .......more for some things.

I use to order guitars from Elderly or similar, get it delivered Fedex, our exchange rate was good and all was coochy. Your previous government changed the rules so we had to buy from a local dealer and of course, they put the prices up even more. No more Fedexing.

Got it?

So $AU2,500 to buy my 2005 Dove plus $AU400 to fix it are great numbers here!

P.S. Further example.......at a local acoustic shop, the price for a new Gibson 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge Heritage Cherry acoustic (that is a mouthful to say!)  is listed at $AU9,699.

At Sweetwater, it is $US5,199

if I could order direct like I use to be able to, can’t.....I would get it for $AU8,838.30............$AU1310.70 LESS!!! Aye Yi Yi Yi!!!

Except I have lost interest in buying new, why would I when I prefer a 20 year old guitar fixed up? Broken in but preferably not broken............

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777