Gibson Brands Forums

I love my Les Paul.

Maple

Almost two months ago i got my first Gibson Les Paul... a Goldtop Traditional.

the thing is beautiful... great quality all around and play amazing right out of the box. i need to raise the action a bit, kind low for my taste... but it's amazing how it is so low and no buzz at all. i love the smell of the nitro every time i pick it up ;)

but the best part of course is the tone. or tones is a better way to put it, cause it can cover so much ground. I knew it would be great for rock, overdrive and distortion, but it's the clean tones that really knocked me out. i'm a big fan of Johnny A. and he's the reason i wanted a 339 (which i got last year)... but i gotta say i think i like the clena tone of the LP better than the 339. the 339 is sweeter but the LP has more body. hard to explain... anyway.. the Les Paul is one versitile guitar!

i played strats since i started and i always heard the argument; " you can make a strat sound like an LP but you can't make an LP sound like a strat"... well i tried to my make my strat sound like an LP for a long time.. and it just doesn't work. don't get me wrong i still love strats.. they're great at what they do... but they are just not LP's. funny thing... i'm rough with my strats, htey get banged and scratched all the time... but i baby the Les Paul.. i like it looking shinny and new.

anyway it took me a really long time to do it, but i'm glad i finaly did get a Les Paul.

goldtop1.jpg

Congrats. Gold top is awesome. Don't get me wrong, I love the visible flame of my honey burst etc. but the gold top has such a classic and classy look without being pretentious or garish. To me it is the epitome of a Les Paul.

Looking Good, Maple! That is a nice Traditional Goldtop. Those '57 Classics are the pickups for me. I have them in my LP & SG. As for a strat sounding like a LP, I never heard it done, not even with humbuckers. The tone & sustain just isn't there without a set neck, mahogany body and maple cap. If I roll off the tone knobs and with the right amp I can get a pretty good Strat tone with my LP.

Nice guitar! Glad to know you are liking her that much. I am with you when it comes to caring for them... I can bang my fenders into anything as many times as I want to (and they hold up great, you could nuke them and they would still be playable!) but my gibbies get treated with respect and care. Enjoy yours, she's a great guitar from the looks of her!

Great LP!

I am thinking of a Traditional too (as if I need it, my faded is fantastic) because I love the '57 classics

in my SG and the gold top has that kind of class.

As to getting a Strat sounding like an LP: my EC Strat with the TBX gets pretty close

especially with my Lonestar Special and the Ibanez TS 808.

But only close. Nothing beats a cranked LP.

Hey yall...just wanted to chime in on the most excellent observation on the subject of the handling of Strats vs. Les Pauls...IMHO, Strats are a dime a dozen & look better banged-up and mis-used, whereas an LP is best served gently aged and lightly worn with that genuine pantene yellowing and that "been under the bed hiding" smell...my .02...(dig the forums, thanks yall)

Almost two months ago i got my first Gibson Les Paul... a Goldtop Traditional.

the thing is beautiful... great quality all around and play amazing right out of the box. i need to raise the action a bit' date=' kind low for my taste... but it's amazing how it is so low and no buzz at all. i love the smell of the nitro every time i pick it up :)

but the best part of course is the tone. or tones is a better way to put it, cause it can cover so much ground. I knew it would be great for rock, overdrive and distortion, but it's the clean tones that really knocked me out. i'm a big fan of Johnny A. and he's the reason i wanted a 339 (which i got last year)... but i gotta say i think i like the clena tone of the LP better than the 339. the 339 is sweeter but the LP has more body. hard to explain... anyway.. the Les Paul is one versitile guitar!

i played strats since i started and i always heard the argument; " you can make a strat sound like an LP but you can't make an LP sound like a strat"... well i tried to my make my strat sound like an LP for a long time.. and it just doesn't work. don't get me wrong i still love strats.. they're great at what they do... but they are just not LP's. funny thing... i'm rough with my strats, htey get banged and scratched all the time... but i baby the Les Paul.. i like it looking shinny and new.

anyway it took me a really long time to do it, but i'm glad i finaly did get a Les Paul.

[img']http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss313/BCmaple/goldtop1.jpg[/img]

Thats good. As long as you don't LOVE it. ha ha

I also recently bought a 2009 les paul traditional (Cherry Sunburst) what an amazing guitar. Good choice on the guitar I bounced back and forth and hummed and hawed but choose the cherry over the goldtop. HARD CHOICE. The new plek technique and the kluson tuners and 57 reissue pickups sold it for me.

Before this guitar I was primarily playing the new tele and using the 75 for zep and aerosmith type chops on stage....but now the traditional has taken over completely (i feel im neglecting my other guitars ;) )

My Setup:

1975 Les Paul Deluxe (wine red)

2009 Les Paul Traditional (as above)

2008 American Tele

2008 Larivee LV-03R

Mesa Boggie Triple Rectifier Head

Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 closed cabinet

Line6 M13 Stompbox

Vox 847 Wah

Archived