Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Cables

IanHenry

At a gig last night I had a guitar cable fail on me, I've been using Fender ones which are "guaranteed for life" (does anyone ever actually return them when they fail?) but this is the second  one that's failed recently.

Can anyone suggest a good guitar mid-priced guitar cable that can be relied upon?

I don't want to go silly price wise because of course they often "disappear".

34 minutes ago, IanHenry said:

At a gig last night I had a guitar cable fail on me, I've been using Fender ones which are "guaranteed for life" (does anyone ever actually return them when they fail?) but this is the second  one that's failed recently.

Can anyone suggest a good guitar mid-priced guitar cable that can be relied upon?

Hell yes return it. Email or call Fender C S, and get a replacement. Chances are it failed where the wires are soldered to the jack from repeated use.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, IanHenry said:

I have used the Lifetime Guarantee a few times. 

Sent email to customer service, they open a ticket, and they only ask for picture of the failed cable - cut it in two pieces to show proof that it's never gonna work again  and they will send you another one.  At least here in the US that's how it worked.  

1 hour ago, Twang Gang said:

I went to these a few years ago and never worry about a faulty cable:

Xvive U2 Digital Wireless Guitar System - Metallic Red | Sweetwater

I did too & they’re great! No more Cord hassle on Stage!

In the Studio I use Monster or Mogami Cords.. I’ve been using them for years & haven’t had one fail me yet. 

2 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

I went to these a few years ago and never worry about a faulty cable:

Xvive U2 Digital Wireless Guitar System - Metallic Red | Sweetwater

That's always seemed like a good idea to me too.

But at a wedding assignment  that had a band instead of the usual DJ the band's guitarist(who was using a wireless system) had something go whacky with it and couldn't get it from loudly sustaining a certain cord from the song they were playing and it drowned out most of the rest of the band for six or seven minutes until he could cut it off somehow.  Bu I'm sure that was a rare anomaly.

Whitefang

6 hours ago, IanHenry said:

I don't usually pay too much attention to the brand. I have Fender, Planet Waves, no-name...whatever. Can't remember ever having one fail on me. I think the last few I've purchased were Planet Waves. I bought a used Monster about 10 years ago and always used that one as first in line from my guitar. Didn't notice anything better or worse about it, but since I paid a little extra I treated it a little special. Until I left it behind at a gig last year. [crying]

So anyway. I would go with Planet Waves if I were to buy new ones now. 

I have an Xvive U2 which I use all the time at home but I can't imagine using it at a gig, that seems a bit risky to me.

I ended up going for a Monster cable, so thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Edited by IanHenry

The last couple I bought were Fender and Orange. 

I only buy premium cables. Some I've been using for 20 years (Whirlwind Leader / Horizon CS / Planet Waves). I used 4 cables to link my signal processor to the amp. 

Before I used premium cables (during 70's) I spent far more on cheap ones. None of them lasted a year - false economy.

We need a poll: who will be here longer, Sgt. Pepper or Gibson's new CEO?  I'll vote for Sgt. Pepper.

Someone here recommended Roland and I've been really happy with that brand.  It's their Black Series, it seems to be well made and doesn't appear to have any sonic degredation that I can tell.

Edited by SteveFord

20 hours ago, IanHenry said:

I have an Xvive U2 which I use all the time at home but I can't imagine using it at a gig, that seems a bit risky to me.

I ended up going for a Monster cable, so thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I used to use my old Shure Wireless. Now I use my XVives for gigs but always bring a Monster or Mogami cable as a back up.. I don’t like Cables when I’m on Stage.. They are annoying…

There is always the chance something can go wrong. From breaking a String, Guitar shorting out, Amp failure, losing your voice or something else.. It’s part of the adventure…

21 hours ago, surfpup said:

All I use anymore are Rattlesnake Cables. No going back for me.

16 hours ago, surfpup said:

Haha.... just checking in. How's everyone been?

I've heard about those cables. I'll have to check them out.

I know we've stayed in tough but it's nice to see you back in the lounge ...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Karloff said:

I've heard about those cables. I'll have to check them out.

I know we've stayed in tough but it's nice to see you back in the lounge ...

They make a "snakehead" cable with no jacket on the last foot or so to run behind your strap better and won't scratch your guitar  since the outer weave is super sturdy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, surfpup said:

They make a "snakehead" cable with no jacket on the last foot or so to run behind your strap better and won't scratch your guitar  since the outer weave is super sturdy.

those are the ones I was just looking at. plan on ordering a few. 

• Like 1