Gibson Brands Forums

Guitars I Wish Were Made Again

NighthawkChris

I have this affinity to 90s Gibsons. I really liked the Nighthawks - not the other variations in 2009 and 2013 or Epiphones - and the Les Paul Gem series - Studios with fancy paint and P90s. I’d pony up some dough for a nice new NH built like the 90s models… And yeah, the sapphire Gem was the only blue guitar I’d actually buy. But alas, these requests fall upon the deaf ears at Gibson most likely. 

Maybe not to limit the conversation to Gibson models, but other guitar makers’ models would be interesting to know about too. 

Having never played a Nighthawk, I'm mostly ignorant about them. I know they had distinct pickups and an unusual looking bridge. I'd be interested to know what it is about them that you especially like. For example do they have a unique tone? 

Edited by merciful-evans
error

NHs are basically the Fender-Gibson. I prefer the 3 pickup variant over the 2. And Fireburst finish… Like Fender, the strings go through the body and it has 25.5” scale. There are 10 different tones you can choose with the selector switch (4 pole, 5 throw I believe - heard it called super switch before). This involves splitting and combining the pickups in different combinations. It’s lighter than a LP which I like. Thinner body too… 

Tone-wise… sort of a thing of its own. It has elements that you might say sound Gibson-like, and some that make the Strat or Tele tones. I have tried different pickups in them before and I like them just the way Gibson shipped them back then. 

Finding them used isn’t too difficult. I like the more rare Custom variants which have all the Gibson Custom adornments like multi-ply binding, flamed maple top, ebony fretboard, crown MOP inlays… The looks of the guitar are “very” Gibson haha!  They even made some with Schaller trems for a minute there. 

Don’t ever think they will reissue this guitar though… I’d have no issue ponying up for one if they did…

Being the proud owner of both Gibson and Epiphone Blueshawks, I found that the Epiphone was an improvement and not an exact reproduction of  Gibson. The main improvement was that the Gibson had very weak Blues90 pickups where the Epiphone used standard P90s, also the Epi's Hum-Canceling actually works and the fit an finish was better.

oO91gBk.jpg

Also below I modded my Epiphone Blueshawk to be more like the Gibson Lucile Junior. In addition I rotated the controls to be in a better position form playing style.

fsgcjZF.jpg

I wish either one was still in production, but it would be very Kool if Gibson added the Blueshawk to "Epiphones Designed by Gibson line".

The longer 25.5" scale neck is wonderful.

Edited by mihcmac

8 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

NHs are basically the Fender-Gibson. I prefer the 3 pickup variant over the 2. And Fireburst finish… Like Fender, the strings go through the body and it has 25.5” scale. There are 10 different tones you can choose with the selector switch (4 pole, 5 throw I believe - heard it called super switch before). This involves splitting and combining the pickups in different combinations. It’s lighter than a LP which I like. Thinner body too… 

Tone-wise… sort of a thing of its own. It has elements that you might say sound Gibson-like, and some that make the Strat or Tele tones. I have tried different pickups in them before and I like them just the way Gibson shipped them back then. 

Finding them used isn’t too difficult. I like the more rare Custom variants which have all the Gibson Custom adornments like multi-ply binding, flamed maple top, ebony fretboard, crown MOP inlays… The looks of the guitar are “very” Gibson haha!  They even made some with Schaller trems for a minute there. 

Don’t ever think they will reissue this guitar though… I’d have no issue ponying up for one if they did…

I have a Nighthawk, 2 pup variety. My first thought was similar to yours, a Gibson for those that want the Fender scale length and versatility.

I like it a lot, but a few things about it I don't like. It's a bit smaller than a LP......as in feels diminutive. Also as sonically versatile as the pickup configuration is, I just feel the slanted bridge pickup throws off the aesthetics a bit.

But holy cow it does have some nice tones, position 3 on mine is neck and bridge, both split. Flip it back to 2 and the bridge humbucker just screams.

All that said I'd trade it for an M-III in a heartbeat. So I'm hoping they do a new version of the M series, with the upsidedown Explorer neck.

PXL_20230122_232003393

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Being the proud owner of both Gibson and Epiphone Blueshawks, I found that the Epiphone was an improvement and not an exact reproduction of  Gibson. The main improvement was that the Gibson had very weak Blues90 pickups where the Epiphone used standard P90s, also the Epi's Hum-Canceling actually works and the fit an finish was better.

Also below I modded my Epiphone Blueshawk to be more like the Gibson Lucile Junior. In addition I rotated the controls to be in a better position form playing style.

I wish either one was still in production, but it would be very Kool if Gibson added the Blueshawk to "Epiphones Designed by Gibson line".

The longer 25.5" scale neck is wonderful.

The Blueshawk is one I'd really like to try.

I love P90s, the longer neck scale, and only one master volume. It looks lightweight too, and for a guy who switches instruments on stage a lot, that's a plus.

But I'm happy with my Parkers.

And that's one I wish they still made. Dragonfly/Maxxfly. I had to find a used one for Mrs. Notes.

Notes ♫

The Gibson guitars I like ( ES335, and j-45) are still bring made, but the Martins that aren't (except perhaps by the special order Custom Shop) that I'd like to see re-introduced are slope-shoulder versions of the D-18, and D-28, dreadnoughts, as well as the n-20 (the guitar played by Willie Nelson).

RBSinTo

I tried to find a ES-330 a while back. I wanted to try one out. I had hoped the Slim Harpo model at least would be available in the uk. I don't think any did arrive here. Last year I tried the Heritage version (530) and was underwhelmed.

At the same store (Andertons) I tried out two Gibson Chet Atkins Nylon string (1980s ?) guitars. Those were what I was really there for. I didn't much care for those either. I brought home the 2007 HRF III instead. I wonder if there will ever be a mark IV version?

Now NHChris has me pondering about Nighthawks...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

The Firebird series with banjo tuners and the original headstock.

I'd especially like to see the Firebird III.

I will not hold my breath.

I want the one Brian Jones played. Wait those are electric.

5 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I forgot to add Firebirds without that fake Murphy Lab junk.

If I'm buying a new guitar I want it to look like a new guitar, not fake used to fuel my imaginary rock star, road dog stories.

Fake beat to hell is the new Brian Jones FB VII, or maybe a Johnny Winter.

Come on Cesar give the forum what they want. These are the guys that buy them. Slash gets em for free. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

We’re the guys that already bought stuff. Not too many of us actually buying new Gibsons here. Last Gibson I bought was in 2020 and I’ve noticed very few posts of brand new Gibsons here in the past few years

That’s cause we don’t have Jim Irsay money.

That one guy bought a Guild then returned it and then bought a Gretsch . How long will that last?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 8/12/2023 at 3:04 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

That’s cause we don’t have Jim Irsay money.

That one guy bought a Guild then returned it and then bought a Gretsch . How long will that last?

I own 2 recent Terada built Gretsch Guitars..  A White Falcon & George Harrison Duo Jet.. The Terada built Gretsch Guitars arguably are the finest Production Guitars built.. period.. I’m familiar with the G-6119-62 VS Tennesse Rose like I have on order.. They are outstanding as well.. It’s one of my bucket list Guitars & can’t see ever selling it..

The new USA Guild Acoustics I haven’t seen in any store but was open to try.. It was a good Guitar but just wasn’t for me.. 

I have several great Gibson Acoustic & Electrics I’ve acquired over the years.. About the only ones left I want are those 2 Firebird VII’s I posted & one of the SJ-200’s… 

On 8/12/2023 at 1:58 PM, Dub-T-123 said:

We’re the guys that already bought stuff. Not too many of us actually buying new Gibsons here. Last Gibson I bought was in 2020 and I’ve noticed very few posts of brand new Gibsons here in the past few years

True.  I'd go for a Firebird III to round out the collection.

I can't think of anything else that I'd really like to have.  Maybe an ES-Les Paul with  a Bigsby.

Gibson is gonna continue to make limited runs that the collectors will snap up and that Trogly guy too. Slash will surly get another LP with a big chunky neck (gotta keep one of the most important brand ambassadors happy). Looks like some 3 pickup updated LP Supreme (spelled it right this time I hope) will be coming out. ML just got a blue Hummingbird (who saw that coming), and then who know what the new guy is gonna do. One thing he's not gonna do is read any of our posts and use any of those ideas.  Any one know what company the last guy is off saving now? He's been involved with jeans, candy and guitars, so what is the next illogical step? A dying restaurant chain? I would love to have Sambo's back. Remember that place. He could help Elon out with his Tesla's and rocket ships? Apparently NASA doesn't know what they are doing, so Elon needs to show them.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Gibson is gonna continue to make limited runs that the collectors will snap up and that Trogly guy too. Slash will surly get another LP with a big chunky neck (gotta keep one of the most important brand ambassadors happy). Looks like some 3 pickup updated LP Supreme (spelled it right this time I hope) will be coming out. ML just got a blue Hummingbird (who saw that coming), and then who know what the new guy is gonna do. One thing he's not gonna do is read any of our posts and use any of those ideas.  Any one know what company the last guy is off saving now? He's been involved with jeans, candy and guitars, so what is the next illogical step? A dying restaurant chain? I would love to have Sambo's back. Remember that place. He could help Elon out with his Tesla's and rocket ships? Apparently NASA doesn't know what they are doing, so Elon needs to show them.

I don’t know if he’s the guy but somebody needs to help Musk & redesign that Fugly Tesla Truck!!! 

I just repaired pots on my kit Explorer which had frozen up due to oxidation, I used contact cleaner on them but only had to replace one pot. This was my Frankenstein experiment guitar that I installed a left hand tremolo and few other things.  It is all working again, it may look a little strange but it plays. I built this because I couldn’t find an Explorer even close to being setup the way I wanted. 

BZ0dfUy.jpg

On 8/12/2023 at 1:58 PM, Dub-T-123 said:

Last new Gibsons I bought were two 2019 Les Paul Junior tributes. I used them as my gig guitars for a while: the dual pickup in standard tuning - the single pickup in open G. They were super solid but uninspiring. I sold the dual pickup one but I still have the single pup one.  Just don't play it much. For the discerning eye... I eventually ended up with reflector knobs on both (as opposed to those pictured) and I rewired them with each with an Emerson drop in kit. I don't know why Gibson still uses such crappy parts on $1k guitars, but I know how to fix it.

Ue7FShZ.jpg

• Like 2