Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Amps. Are they worth buying?

KingJames78

1 hour ago, KingJames78 said:

I recently purchased a Gibson acoustic with a piezo pickup.

My question is, is an "acoustic" amp worth buying over say something like a positive grid spark?

Note: I do not have an electric guitar, only acoustic.

It depends upon your intentions regarding playing and performing live, in front of an audience.

I have owned two really nice acoustic amplifiers.
The Crate Teluride, and my current one, a 2010 Peavey Ecoustic E110. 

The Teluride saw a lot of action over the years. Band gigs, and solo gigs at the old folk's home.

The Peavey is a 100W amp, featuring a 1-10 in. speaker with 1-3 in. high-freq. horn, acoustic guitar combo. Microphone XLR input with mic EQ controls.

A great busking platform!
And I plan to use it at a gig coming up soon on 22 September.

If you have no intentions of performing live in front of an audience, then the Spark is more than enough.
It offers tones that will please even the most discerning living room or bedroom player.

🙂

My recommendation is to take your guitar with you and play it through some of the acoustic guitar amps. I personally have a Fender Acoustic Junior 100 watt ( without rechargeable battery, the GO version) and I am very pleased with it. My Hummingbird sounds like my Hummingbird when it comes out of that amp, which is the sound I was looking for. I also recommend putting a new battery in your guitar first before you try any amp. Good luck!

Yes, if you’re just playing at home, you don’t need an amp.  However, some people just want one, so there’s no harm in that either.  I use a Roland Street Cube EX.  Got it several (8-9)) years ago and I use it every single week.  Sometimes 2-5 times per seek.  Fifty watts of power.  Plenty of sound for outdoor busking or just playing gently in coffeehouses.

• Like 1

I agree the home amp should be able enough. It should sound great I think.

On acoustic amps in general though. I made the mistake of using one for gigging electric guitar. My reasoning for doing this was that all my tone comes from the signal processor, the amp just needs to be clean. I was wrong, the amp needs to be 'dry'.

It worked for some gigs but sometimes it just sounded wrong. A dedicated acoustic amp has a broader EQ range. When used for an electric guitar in a band environment it doesn't sit so well in a mix. The extra highs & lows get in the way of the other instruments. Anyone want a Fishman Loudbox Artist?

Edited by merciful-evans

14 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I agree the home amp should be able enough. It should sound great I think.

On acoustic amps in general though. I made the mistake of using one for gigging electric guitar. My reasoning for doing this was that all my tone comes from the signal processor, the amp just needs to be clean. I was wrong, the amp needs to be 'dry'.

It worked for some gigs but sometimes it just sounded wrong. A dedicated acoustic amp has a broader EQ range. When used for an electric guitar in a band environment it doesn't sit so well in a mix. The extra highs & lows get in the way of the other instruments. Anyone want a Fishman Loudbox Artist?

If you go that route Fishman makes some good ones..

5 hours ago, greywolf said:

I run a Mesa Rosette (2 ch, 300w , DI outs) and use for the acoustic artists in the Cafe' I work at.  Bullet proof , versatile , crystal clear . Mic input , I've even run my bass through it . Amazing amp

Mesa's are killer. When I played electric guitars I had a Mesa TA-15 Head (Trans Atlantic). I ran it through a Fender extension cab with 1x12 Weber Speaker. It had switches on it that was the classic Mesa grit, and one to sound like a Vox and one to sound like a Marshall, or was it Fender? What I really liked about it was the switch to go from 5 to 15 to 25 watts.  My buddy had the TA-25.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 8/11/2023 at 8:40 PM, KingJames78 said:

I recently purchased a Gibson acoustic with a piezo pickup.

My question is, is an "acoustic" amp worth buying over say something like a positive grid spark?

Note: I do not have an electric guitar, only acoustic.

Yes I think they are worth having,  but that's just me. 

I like having one handy for those times when I want to have some  effects.  I will usually set the volume just a bit above the primary sound of the acoustic unamped.

Adds some atmosphere,  with reverbs and delays to feed the muse when I'm just noodling and an idea hits.   

I have a few different amps with no reason other than I just decided to pick them up at different points in time

- a first Generation Fender Acoustasonic bought in 2005

- Fishman Loudbox Artist - bought in 2017

- Newer Generation Fender Acoustasonic (not to GO version but the one without the battery) - bought last year

I've used them in live situations and just for slacking off at home.

I like the new fender's effect the most, but when it comes to gigging and when you need a light on the go setup, the Fishman is the real deal.  Loud Clear, decent sounding for both vocals and guitar. 

You may also want to look into a Tonewood Amp which attaches to the back of your guitar.   I have one and use it on all my acoustics.  Some ppl don't like them.  worth checking out and getting your own opinion.

So my opinion is if you think you want one, you probably do.  Need ?  no,,  but this is not that.

Edited by kidblast

2 hours ago, greywolf said:

I have an original Boogie and a 800W Mesa Bass amp with thier 2x15 cab .. so yeah I'm a fan big time.  I also love my PRS DG 30 ( hand wired 30w EL84 2 x12) for both acoustic and electric work. 

I was stationed in Petaluma when in the USCG, and while there I found out they are made in that little town, famous for chicken farms and an arm wrestler. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up a used Fender Acoustic 100 for a spare to help out at the Cafe' I run sound for .  2 seperate channels , simple controls , built in effects for each channel and XLR DI outs .  Warm and easy , perfect for Open Mic duty .  Even new these are a great bang for the buck .  Played my electric fiddle through and it's delicious. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, greywolf said:

I just picked up a used Fender Acoustic 100 for a spare to help out at the Cafe' I run sound for .  2 seperate channels , simple controls , built in effects for each channel and XLR DI outs .  Warm and easy , perfect for Open Mic duty .  Even new these are a great bang for the buck .  Played my electric fiddle through and it's delicious. 

I have seen those online.

Would love to play thru one some day!
🙂

On 8/11/2023 at 9:06 PM, KingJames78 said:

Yeah just a home player.  Thanks for your input

If you're just playing at home try a Bose S1-Pro. It'll take 2 mics, I use an SM57 for guitar and an SM58 for vocals. It will gig for many hours on a charge with no power needed and sounds fabulous in that low volume setting.

I gig a little (acoustic) and will use multiple set ups with different Bose/p.a.  units and a Carvin 100 watt 1;12 acoustic amp if needed. I'm thinking about turning my old Blue Angel (electric guitar amp) into a Rosette.

There are no rules.