Gibson Brands Forums

This is Just Wrong

IanHenry

I'm really concerned about the use of AI corrupting the integrity of an artist's work. Once you've let the AI genie out of the box you'll diminish Human creativity to a point where nothing is real, anyone sitting at a keyboard can be the next Leonardo Da Vinci or Mozart. 

Regarding this "John Lennon" YouTube clip, the Man's dead and has been for forty-plus years, is it not better to enjoy what he created and not make things up on his behalf?

There was a real estate ad on Facebook, in a couple of the local groups. It had one blatantly racist statement in it, referring to the local demographics. I messaged the seller and innocently asked why they felt it necessary to include this information. They were aghast! They said the ad was written by AI and they hadn’t proofread it. It was promptly changed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It seems disrespectful. John is not here to endorse nor object. Personally I doubt he would approve.

However, there is no stopping tech. How its used is another matter. Perhaps it will become regulated eventually, but you cant 2nd guess what's coming next. 

It amused me when autotune was being applied to singers. Singers were vitriolic in their condemnation, but where were they when drum machines were introduced? They likely used them at some point in their careers, and auto accompaniment as well. 

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

I usually don't give a crap about this stuff

but somehow that's a bit more than a few steps over the line.

I prefer to be one or two tokes over the line. I am dreading what this new Beatles song is going to be. The two that came out with the Anthology sets were poop. I loathed both of them. Thanks Jeff from ELO for producing that swill.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

The ability of AI goes far beyond assaulting the integrity of musicians and their music.

And as it is used more and more in the future to cloud and distort reality and truth, we will find faked videos of John Lennon and Tom Waits to be the least of our problems.

RBSinTo

• Thanks 1

I was thinking to myself just the other day that AI might in fact be the last best chance for long term continuance of tolerable society in times to come - albeit with some damned unpleasant stuff to suffer through in the interim...

Then I thought of other things.

On 8/14/2023 at 10:08 AM, ksdaddy said:

There was a real estate ad on Facebook, in a couple of the local groups. It had one blatantly racist statement in it, referring to the local demographics. I messaged the seller and innocently asked why they felt it necessary to include this information. They were aghast! They said the ad was written by AI and they hadn’t proofread it. It was promptly changed. 

If someone from the appropriate group were to sue them for all they own, it would put the necessary brakes on all this "AI" bee-ehs'.    Saw an ad on tv for AI designed eyeglasses. Lens, not the frames.   

Like Sparque - I will not click on anything that is described as being AI  created.  

In this case -  John Lennon's estate should bring the perpetrator to court and sue them for all they own.   Slaps on the wrist, or  'tsk, tsk, tsk' isn't going to stop this.  Once Pandora's Box is opened - we won't get the Genie back in after granting our 3 wishes.  

A good start would be to usurp the nerds self-congratulatory naming of this as 'Artificial Intelligence' and call it what it really is  -  "Computers Telling Us What To Do, Think and More." 

On 8/14/2023 at 5:01 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I prefer to be one or two tokes over the line. I am dreading what this new Beatles song is going to be. The two that came out with the Anthology sets were poop. I loathed both of them. Thanks Jeff from ELO for producing that swill.

Interesting how the two of us could be at polar opposites when it comes to those two songs from the Anthology albums.

Me personally, I am quite fond of them.
A lot of reasons for that;
They include John's actual voice, singing the songs he wrote himself. (Or was nearly finished writing.)
The other 3 Beatles played and sang on them to help finish the songs.

Were there ELO tinges to the songs?
Of course.
But it's Jeff Lynne, man.

And he admittedly put a lot of work into producing those two songs.
We're talking about the days before Pro Tools.
Jeff was cutting tape, slowing down and speeding up tape machines, and using old school EQ and sliders to filter out the cassette tape hiss, while preserving the clarity of John's voice.

So, on one hand I am adamantly against AI-created 'music'.

But I respect the work that goes into producing, playing, and singing actual human music, even if it uses voices recorded many years prior.

Here's a question;
How did you like (or dislike) Natalie Cole's duet with her father on Unforgettable?

🫠

43 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Here's a question;
How did you like (or dislike) Natalie Cole's duet with her father on Unforgettable?

I've probably heard it once and I guess that is how impressed I was. 

The one with Elvis and L M. Nope not having any of it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I'm sure AI will have many benefits for Mankind but as with anything, when it gets into the wrong people's hands (which is inevitable) it will become a liability.

As regards messing with an artist's work as in this example it's very dangerous, not so much for people frequenting these forums but young people.  If you tell a lie often enough it soon becomes the accepted truth.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greywolf said:

I like AI for art , but I'm very old school for music .  Give me Vinyl, Give me Tubes, Analog 4ever!

I love vinyl too, but they keep skipping every time I hit a bump on a cross country road trip. I still buy CD's, and vinyl and when I go to sleep I use my ipod with a portable speaker next to the bed. I'm in the use what the situation demands school. I can take my ipod on a road trip and play what I want to hear and never need to be at the mercy of what is on the radio or in area with no signal. I had XM or a while, but I only found myself listening to The Grateful Dead station.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper