Gibson Brands Forums

If You Missed Out On The Blue One There Is A Red One Now

Sgt. Pepper

Rick got another sig model, or maybe the same just red this time. They should engrave the web address to his YT channel on the truss rod cover. At least its not 6k.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Electric-Guitar/Rick-Beato-Les-Paul-Special-Double-Cut/Sparkling-Burgundy-Satin

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I like my 2015 Special a whole lot better.

Reasons?
* Paid for already
* Just one Volume knob and one Tone knob
* More attractive finish
* No pick-guard
* Hipshot locking tuners
* No weird names on the truss rod cover

The 'Les Paul 100' on the headstock is growing on me.

Owning a 2015 Gibson is kind of like owning a 1974 Ford Pinto, and rocking it proud, clean, and shiny.
🙂
ZUqN4EP.jpg

NzE6plo.jpg

9unbtDb.jpg

38 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Reasons?
* Paid for already
* Just one Volume knob and one Tone knob
* More attractive finish
* No pick-guard
* Hipshot locking tuners
* No weird names on the truss rod cover

Owning a 2015 Gibson is kind of like owning a 1974 Ford Pinto, and rocking it proud, clean, and shiny.
🙂
ZUqN4EP.jpg

NzE6plo.jpg

9unbtDb.jpg

2015 was a weird year. I love the kindergartner scribble on the headstock. That was the beginning of the end of the kings reign.

6 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Owning a 2015 Gibson is kind of like owning a 1974 Ford Pinto

Nice looking guitar Sparky.

By the way, I think that actually is a Leo Bowler 100  signature model - from memory Leo was some dude who had a YouTube channel or something really important like that  [thumbup]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I actually had to look this guy up, from Wikipedia; "Richard John Beato (/biˈɑːtoʊ/ bee-AH-toh; born April 24, 1962[2]) is an American YouTube personality, multi-instrumentalist, music producer and educator."

WTF Gibson? Who do you see as your customers nowadays?

To think that anyone that plays would be more likely to buy a guitar because it has some YouTube personality's signature on it is baffling to me. Seems to me it's people who identify as collectors that buy that crap more than people who play.

Hate to be blunt, but holy cow.

I do like the sparkly burgundy finish on the Rick Beato Special, which is weird for me.
(I'm not normally a fan of maroon or reddish finishes.)

And I'm in the minority I guess, in that I actually like Rick Beato, and I enjoy most of his videos.

But still.
Two thousand bones for his signature guitar.

Not happening.

😐

19 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

2015 was a weird year. I love the kindergartner scribble on the headstock. That was the beginning of the end of the kings reign.

2015 was the year I joined this forum. I had just bought my 339 from Andertons. I cant express how shocked I was at the hate on the Nashville guitars. It was passionate and caustic. 

It didn't stop me buying one 6 months later though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

I do like the sparkly burgundy finish on the Rick Beato Special, which is weird for me.
(I'm not normally a fan of maroon or reddish finishes.)

And I'm in the minority I guess, in that I actually like Rick Beato, and I enjoy most of his videos.

But still.
Two thousand bones for his signature guitar.

Not happening.

😐

I think he's a terrific player and very knowledgeable about theory. I watch him occasionally. 

The only 2 regular bloggers I watch now are Phil McKnight and Trogly. I'm not sure why. I have entirely different tastes in gear to both of them.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Narwhal6 said:

I actually had to look this guy up, from Wikipedia; "Richard John Beato (/biˈɑːtoʊ/ bee-AH-toh; born April 24, 1962[2]) is an American YouTube personality, multi-instrumentalist, music producer and educator."

To think that anyone that plays would be more likely to buy a guitar because it has some YouTube personality's signature on it is baffling to me. Seems to me it's people who identify as collectors that buy that crap more than people who play.

I thought that too. At least it didn't say "influencer".

6 hours ago, Narwhal6 said:

As I’ve  been told before you better watch where you’re at, this is a Gibson forum.

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

As I’ve  been told before you better watch where you’re at, this is a Gibson forum.

I get it, they're pursuing the fans of someone I've never heard of before. They feel he has a lot of subscribers, ergo a lot of potential customers.

I've done deep dives on YouTube before, watching reviews of guitars or pedals or amps, and not once have I ever come across this person, so it confuses me, especially since he's not actually a member of a group or band.

My Gibsons predate the artist replicas, the "R" reissues and the VOS line, certificates of authenticity, and the internet in general.

Gibson has evolved to capture the people who buy with the click of a mouse, people who are most likely to be influenced by someone that asks for "likes" on his channel, I guess that's savvy. 

I agree with @SteveFord.  Not too much for a lot.  But these days, it never ceases to amaze me how much is considered a little. 

If you can live without the TOM bridge on the RB special, I like the Gibson TV Yellow Special.  Hoping to find one used for a good price though, because even these today are $1800 at GC which I am not too hot on: 

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/Les-Paul-Special-Electric-Guitar-TV-Yellow-1500000274120.gc?cntry=us

I think a couple years ago, these were like $1600...  I could be wrong, but I'd bet they were a couple hundred bucks less expensive. 

But Steve knows that I am not supposed to buy any other guitars next except a semi-hollow body...  😁  Haven't forgotten! 

2 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

I agree with @SteveFord.  Not too much for a lot.  But these days, it never ceases to amaze me how much is considered a little. 

If you can live without the TOM bridge on the RB special, I like the Gibson TV Yellow Special.  Hoping to find one used for a good price though, because even these today are $1800 at GC which I am not too hot on: 

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/Les-Paul-Special-Electric-Guitar-TV-Yellow-1500000274120.gc?cntry=us

I think a couple years ago, these were like $1600...  I could be wrong, but I'd bet they were a couple hundred bucks less expensive. 

But Steve knows that I am not supposed to buy any other guitars next except a semi-hollow body...  😁  Haven't forgotten! 

Like what do you want on it? Secret compartments for picks? Its an electric guitar. It has 4 knobs, a pickguard, tuners, dot inlays, bridge, stop tail, nut, body, neck, headstock, a TRC, two pickups, a control cavity cover, and a switch. Does an SG or LP have something this guitar doesn't? They may have fancier inlays, binding on the neck or body but that it.

This is the same as the other blue one, just red now.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 8/24/2023 at 10:00 PM, Narwhal6 said:

I get it, they're pursuing the fans of someone I've never heard of before. They feel he has a lot of subscribers, ergo a lot of potential customers.

I've done deep dives on YouTube before, watching reviews of guitars or pedals or amps, and not once have I ever come across this person, so it confuses me, especially since he's not actually a member of a group or band.

My Gibsons predate the artist replicas, the "R" reissues and the VOS line, certificates of authenticity, and the internet in general.

Gibson has evolved to capture the people who buy with the click of a mouse, people who are most likely to be influenced by someone that asks for "likes" on his channel, I guess that's savvy. 

Sure is a tough world for a boomer these days. YouTubers with guitars.. sheesh

Back in my day you bought a guitar with cash or check. The amount of tone particles lost to a digital transaction is staggering 

On 8/25/2023 at 1:10 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Like what do you want on it? Secret compartments for picks? Its an electric guitar. It has 4 knobs, a pickguard, tuners, dot inlays, bridge, stop tail, nut, body, neck, headstock, a TRC, two pickups, a control cavity cover, and a switch. Does an SG or LP have something this guitar doesn't? They may have fancier inlays, binding on the neck or body but that it.

This is the same as the other blue one, just red now.

I was simply agreeing with @SteveFord with everything he said. But not in denial that prices today have just gone up so one has to expect that this guitar is “correctly” priced for today’s market. TBH ever since inflation went crazy, I haven’t had any inclination to buy any gear. Used to new, everything up substantially from a short while ago it seems. There maybe deals to be had, but seems more far and few between. 

9 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

I was simply agreeing with @SteveFord with everything he said. But not in denial that prices today have just gone up so one has to expect that this guitar is “correctly” priced for today’s market. TBH ever since inflation went crazy, I haven’t had any inclination to buy any gear. Used to new, everything up substantially from a short while ago it seems. There maybe deals to be had, but seems more far and few between. 

I lusted after an M-36 for a while but even beat to piss used ones cost your left kidney, and 3k.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Welcome to my zone. I've never heard of the majority of these 'signature' artists anyway. 

Well the dude who's name is on this one is a producer in Atlanta and he does and can play. Not sure if he was ever in a band I heard of. He is knowledgeable on music theory. But I could write what I know about it on the head of a pin. Basically he's a You Tube guy, who makes video's and tells us why the song is great. And rants about artist complaining about using  4 chords of their music, and  then some of his videos get taken down.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Well the dude who's name is on this one is a producer in Atlanta and he does and can play. Not sure if he was ever in a band I heard of. He is knowledgeable on music theory. But I could write what I know about it on the head of a pin. Basically he's a You Tube guy, who makes video's and tells us why the song is great. And rants about artist complaining about using  4 chords of their music, and  then some of his videos get taken down.

So he infringes on copyrights by playing other people's music on his YouTube channel? 

Thanks Gibson for giving us a signature model of a cover band artist. 🙄

• Like 1