Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic guitar for beginner?

cayine

Hello all. so maybe can help me. Maybe somebody can recommend me good acoustic guitar? What means good?

I don't know, I have cheap guitar that bought 10 years ago, and it was maybe 60$ bucks value.

So budget not very important, but important guitar size, strings quality, maybe I can do, or some music workshops can changes something for better playing and learning on guitar, and etc.

what would good start for learning on guitar. Any information, or really helpfull guides would be nice. If you need more accurate budget, sites, maybe I can buy something from 2nd hand just ask me.

I wanna acoustic guitar with steel strings, maybe in future i'm gonna buy one with nylon(I like warm and cosy sound). Wanna electro acoustic, but would be better it have better quality in acoustic mode,

than pluged. Shape - cut off, or not cut off, I somewhere read, cutoff is better when you wanna reach higher frets, and it's give a bit bass for sound. Don't know what shape would be good for beginner.

Just now, cayine said:

Hello all. so maybe can help me. Maybe somebody can recommend me good acoustic guitar? What means good?

I don't know, I have cheap guitar that bought 10 years ago, and it was maybe 60$ bucks value.

So budget not very important, but important guitar size, strings quality, maybe I can do, or some music workshops can changes something for better playing and learning on guitar, and etc.

what would good start for learning on guitar. Any information, or really helpfull guides would be nice. If you need more accurate budget, sites, maybe I can buy something from 2nd hand just ask me.

I wanna acoustic guitar with steel strings, maybe in future i'm gonna buy one with nylon(I like warm and cosy sound). Wanna electro acoustic, but would be better it have better quality in acoustic mode,

than pluged. Shape - cut off, or not cut off https://www.ecgmusic.com, I somewhere read, cutoff is better when you wanna reach higher frets, and it's give a bit bass for sound. Don't know what shape would be good for beginner.

thanks in advance for any help

I've setup some very nice built Alvarez and Ibanez guitars for beginners. I usually setup a low action with silk and steel strings that really helps a beginner. I keep an Alvarez parlor guitar in my office at work. I agree that Yamaha builds some nice guitars too. If possible, have someone who really knows guitar check out the guitar. I've helped quite a few friends. Personally, I would not spend a lot until I know I'm going to stick with it.

5 hours ago, cayine said:

So budget not very important....

Then what the hell, get a used Gibson J45.  There are over 700 for sale on reverb to choose from.  Or a J15.  Have a tech give it a good setup so it plays real easy.  Why mess around?

Epiphone makes some good Budget priced Guitars.. The Made in Korea models are more desirable but many made in China are quite good.. 

If you can find a clean Used Epiphone Inspired by Mc Cartney 1964 Texan it’s a very good choice.. Easy to play Neck Steel string, sounds good, very well built & is Electric.. Plus it’s a very cool Guitar with Beatles connection…

Not to be confused with the made in USA Texan which is an outstanding Guitar but quite expensive… Once you get half way decent & think it’s something you want to do for a long time then upgrade.. I can’t see spending $ Thousands on a beginner Guitar… These days there are pretty decent inexpensive Beginner Guitars.. 

Example.. in the $600.00 range.. 

https://reverb.com/item/65509788-epiphone-inspired-by-1964-texan-acoustic-electric-guitar

Edited by Larsongs

6 hours ago, cayine said:

than pluged. Shape - cut off, or not cut off, I somewhere read, cutoff is better when you wanna reach higher frets, and it's give a bit bass for sound. Don't know what shape would be good for beginner.

Here is a video on a couple of acoustics from Acoustic Letter - they rave about these two budget models on various forums - I have never seen or heard any of them in the flesh, but I played a new Yamaha FS5 (2nd video below), way, way more expensive but also heavily raved about everywhere, at a local shop and it was just beautiful....concert size, torrefied top, based on the famous 60s models we are told....though I personally prefer wider necks and spacing for my fingerstyle playing........but it would be an inspiring guitar to begin on. (or you can ignore us all and go and buy the most expensive acoustic in the local guitar shop! Get the Gibson with all the inlays! 😛)

These 2, you could be like the learner driver in the BMW!

And my preference in guitar shape old and new!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

So if your a beginner wanting a guitar. . What is your music interest. Acoustic or electric?  Are you going to stick with learning or stop because you lost interest ?

As others mentioned Yamaha makes real good guitars that are not difficult to handle.  Even for a  beginner it should be easy to push the strings to make sounds.  Not like the novelty guitars back in the day like the cheap Stella and  Harmony’s     

if your interest is still there your learning improves. Then upgrade to a more expensive instrument . most music stores offer advice and can put you in a direction 

I know of a few folks that started off with Cort or cheap Fender acoustics  and they became very talented in there craft    Good enough to upgrade to Nicer guitars  

No matter what brand you buy if the guitar is not set up correctly it will not be fun to play. If the action is so high it hurts to fret the strings you will not want to play it. There are many decent acoustics out there that are not J-45 or D-28 money. Yamaha makes nice inexpensive ones. Just make sure its set up so it feels nice to play. 

A question many of us here will enjoy speculating on -  even more than when asked  by an Intermediate Player wanting to upgrade from his/her Beginner Guitar. 

I'd steer clear of anything over $1000, just to narrow the field.  If you have access to a good Used Market, you'll find stuff there.  Then,  If And When you feel you've achieved a major breakthrough  (completed Mel Bay #2 ?)   you can reward yourself with a better guitar.    Yamaha makes professional grade guitars, not just Intermediate and Beginner.   Gibson does not make 'Beginners'.   Their subsidiary Epiphone does - in China.   The key - as mentioned above - is to get one that is "Set Up" well.  If you have to fight it, you'll lose.  A good music store, specializing in guitars - with a 'technician' -  should be able to steer you to one they can tweak.   Go with Light strings for at least a year. Not Medium Light.   Don't worry about a 'cut-out', as a beginner you won't be playing that far up the neck on this one.  And, finally, get one that 'looks good'.  If you get an ugly one, you'll tend to leave it in the case. 

6 minutes ago, Murph said:

My daughters was built in Indonesia.

It's a J200EC I think.

Technically, they've been made in a dozen different countries - Korea, etc.  And one could argue they started out in Turkey.  Where Mr. Epiphone started making them out of gourds or something.   Currently, mostly in China I believe...

Edited by fortyearspickn

When I started playing, my world consisted of Harmonys, Kays and their various offerings under different names in mail order catalogs.  So, while common wisdom would seem to point to Yamaha and Eastman, other than some mindless noodlin' in shops, I am unwashed when it comes to the instruments being tossed about as recommendations.

But the point is we are living in a golden age of el cheapo guitars meaning that description no longer includes quality.  As these kinds of guitars tend to be the bread and butter of particularly small shops, I would suggest a couple of road trips.  

11 minutes ago, olie said:

Why not? They get a lot of respect from many people. Just wondering what puts you off them.

In the late 60’s & 70’s they were great.. From what I’ve played in the past few years the cheap ones play like most cheap ones.. To get one that plays & sounds good they’re competing with other great reasonably priced choices from Epi, Sigma, Guild & Gretsch..

I’m not a big fan of made in Indonesia Guitars. But, a lot of made in Korea & China are quite good..

Under $1000.00 I would choose; Epi Masterbilt J-45 or their Texan.. An Epi EJ-160E.. I’ve played some really excellent Sigma’s (Martin), Guilds & Gretsch’s.. Most I’ve liked better than comparable priced Yamaha’s… But, around the $1000.00 range Yamaha’s have usually been quite good..

Remember Gibson owns Epi, but they are like owning the real Gucci Handbag or the Flea Market knock off. Other than the Koreans and Chinese making only 15 cents an hour there many other reasons for the huge price difference. You can spend thousands more, or I have even seen new guitars at Guitar Center for $150. How much did it really cost to make a $150 guitar, and at that price you are still supposed to be making a profit off of it?

Here is a Epi J-45 at $299

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-j-45-studio-acoustic-guitar/423939000010000?rNtt=epiphone j-45&index=3

Here is a Gibson J-45 at $2999

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-j-45-standard-acoustic-electric-guitar/l28131000002000?rNtt=Gibson j-45&index=2

Here is a Yamaha FG800 at $299

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-fg800-folk-acoustic-guitar?pdpSearchTerm=yamaha fg800&tNtt=yamaha FG&tAt=item&tAv=Yamaha FG800 Folk Acoustic Guitar

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

37 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Martin has new models as cheap as $500, and quite a few under $1000. Their website shows a $650 model right next to one that is $125,000!

Yea, the Martin name means nothing anymore. Might be American, might be Mexican, who knows...?